Thread: Eclipse and Java on powerpc

Beans

Eclipse and Java on powerpc

Anybody know how to get the Eclipse IDE to work on powerpc? I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on an eMac G4 1.25, and installed eclipse CDT from the repos, which pulled in a ton of stuff with it.

Starting eclipse results in nothing but the initial splash screen. A process called Java takes the top spot in the task list and sits there burning up CPU to max it out at 100%. It appears stuck there for good.

It is a pretty virgin system except for the automatic updates. It was just installed yesterday.

Beans

Smile Re: Eclipse and Java on powerpc

Quote Originally Posted by teachop View Post
    Anybody know how to get the Eclipse IDE to work on powerpc? I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed on an eMac G4 1.25, and installed eclipse CDT from the repos, which pulled in a ton of stuff with it.

Starting eclipse results in nothing but the initial splash screen. A process called Java takes the top spot in the task list and sits there burning up CPU to max it out at 100%. It appears stuck there for good.

It is a pretty virgin system except for the automatic updates. It was just installed yesterday.

try reading this: http://tiny.cc/eclipseidepowerpc hope that helps

btw, i have an 1.25 GHZ eMac too
    also, if you need some java support that albeit, is a little slow, try IcedTea.
    Last edited by linuxftw3; March 9th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

Re: Eclipse and Java on powerpc

I think that document is to help with targeting PPC for cross-development, rather than as the host OS CPU. Interesting but a different endeavor.

For the time being, I have installed Code:Blocks IDE and am learning how to use it. I have been able to bring in one existing project and build it from the IDE (it is an AVR cross-dev target) and so far so good.

Perhaps since Code::Blocks is "lighter" than Eclipse, this would be on this computer a better solution anyway. Eclipse is so powerful though, would like to get it running and see...

Beans

Still no eclipse, bagging it for now.

After several days developing with Code::Blocks... it is a worthy IDE for c language development. I can recommend it to anybody else not able to get eclipse working on powerpc.

So far I have used it on embedded development projects targeting AVR (Arduino) and ARM (Netduino) boards.

Not eclipse, but very nice in its way.

Beans

I found that the first run of Eclipse has to be as root (sudo eclipse from a terminal). After that it should open from the menus. If you want to install any add-ons (I use PyDev for example) then you have to run as root again.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans

I tried sudo eclipse from the command line, and it sticks at the splash screen the same. Not even the progress bar...