Thread: New laptop battery, weird problem...

Beans

Unhappy New laptop battery, weird problem...

so i bought a new battery for my laptop. laptop turns on from battery. turn off laptop, leave it off for a bit, i try to turn it on again from battery, it wont start from battery. Battery light flashs amber (saying its not charged), but it is charged. if i take out the battery and put it back in, laptop starts up again from the battery. anyone have any thoughts?

Beans

Re: New laptop battery, weird problem...

google calibrate laptop battery. Looks like you have to fully charge the battery (done you say), fully discharge the battery, then fully charge it again.

Beans

Re: New laptop battery, weird problem...

Is that the consensus? That i need to calibrate it?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Re: New laptop battery, weird problem...

I don't think so, unfortunately.

I say this because I've been having a similar problem lately. I'll give you a little background info first. I have a Dell Mini 9. It's about a year and a half old (including the battery). I recently upgraded from Hardy to Lucid because of a Java issue. I've been running Lucid for maybe 6 months and things were great until recently. I've noticed that when my computer is on battery power it only gets an hour at best before Ubuntu starts to flash the critical power signal. (with Hardy, I got maybe 3 hrs) However, when my battery is charging, it takes ridiculously long (maybe 3 hrs) for Ubuntu to see it as fully charged. Recently, I made sure it was completely charged, (ie, no charging light on the comp itself when on AC power) booted Ubuntu up and low and behold, my battery monitor only said 96%. WTH?

This problem only started recently, either this month or last. I've looked through the forums (just searched for 'battery') and it seems that a lot of people are having this issue or a similar one. Since I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu (and even owning a laptop), I really have no idea how to go about fixing this problem. In one of the threads, someone said something about Launchpad, but to me, that means
    C'mon, try Linux. You know you buntu!

Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini 9) Netbook running:
    currently Lubuntu 14.04; formerly Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04