Thread: Desktop is blank - mouse can go off the screen

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Desktop is blank - mouse can go off the screen

I just installed v.10.10 for an HTPC. I am using my 42" HDTV as a monitor via HDMI port. Right now I'm using onboard video and have not installed my video card yet.
    When I booted Ubuntu for the first time, I get to the desktop but there isn't anything else these. No bars, menus, options. I am able to right click but I didn't have much luck there.
    I tried the keyboard command to bring up gnome-panel but again, can't see it. I am able to move my mouse off the screen so perhaps the menus I need are somewhere off-screen?
    I rebooted a few times and always get the same panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Desktop is blank - mouse can go off the screen

Your HDTX is in an 'overscan' mode where the top, bottom and sides are 'trimmed'.

You have two options:

(1) The TV may offer a 1-for-1 1920x1080 mode (mine does and I am typing this using that TV as the monitor).

(2) Your other choice is to set over scan compensation This create a 'black frame' around your desktop so all the menus are visible.

Option 1 is best (check your TV manual or <if male> fool with the TV settings).

Option 2 has to be set in the setup screen your proprietary drivers installed. You did not mention the brand of graphics card you are using.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Your HDTX is in an 'overscan' mode where the top, bottom and sides are 'trimmed'.

You have two options:

(1) The TV may offer a 1-for-1 1920x1080 mode (mine does and I am typing this using that TV as the monitor).

(2) Your other choice is to set over scan compensation This create a 'black frame' around your desktop so all the menus are visible.

Option 1 is best (check your TV manual or <if male> fool with the TV settings).

Option 2 has to be set in the setup screen your proprietary drivers installed. You did not mention the brand of graphics card you are using.

The Hedge

Thanks for the information. Right now I'm using onboard video, the video card has not been installed yet. I wanted to get the new machine up a running with as little extras as possible, then go back and install it once I have all my drivers and updates done.
    You don't happen to have a Sharp Aquos hdtv, do you?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by todd_k View Post
    Thanks for the information. Right now I'm using onboard video, the video card has not been installed yet. I wanted to get the new machine up a running with as little extras as possible, then go back and install it once I have all my drivers and updates done.
    You don't happen to have a Sharp Aquos hdtv, do you?
    Samsung 8000. Using a 55" LED LCD HDTV as a monitor is simply awesome! At work I have a 17" monitor. It feels so small.

Once you have your final video card selected, we can walk you through getting the adjustments right.

Will you be going ATI or NVidia?

The Hedge

Sitting 8 feet away from his 55" monitor...

Beans

Jumping in here - have same problem. Panasonic LED 32" TV/ HDMI (1920x1080) to a Nvidia ION graphics. What am I looking for in the TV Manual?

Beans
    Distro

First place to check is inUbuntu on the NVidia Setup Screen. You have an option (in the second to last - I think) window that sets 'overscan compenation'. Mine is set to zero, with the TV set to 1:1 so I get a full 1920x1080. Your TV may or may not get every pixel, so futz with that setting first.

I don't know where in the Panasonic manuak to check (sorry), but the overscan compensation should get you where you want to be.

The Hedge