Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing windows.

Beans

Exclamation Installing windows.

Hi guys, after a long and painful process i finaly got my windows exe file to run! however, when i click install windows it comes up with "widnows cannot find a location to store any tempory files"
    error code 0x80070490
    can anyone help me out here? i want to completely remove ubuntu and install windows, cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanC View Post
    Hi guys, after a long and painful process i finaly got my windows exe file to run! however, when i click install windows it comes up with "widnows cannot find a location to store any tempory files"
    error code 0x80070490
    can anyone help me out here? i want to completely remove ubuntu and install windows, cheers
    u mean on wine?
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

Yes im running the exe through wine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, you are trying to install Microsoft Windows through a program running inside a Ubuntu/Linux operating system with the purpose of removing Ubuntu. If you succeed you should be given a prize for doing the impossible.

The purpose of Wine is to let Linux users run Windows programs without needing to have Microsoft Windows Installed. It is not designed to run the Windows operating system itself.

If you want to run one operating system inside another operating system then you need to create what is called a virtual machine. It is a program that fools the second operating system into thinking that it is accessing the computer hardware when it is only accessing it through the host operating system.

If you want to install windows and remove Ubuntu at the same time, then just insert the Windows install disc into the CD drive and boot on the CD.

Windows will have difficulty installing onto a hard drive that has been formatted in a Linux format. It will have to format the disc to its own format. It will also need to store files temporarily on the hard disc as part of the install process. It cannot use the Linux formats. This could be why it is telling you it cannot find any temporary file space.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Okay well if thats impossible then im screwed.
    ive tried making bootable discs but cant get them to work, when i re-boot my computer with the disc in, it just gets stuck on a black screen with a flashing blip i the top left, then starts ubuntu as normal. Before you ask, yes, my disc drive is top of the boot list in my bios, and ive tried to force boot from the disc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You sir win the internet today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When running inside wine, the Windows disc will not have access to stuff it needs to actually remove Ubuntu. Did you actually burn the ISO properly or just copy and paste it to the disc? If when looking at the CD in a file browser you see the ISO file, it's wrong. You have to burn it so that it extracts as it burns. I've attached some screenshots to help you find the right options for burning an ISO in a manner that will make it bootable.

Just out of curiosity though, why in the world would you "want" to install Windows? They charge you an arm and a leg, then put up false walls to limit what you can do with your computer unless you pay them even more money. Let's not even start with the advantages of open source software.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans

What? posting on here is usually pointless as you get people like you posting the most unhelpful comments you can get. So thanks for that

Beans

My last comment was aimed at Veggan

Beans

Thanks gerowen, ill try again and make sure i do it exactly how you show and let you know how i get on. I want to go back to windows because i havent really got to use ubuntu properly and found windows more user friendly, although i did really like some things about ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast