Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto: Easily encrypt individual folders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Easily encrypt individual folders

Been using this a while - it works well.
    Although, folders on my SD card appear not to effectively decrypt on a different computer from the one on which it was encrypted.
    Not sure why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Howto: Easily encrypt individual folders

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Been using this a while - it works well..
    Thanks, nice to know.
    Although, folders on my SD card appear not to effectively decrypt on a different computer from the one on which it was encrypted.
    Not sure why.
    Not sure what the problem is there, I would expect it's something to do with EncFS. Random speculation, but maybe it could be a limitation of the filesystem? I'm guessing your SD card is formatted to FAT32, maybe you could try creating an ext2 partition and see if it works then?

Beans
    Distro

OK - my mistake....
    My SD is ext2 (or maybe ext3 - I can't recall!)
    The problem is if when you first run "emount" on the 2nd computer. If you fail to give the correct name to the decrypted folder - it then won't allow you to change it - perhaps ever?
    I've just re-installed and overwritten my old /home
    Having done so - I tried again - and it appears to work OK.
    PS: After running emount script on 2nd computer, and adding correct decrypted folder and password, a restart is required.
    Last edited by ugm6hr; June 28th, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: PS added

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The problem is if when you first run "emount" on the 2nd computer. If you fail to give the correct name to the decrypted folder - it then won't allow you to change it - perhaps ever?
    Ah, in that case it may be a limitation of my script. For now, if you go to System>Preferences>Passwords & Encryption Keys, you will find all the details are stored in a password keyring. If you make a mistake just manually delete the appropriate password from there and then emount again. I think you can edit these from the CLI using gnome-encfs ("man gnome-encfs") if you can be bothered, personally I just delete the key and repeat (which I had to do a lot when debugging ).

Beans
    Distro

One more problem...
    The "Cancel" option needs to actually work.
    If you "enount" a folder accidentally, and then select cancel - it appears that you lose the entire folder contents.
    I can't see any way to recover this, which is less than ideal!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One more problem...
    The "Cancel" option needs to actually work.
    If you "enount" a folder accidentally, and then select cancel - it appears that you lose the entire folder contents.
    I can't see any way to recover this, which is less than ideal!
    Hmm, that is an issue. It should have copied all your files over to another folder first (named emount-temp-[random no.]). So, if that does happen you should be able to just copy the files back from that folder. I'll have to look into handling cancelling properly though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsorcerer View Post
    Hmm, that is an issue. It should have copied all your files over to another folder first (named emount-temp-[random no.]). So, if that does happen you should be able to just copy the files back from that folder. I'll have to look into handling cancelling properly though.
    Apologies... I posted without looking. Yes - it does copy to a temp folder. Perhaps a comment in a troubleshooting section in Post 1 to let people know this?

But - I have an encrypted folder within the folder I accidentally encrypted. Can I just move that back to the prior location - and it will decrypt? Selecting ecrypt from the current location goes through trying to re-encrypt it again...

EDIT: Just copied back the copied encrypted folder to the original location - and it appears to be behaving normally.... Thankyou.
    Last edited by ugm6hr; August 19th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But - I have an encrypted folder within the folder I accidentally encrypted. Can I just move that back to the prior location - and it will decrypt? Selecting ecrypt from the current location goes through trying to re-encrypt it again...
    If you do want to move/rename an encrypted folder, you have two options. Either edit the keyring information with gnome-encfs, run 'gnome-encfs --help' to work out how.

Or, you can just emount it again, as long as you enter the correct decryption password in the creation process, it will simply save a new keyring item and then it can decrypt the existing folder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12