Thread: Wifi issue - Dell 1510 card + BCM 4322

Beans

Wifi issue - Dell 1510 card + BCM 4322

Hey all. This is my first thread and I'm a total newbie to Ubuntu (and Linux) so please bear with me.
    I have a Dell Studio XPS 13 with a Dell 1510n which is based on Broadcom 4322 I believe? I am running 64bit Ubuntu 10.10 from my internal hard drive which also has Windows 7 (hopefully not for too long). Wireless works fine on Windows. Ethernet works on both which is what I'm using right now. Ubuntu doesn't even detect a wireless connection or card... it just shows empty bars with an annoying exclamation mark. before this, I did download Linux STA driver from Broadcom, but I'm not sure if I actually installed it. Also when I opened Additional Drivers, Linux STA driver showed up and I installed it although it says activated but not in use. I've also used Update Manager and everything seems to be up to date. Before writing this, I went through other forums so I ran (sudo lshw -C network) which will hopefully help you help me.

*-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: MCP79 Ethernet
    vendor: nVidia Corporation
    physical id: a
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: b1
    serial: 00:26:b9:1a:fe:0f
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 1GB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.64 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.113 latency=0 link=yes maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
    resources: irq:20 memory:f0888000-f0888fff ioport:30d0(size=8) memory:f0889c00-f0889cff memory:f0889800-f088980f
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:f0400000-f0403fff

I'm a totally new to all this so if you can reply in idiot-proof, it would be great. Thanks in advance for your help... I really do want to get out of Windows. If there is anything else you need to know, please let me know. Appreciate it.

Beans

Re: Wifi issue - Dell 1510 card + BCM 4322

hello..?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luckiestryke View Post
    hello..?

Please see this thread--look familiar?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1701070

Beans

@bkratz It worked perfect, although it feels like the internet is slow (signal is full) but I'll try it out for a while and then get back. Hopefully it's an issue from the service provider.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by luckiestryke; March 9th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luckiestryke View Post
    @bkratz It worked perfect, although it feels like the internet is slow (signal is full) but I'll try it out for a while and then get back. Hopefully it's an issue from the service provider.

Thanks a lot!

Sure am glad to hear that you at least got it running. Let us know the results of your testing, but in the meantime please go to the thread tools and select [mark as solved} just in case it helps someone else (makes it easier to find).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bkratz View Post
    Sure am glad to hear that you at least got it running. Let us know the results of your testing, but in the meantime please go to the thread tools and select [mark as solved} just in case it helps someone else (makes it easier to find).
    Yep, it's running. It seems that there was a problem, but it seems to have fixed itself (I hope!). Will look further into it if the problem continues.
    Also, I will mark this thread as solved. I didn't think of it.

Thanks for yer help!

Beans

Hello, I am using Dell XPS Studio 13. I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on Virtual machine and I have the same problem. I do not think it is a problem of the virtual machine. The ifconfig command shows only 2 interfaces : eth0 and lo. Also I made the change to /etc/modules file as said in this forum and it showed only lp so I added wl as well but it still does not detect any wireless interface.
    Dell Wireless -1510 Wireless-N WLAN MiniCard is the n/w adapter Broadcom company
    I had faced a similar problem on ubuntu 9.10 too
    Please help with this. Please let me know if you require any particular command outputs..