Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will installing Ubuntu create a partition in my hard drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Will installing Ubuntu create a partition in my hard drive?

I'm trying out Ubuntu from a live USB flash drive. The Ubuntu website says that once I decide to install it, I "allocate" memory. Does this mean I can choose how much memory out of the mere 97 gigabytes that I have left on the drive of my HP mini 110 Ubuntu will take up? I assume that it doesn't need much, so would 30 gigabytes be a comfortable amount? Or should I split it evenly?

Right, and for the main question, once I decide to install it, will it create a partition on my drive all on its own?

Note: Would be installing netbook edition 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will installing Ubuntu create a partition in my hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn474 View Post
    I'm trying out Ubuntu from a live USB flash drive. The Ubuntu website says that once I decide to install it, I "allocate" memory. Does this mean I can choose how much memory out of the mere 97 gigabytes that I have left on the drive of my HP mini 110 Ubuntu will take up? I assume that it doesn't need much, so would 30 gigabytes be a comfortable amount? Or should I split it evenly?

Right, and for the main question, once I decide to install it, will it create a partition on my drive all on its own?

Note: Would be installing netbook edition 10.10

Welcome to UF mrtn474
    Yes you can decide how much when you install & 30 GiB is enough.
    You probably want to partition your hdd before you install though.

Actually 10-20 GiB is enough for the system, just depends on how much you want to put on it.
    Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you're running Win7 on the PC (likely guess if it is a new PC), do NOT, repeat, NOT allow the Ubuntu installer to shrink your Win7 OS to make room for Ubuntu. Doing so is asking for trouble, and if you're one of the unfortunate ones, you risk rendering your Win7 unbootable as a result.

Much better approach is to go into Win7 Disk Management and shrink the Win7 OS partition from there. Leave the unallocated space alone after that. The Ubuntu installer can then format that space as needed.

Also, when in Disk Management, look to see if you already have four partitions (Win7 calls them Drives). If you do, you can not simply shrink the OS and create another partition because four is the limit you have. If you charge ahead and do that, you risk turning your Win7 machine into Dynamic Disks -- something you do NOT want to do.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    If you're running Win7 on the PC (likely guess if it is a new PC), do NOT, repeat, NOT allow the Ubuntu installer to shrink your Win7 OS to make room for Ubuntu. Doing so is asking for trouble, and if you're one of the unfortunate ones, you risk rendering your Win7 unbootable as a result.

Much better approach is to go into Win7 Disk Management and shrink the Win7 OS partition from there. Leave the unallocated space alone after that. The Ubuntu installer can then format that space as needed.

Also, when in Disk Management, look to see if you already have four partitions (Win7 calls them Drives). If you do, you can not simply shrink the OS and create another partition because four is the limit you have. If you charge ahead and do that, you risk turning your Win7 machine into Dynamic Disks -- something you do NOT want to do.
    It turns out that I already have four partitions on my drive. My C drive, the others are labeled "SYSTEM," "RECOVERY," AND "HP TOOLS." Since I've already reached the four partition limit on my drive, like you said, does this mean that I have to delete one of them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since I've already reached the four partition limit on my drive, like you said, does this mean that I have to delete one of them?
    You got it - you will have to use the Win 7 utilities to shrink the Win 7 partition and then delete a partition and re-allocate the available space as an extended partition. You can then create logical partitions in the extended partition where Ubuntu can be installed. Which partition to delete? If you delete the restore partition you have lost the capability to reinstall Windows if something goes wrong. I don't know what happens if you delete the HP Tools partition but it appears to me to be the only viable candidate. I haven't had the nerve to do that to my Mini 210 yet.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The other alternative is that you can use the wubi installer. This will install ubuntu on your windows system withput tpuching the partition scheme.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...dows-installer
    Visit the website.
    http://www.knightwise.com
    Subscibe to The Knightcast Podcast and KWTV.
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/feedburner/knightcast

Beans
    Distro

Right now I'm reading the HP forums to see if it would be a bad a idea to delete the HP TOOLS partition.

I've also read about using wubi, which would install linux within my win7 system, right? would that still give me the full ubuntu experience? I feel that it would rely on windows.

Beans
    Distro

Right now I'm reading the HP forums to see if it would be a bad a idea to delete the HP TOOLS partition.

I've also read about using wubi, which would install linux within my win7 system, right? would that still give me the full ubuntu experience? I feel that it would rely on windows.
    Wubi runs nice, but you are correct. It would totally rely on windows.

Can you run the live cd, open Gparted & take a screenshot of your partitions. Attach them to your next post.

I'm wondering if you can back up the HP Tools partition & put it into a logical parition later. A pic would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not exaclty sure what you meant, but here is a screen shot of my partitions.

I read an HP forum, and it said that the HP tools are not that important. However, I still don't have the guts to remove it.

Please excuse me, I'm a total noob :\

Note: just as a reminder, I'm doing this in a netbook. I already have Ubuntu installed on a live USB, which means I've already tried it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I'm not exaclty sure what you meant, but here is a screen shot of my partitions.

I read an HP forum, and it said that the HP tools are not that important. However, I still don't have the guts to remove it.

Please excuse me, I'm a total noob :\

Note: just as a reminder, I'm doing this in a netbook. I already have Ubuntu installed on a live USB, which means I've already tried it.
    Wow, HP Tools is using a whopping 9MB of disk space & has it's own primary partition. Somebody smack HP.

I don't feel comfortable advising you on this, but if you have your windows cd, you may want to use the recovery parition to install Ubuntu. It is just about the perfect size.

On the other hand, an external hdd may be the way to go.

There may be some helpful info, or links here...
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...ion/m-p/395431
    Last edited by Dutch70; March 6th, 2011 at 08:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast