Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Beans

Angry NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Guys, I have just ordered my dell XPS15 with this card in it. I have to run ubuntu for work reasons.. Tried all day to see if this card have the drivers for ubuntu. Any ideas? Really hope there is a way round this so I can keep the laptop

Anyone running a ubuntu laptop using this chip?

Thanks a million!
    Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Hi,

I am running Dell XPS 15 using this chip. Seems to be working fine as long as I do not install the graphics card I am trying to find a way to install as well. Managed to get wireless working too but I updated the kernel. However, I am a noob and I love the way Ubuntu is working on the laptop. I am trying to search for drivers direct from Nvidia heard that might help and I manged to play movies and all on the laptop only problem is I can't enable visual effects. I think you should be fine with this laptop.
    Last edited by C-raz; March 28th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I made the mistake of installing the "recommended driver" and now I get a black login screen that keeps telling me that my password is wrong. I have a couple of questions:

1. How do you restore the default driver?
    2. Why is the current "recommended driver" giving me this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M and Wireless on Dell XPS15

Hi There,

It seems that there seems to always be a problem when you write the config file into the system. I managed to install the driver in but I still can't change the visual effects because when I went to on to do an nvidia-xconfig as root I will face the black screen checking battery state then it will give me a login prompt.

Meanwhile here is what I did to help me resolve the issue but still I am trying to figure a way out to get a correct way to populate xorg.con

When I see the black screen. I keyed in my username first. Hit enter then keyed in my password.
    Now I will see my directory. I then typed the following
    sudo -i
    this helps me to be root, next I did
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak
    Commands are case sensitive, you probably already knew, this should help you to rename the original xorg.conf and help you login normally again without a config file

I installed the driver following these steps and its activated
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/how-t...5-display.html
    but left the nvidia-xconfig part in the end when I am actually supposed to do as it gives me problems. I can watch movies and all but can't do visual effects. I will update here if I find out I hope anyone that reads this thread does too

Furthermore, to get my wireless working on the dell XPS 15 i7, I updated my kernel to 2.6.38.2-candela
    following these steps first.
    http://www.ramoonus.nl/2010/10/linux...-ubuntu-linux/
    Then downloaded the lumen kernelchecker and did and upgrade hoping to get a working xorg.conf file
    just in case you ran into this issue as well and don't mine upgrading.

I hope this helps, pardon me if I make any mistakes as I only started using Ubuntu for 2 days but I still love it despite no visual effects and this resolution works for me. .
    Last edited by C-raz; March 29th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.

Beans

Damn, I have the same card. Is there any chance it'll work at least to increase the resolution? I'm running 1024x768 but you can see some blur as it's not enough.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

The card should be ok as long as it works alone. But OP is screwed because his laptop (DELL XPS15)is Optimus enabled. With Optimus the Nvidia card becomes a kind of hybrid with a cheap onbroad Intel card so the Linux driver for the Nvidia card no longer works. As for Nvidia, not only does it not support Optimus in Linux, it doesn't give Linux users the option to NOT use it. With Optimius enabled, you simply cannot use the Nvidia card you pay for, period (unless your laptop has a BIOS switch to turn off Optimus and choose the discrete card,--Nviida) But even worse, the unusable Nvidia card would still be sitting there eating your battery so it is worse than an expensive paper weight.

This is serious as more (most) new laptops with Nvidia have Optimus enabled, so Nvidia effectively no longer supports Linux laptops even though the chips are still "compatible" (unless you get something really expensive like a Thinkpad which has the said BIOS switch, or a performance system76 laptop which costs as much as a Mac book pro) Unfortunately Linux still can only count on Nvidia for the most reliable graphic performance (Intel is not meant for performance, ATI on Linux is still like playing roulette, it may or may not work depending on luck) So if this is not resolved it would mean "Linux = crappy graphics on laptops" for a long time to come.

Check out this thread and write to Nvidia. And write to Dell too to request for the BIOS switch.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712278
    Last edited by beew; April 4th, 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Beans

According to the manual, I do have Optimus on as well. I'm not sure I'm getting it; there are two working modes, either using the intel card alone or both at the same time. Is that so?

I'll check the bios, but I don't think I have that option either. Still, turning it off won't just disable the nvidia card? So in both cases the card is unusable.

Anyway, you seem to say that is somehow possible to use only the nvidia card, but there's no driver for it, ain't it?

I'd like to increase the resolution, I can be happy ever after without HD movies =)

Beans

Nope, no option present in the bios. Moreover, it seems there's no support either for XP, only Windows 7. I'm amazed by nvidia.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QuimNuss View Post
    According to the manual, I do have Optimus on as well. I'm not sure I'm getting it; there are two working modes, either using the intel card alone or both at the same time. Is that so?

I'll check the bios, but I don't think I have that option either. Still, turning it off won't just disable the nvidia card? So in both cases the card is unusable.

Anyway, you seem to say that is somehow possible to use only the nvidia card, but there's no driver for it, ain't it?

I'd like to increase the resolution, I can be happy ever after without HD movies =)
    If your machine is not Optimus enabled then the Nvidia card would work with the proprietary driver they provide (or Nouveau for that matter even though performance is crappy)

But in an Optimus enabled machine the driver would no longer work because the chip has become a hybrid essentially. The only way to use the Nvidia card would be through a switch in the BIOS but AFAIK the only optimus enabled laptops that have such a switch are the Thinkpads and perhaps some ASUS laptops (not sure about the latter)

If you are unlucky enough to have bought a laptop with Optimus and cannot return it the best thing you can do out of all horrible options would be to find a way to disable the Nvidia card and use the Intel card only. That way the expensive Nvidia card becomes just a paper weight but it doesn't eat your battery. There are several tutorials on the Ubuntu forum for doing just that, but you have to search for them.

There may also be more info in the thread I linked to above.

Beans

So, it would not work at all and the fact that I get a crappy resolution with no dual-head or anything means that the nvidia is actually disabled, but the intel usable. Is that right?

Does somebody know any way to use the nvidia instead of the intel integrated card? (dreaming of a solution...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast