Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Beans

Re: ThinkPad X120e/AMD fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by icouldmakeyousmile View Post
    But I would like to know to create a bootable USB BIOS upgrade from Ubuntu.
    Easy way:

1. get a usb flash drive drive w/ u3 support (manufactured before 2009)
    2. apt-get install u3-tools
    3. u3-tools -l <iso-image> <device>
    4. reboot and select emulated cd rom

Other way (haven't done this).
    Would also be a bit tricky.

1. extract files from update image
    2. find out how to create a uefi bootable pc dos environment
    3. kick-off extracted files

Some of the newer seagate and westerdigital usb hd drives also emulate a cd rom. If anyone knows how to load you own iso let me know.
    link--> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/passport-vcd.html
    Last edited by linuxhobox; April 9th, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I added more information to the help.ubuntu wiki. I put up realtek wireless compilation/installation instructions for Maverick, put up installation instructions for Maverick, added relevant video information, and added a few external links.

Thanks to CPCollin for creating the Wiki page in the first place.

Here's the link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/X120e

Critique welcome.
    Last edited by link141; April 9th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

linuxhobo I tried to do the extraction and uefi PC dos like environment to do the update via USB and I haven't found anything that can do it. I don't know of any versions of dos that let alone support uefi and none that could boot the files. Plus, the files don't exactly extract easily. I did not try to do a U3 style boot, seeing as I have to have windows installed too. BTW, anyone know a good way to install ubuntu and still use the windows bootloader? I have tried using EasyBCD in the past but it never worked. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate the info!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfmutz View Post
    linuxhobo I tried to do the extraction and uefi PC dos like environment to do the update via USB and I haven't found anything that can do it. I don't know of any versions of dos that let alone support uefi and none that could boot the files. Plus, the files don't exactly extract easily. I did not try to do a U3 style boot, seeing as I have to have windows installed too. !
    I ran the iso image from an old cruzer using the u3 emulated cdrom.
    It seemed to use some version of PCDos to do the install.
    Maybe, try running the installer on virtualbox and clone the environment to a virtual disk and then clone that to a usb drive?

Must be an easier way. Just thinking....

Beans

What are people using for thinkfan settings / configuration? Let's try to find the best balance of fan and cooling for this machine!

Also, the internal mic still does not work for me on 11.04, though I expected it to work out of the box with more recent ALSA and Pulseaudio. Anyone have it working on 11.04?

Please contribute to documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/X120e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CPCollin View Post
    What are people using for thinkfan settings / configuration? Let's try to find the best balance of fan and cooling for this machine!

Also, the internal mic still does not work for me on 11.04, though I expected it to work out of the box with more recent ALSA and Pulseaudio. Anyone have it working on 11.04?

Please contribute to documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/X120e
    The mic works fine for me OOTB, running 11.04. I do have LXDE installed alongside Gnome, so it is possible some other driver came along with it, but I doubt it. Skype is working fine, both audio and video.
    Larry

Beans

The mic works fine for me OOTB
    Still does not work for me with 11.04, I have made sure the mic is not muted, boosted levels, and reinstalled pulseaudio but the internal mic still shows no levels in sound preferences or sound recorder.
    Last edited by CPCollin; April 13th, 2011 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Does your mic work in Windows (assuming you still have it installed)? If so, when did you install Natty, and what version of alsa are you using?

I know you said it's unmuted, but I'd double check that it's really unmuted by opening alsamixer in a terminal with "alsamixer -c 1" (the analog sound hardware is seen as a second card). Hit tab once and take a look at the capture levels.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CPCollin View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/X120e
    Just out of curiosity, what temperature is your CPU averaging on Natty? Mine stays around 60C with normal use, which seems a bit hot (but no where near the max of 90C). I think I'll log the temperature over time on both windows and Linux and compare the two...

Just a warning: I saw many people online saying NOT to lower the fan usage as the processor really does need that level of cooling. If anything, I'd see if I could make it run more to keep it cooler.

Beans

It works in windows. I installed Natty around the 23rd of March, and have kept up with updates. Checked alsamixer and nothing is muted, capture/ mic levels are at 100%.

The microphone worked for me in Ubuntu just before posting this message, but sound output did not. The mic did not work after rebooting, but the output sound does. Definitely strange.

My temps hover around 54C while doing minor work.

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast