Thread: Apache permissions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Apache permissions

When i upload files to my www directory using a user i created myself the files do not show up (the apache logs show permission denied). I managed to fix it by using chmod -R 775 but i'm having to type that each time i add new files.

How can i allow people to access the files without having to type this chmod command each time?

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Apache permissions

775 is good, but all the files are supposed to be owned by the Apache user, www-data. This is why you have to add additional permissions.

For example, your username is myuser, now, myuser makes some files in /var/www, and these files have user and group read/write for example, but no world read/write. Apache can't access it because the files are owned by myuser, so you fixed the problem by making it word readable. Created files will always be apache readable/writable if they're owned by www-data. This was a really quick explanation just slopped together, I may not be exact exact on some super super fine details, but the whole idea still gets through excellently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I understand, i think. So could i possibly add myuser to www-data group? Would that be possible, would that fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not really. When a user creates a file it is owned by their UID and primary GID, just putting your account if the www-data group will not cause your account to create files as the www-data group unless you make it your primary group.

To fix it you could create a script or alias that runs the command:
    Code:
    sudo find /var/www/ -user `whoami` -exec chown www-data:www-data "{}" \;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could i login to www-data and upload the files that way? I'm just looking for a quick and simple fix. I just want to be able to upload the files over ftp and that would be all.

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

If you're using ProFTPD, you could use mod_exec to execute a command after files are uploaded, to change them to www-data.

If you want to know what I do. Is this.

I have a user, which my files in /home/user/public_html. When I create files and whatnot there, they're owned by user:user of course, with read/write user, and read group (default permissions basically). Now, Apache can access my files perfectly fine. You may be wondering how in the world did I do that since they're not world readable!

The solution is fairly simple. You see, since I have group readable, Apache could access my files if it has access to my group.. Or...
    Code:
    sudo adduser www-data myusergroupname
    More information about my FTP solution here.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...-added-via-ftp

Quote Originally Posted by ash369 View Post
    Could i login to www-data and upload the files that way? I'm just looking for a quick and simple fix. I just want to be able to upload the files over ftp and that would be all.
    Not really no.