Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: After recent update, red youtube videos?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: After recent update, red youtube videos?

In Firefox there is a fun little plugin (add-ons) called FlashVideoReplacer
    which forces Youtube videos to play in a proper media player. VLC, Kplayer, KMPlayer, Smplayer Kaffeine, Xine, Mplayer, Totem Dragonplayer or whatever. all work, but " FlashVideoReplacer " seems a little flaky on my system so far. i even uninstalled Flash to test, and Youtube was sweet.i prefer it to Flash now.
    -- insert pointless & boring PC specs here as a sig --

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This is why I love Ubuntu and the forums here; so many good heads looking at solutions.

I have a related problem and am using Flash 10.2.152.27. In Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit, I can view full screen fine in YouTube but when I select another YouTube video in small screen with the videos on the right, I get a message that says, 'Adobe Flash Player has crashed please reload' and all works fine after I reload. I can't select the settings at all via right mouse click in YouTube but if I go to iView website, I can select to 'uncheck hardware acceleration' option but then YouTube wont leave fullscreen and I have to do a Alt-F12 then ctrl-alt-del to restart.

This problem is only occuring in Forefox 3.6.14 for me since the last Flash update and it doesn't seem to be occuring in Chromium in standard or fullscreen. I got my flash via installing 'Ubuntu Restricted Extras' and it has been working perfectly until the last update.

I've just found that Adobe Settings page and will look at that and fiddle around with a few things. I also make clonezilla images of my setup so I can easily restore an earlier version of 10.10 or just downgrade Flash and lock it.

Just trying to delete all Flash cookies via their online settings manager and deleted my own cache, cookies etc in Firefox and Chromium but the Flash Player in Firefox still crashed but works fine on reload in small and fullscreen. Chromium seems to work perfectly for me.

System: Core i3 540 with Gigabyte H55-USB3 motherboard and on-chip HD graphics.
    Last edited by Orographic; March 8th, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Georgiev View Post
    Thanks about the Disable Hardware Acceleration thing, it worked, but I think it just treats the symptom.
    Correct. However, Canonical has confirmed this as a "High" rated bug, and Canonical has passed the bug to Adobe (who is responsible for it).
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

THANKS!

I am so glad I decided to come check the forum to see if anyone else had this problem!

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove adobe-flashplugin
    Then install the version you can download from here:
    http://gt.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu1_i386.deb

Thanks everybody who posted & reposted these links!

PS that pop-out idea on YouTube was spiffy too.
    ASRock 880GM-LE (micro ATX - Socket AM3 - AMD 880G - Socket AM3); AMD Athlon II X2 245e; 2Gb DDR3-1333 "Patriot" RAM; Scithe "Core Power 4" 600W, ATX 12V. (new as of July17)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead Kaze View Post
    PS that pop-out idea on YouTube was spiffy too.
    The easiest method is to disable hardware acceleration, although several people have used Firefox's flashvideoreplacer plugin.

Beans

I was starting to think I was being punished for watching too much YouYube, then I switched to Flash 10.1 and now it's all dandy (HELLZ yeah!).
    Last edited by Dr Heelhook; March 8th, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Beans

You can also try with the 10.3 beta version of adobe flash player: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10-3.html
    I've installed and it seems to work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    The easiest method is to disable hardware acceleration, although several people have used Firefox's flashvideoreplacer plugin.
    Doing that makes my system crash. I'm using a core i3 540 with on-chip graphics and the H-55 Gigabyte motherboard.

I've had a look in Natty Alpha 3 (11.04) and it still crashed Flash in YouTube but its easily recoverable on my system via a reload. I might just wait for an update to the newer Flash when it comes out.

Html5 runs quite well on my system also, both in Natty and 10.10.

Edit: I've just tried about fifty YouTube videos on Chromium and not one of them crashed Flash, so that is interesting.
    Last edited by Orographic; March 9th, 2011 at 06:46 AM.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans

I think I have found another workaround. It's for Chrome but there definitely should be similar extension for FireFox.

1. Install Edit This Cookie extension
    When installed, a new icon appears near the Settings icon

2. Go to YouTube, open any video. Press F5 several times (to be sure cookies are loaded)

3. Click Edit This Cookie icon. Locate PREF cookie. It contains something like "f1=50000000&fv=10.2.154"

4. Change it's value to "ee" (doesn't really matter, but I used "ee").
    Click Submit Cookie Changes.

5. Locate PREF cookie again. Click "Set as readonly"

That's it, if you load any Youtube video it should work. At least it works for me

You can verify your changes by going to "Edit This Cookie" -> Preferences. If you did everything right, you should see:
    Code:
      Domain: .youtube.com      Name: PREF      Value: ee
    You can undo your changes by going to "Edit This Cookie" icon -> Preferences and deleting all cookies listed here.
    Last edited by relgames; March 9th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast