Thread: Change User Settings from Root

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Change User Settings from Root

Sure, you might click on this topic thinking "Why not just change it from the user account?" however its not possible.

I changed it so I can login without putting in a password for a few reasons.
    However when I restarted and tried to log in, it told me a bunch of errors, couldn't find /home etc sort of thing.
    I think its because I encrypted home folder... or some sort of thing like that but now since it doesn't log in with a password it doesn't let me use my ubuntu stuff so..

I went into Root account "sudo stop gdm/sudo startx (I think)" but it won't let me view let alone change the user settings.

Any solutions? Couldn't find any previous posts for the same thing.
    Pretty urgently need to get into my account, work related stuff.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change User Settings from Root

Hi

Decrypt your /home folder from a LiveCD. You should then be able to change your settings store in that directory. I assume that is the problem you are having.

Here is a tutorial.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1597246

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

Decrypt your /home folder from a LiveCD. You should then be able to change your settings store in that directory. I assume that is the problem you are having.

Here is a tutorial.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1597246

Kind regards
    LiveCD would take a good few hours to download before I could try, I have a couple but not with me
    Any other solutions that would be easier? I'll start the download but monitor this thread.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zintha View Post
    LiveCD would take a good few hours to download before I could try, I have a couple but not with me
    Any other solutions that would be easier? I'll start the download but monitor this thread.
    Mount your home folder from the CLI, then start an X session (startx or sudo start gdm).
    See: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10208094