Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you install a tar.gz file?

Beans

How do you install a tar.gz file?

Hello, I was wondering how you open a .tar.gz file? I downloaded it, but do knot know wether or not to extract it, open, or what. Even after I do that it does not do anything. Please Help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How do you install a tar.gz file?

Right click on the file. Select "extract here" in the drop down menu. Go to the extracted directory. Find a README file or INSTALL file. These files explains how to install (compile) the application.
    You will have to compile the program. Sure you want to do that ? Is installing of precompiled packages through synaptic not an option ?
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cotcot View Post
    Sure you want to do that ? Is installing of precompiled packages through synaptic not an option ?
    Off topic:
    Just curious... why is everyone here so against compiling source? Back when I was on various other forums compiling was the way to go and now its Synaptic or no go. Weird.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by TechWiz2100 View Post
    Off topic:
    Just curious... why is everyone here so against compiling source?
    People are not necessarily against compiling from source, but this is the beginners' section. A lot of beginners do not know about Linux package managers and make the mistake of hunting for software on the internet, and finding tar.gz files without knowing that these (probably) contain source code and need compiling.

It is a kindness to newcomers to point them to the Ubuntu Software Centre or Synaptic. Believe me, I have seen many threads where the OP is amazed when they finally discover just how easy it is to install applications in Ubuntu using the package managers.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    People are not necessarily against compiling from source, but this is the beginners' section. A lot of beginners do not know about Linux package managers and make the mistake of hunting for software on the internet, and finding tar.gz files without knowing that these (probably) contain source code and need compiling.

It is a kindness to newcomers to point them to the Ubuntu Software Centre or Synaptic. Believe me, I have seen many threads where the OP is amazed when they finally discover just how easy it is to install applications in Ubuntu using the package managers.
    Ah yes that would make a lot of sense. I personally prefer compiling source and leave Synaptic to packages that update often, because I've been doing it that way since I started using Linux a few years back -shrugs-

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I say that compiling from source is usually better, because it gives a better learning experience then with other methods.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alegomaster View Post
    I say that compiling from source is usually better, because it gives a better learning experience then with other methods.
    With learning comes work and occasional frustration. Nothing major for those using linux as a hobby or for educational purposes but no good for those who are short on time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by TechWiz2100 View Post
    With learning comes work and occasional frustration. Nothing major for those using linux as a hobby or for educational purposes but no good for those who are short on time
    Lol I am actually running out of time to fix a program that involves serial communication. No time to learn a new way.

Beans

Well, it was for the full version of Open Office that lets you import documents into pdf files. I have been trying to get this done all day.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cotcot View Post
    Right click on the file. Select "extract here" in the drop down menu. Go to the extracted directory. Find a README file or INSTALL file. These files explains how to install (compile) the application.
    You will have to compile the program. Sure you want to do that ? Is installing of precompiled packages through synaptic not an option ?
    No, it was for the .tar.gz for the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast