Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

After reading the article, I was left with the feeling that the author hates the fact that he actually likes Apple products.

Of course lots of techie types (myself included) like to do things their own way, which runs afoul of Apple's "we know how we want it done and you must do it that way too" mentality. That being said, there is an elegance to Apple's products and UI that works well for me. I must be one of the lucky ones who has never had an issue with iTunes. I have moved my library from PC to PC to PC to PC to MacBook Pro with no issues. OS X has not limited my productivity in an way. But like any other device or product, it's not perfect. I still prefer Ubuntu because of the ability to get down into the system and tweak just about every little detail.

Using a Mac is a choice, and if that choice means giving up a bit of freedom, and giving up that bit is against what you believe in, then by all means make a different choice. The author sounds like he wants it both ways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    After reading the article, I was left with the feeling that the author hates the fact that he actually likes Apple products.
    Its more than that, he hates he has bought into the Apple ideal and then been disappointed by the so called 'perfect' products, coupled with that he has a separate hatred for the Apple fanboys with the cult surrounding the corporation.

I would love Charlie Brooker to try out Linux and report on his experience, although I suspect the result would cause Linux fanboy fraternity to break a few blood vessels

Quote Originally Posted by divergex View Post
    Using a Mac is a choice, and if that choice means giving up a bit of freedom, and giving up that bit is against what you believe in, then by all means make a different choice. The author sounds like he wants it both ways.
    True we have choice in our lives. Windows, Mac, stapling your extremities to an ornate walnut desk are all choices... however I would not recommend them, especially the last 2

Yep he does want everything his way, don't we all? I'd love the usefulness and freedom of Ubuntu with the software and hardware support of Windows all encapsulated in a well designed Mac style box but that's not going to happen.

Beans
    Hidden!

My favorite part: "Apple continually attempts to scrape even more money from anything that might conceivably pass through iTunes' tight, leathery anus."

I like my ipod touch, but that's as far as I go. And if I could not use it in ubuntu via gtkpod, it would go bye bye very quickly. And don't get me started on iTunes. I've never seen a more convoluted, aggravating application in all my life.
    Last edited by johntaylor1887; March 2nd, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Beans

I hate apple products but they are good. I dont know, i simple dont. The OS is nothing great, infact I can do more on Linux and Windows. Sure can do the same stuff mac but its not fun, its fun in Linux and Windows. But the user experience is good.

I guess apple's approach is different from what other computer/electronic manufacturers have. They keep it SIMPLE, provide RICH USER EXPERIENCE (even if less/restrictive) and make their products look really BEAUTIFUL.

Is that computing? well may be for some and not for the others. I hate apple products but they are good. Would i make an iDevice a part of my daily life. NO
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L | Processor: E7400 | Video Card: NVidia 8600GT | Monitor: BenQ G2410HD | OS: Ubuntu, XP, Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Windows Vista (yes, i have all installed in one system)

Beans

From the Code of Conduct....

"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them"

As this has moved from the writer and his article to discussing Apple and "Fanboys" etc I am going to close this thread.
    This account is not active.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456