Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South West
    Beans
    8
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Oh no, I think Macs are Bilge - If I was given a Mac, I'd sell it. That's my opinion, based on what I want to do, how I'm used to doing things, and an inevitable bit of Human bias.
    I don't like Macs either as I have had to use them professionally before and they were trouble, but I can see why people like them especially now you have a raft of other products that fall into the Apple family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    He went from this, to buying an iphone, ipad and Mac? What the hell was he basing his opinion on, adverts and the people that like them?
    Well you kind of answered my point, he is basing his opinion on being sucked into using the products and then feeding back his problems with said products. He is coming from the point of a disgruntled user.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Still, the article obviously prompted discussions such as this, and a link back to his blog, so I suppose it's served its purpose.
    Isn't that the modus operandi of a journalist?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    100
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Define good article. The guy whines about Macs the whole time and then states that he doesn't hate them, in fact he uses them. So...he's still a sheeple. He just wants to pretend like he's not.

    That was pure rubbish. His language was pretty vile and there were no redeeming qualities for the article. Didn't learn anything.
    Last edited by Ctrl-Alt-F1; February 28th, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Ernie View Post
    Well you kind of answered my point, he is basing his opinion on being sucked into using the products and then feeding back his problems with said products. He is coming from the point of a disgruntled user.
    I'd like to think that if I had such vehement hatred for something, I'd have a good enough reason not to then go and buy it (three times over).

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Ernie View Post
    Isn't that the modus operandi of a journalist?
    Touché, I just prefer Journalism to be more impartial news, and less opinion.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    55

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    That article just makes the author seem capricious and whimsical; a man who has no solid reasoning behind his bias, and is actively looking for something to complain about.
    Well duh He's writing to get a reaction. That's how he sells copy and maintains his job. Who the hell would read a columnist that illicts no reaction?

    I love Charlie Brookers rants.

    ouché, I just prefer Journalism to be more impartial news, and less opinion
    No such thing. All journalism is subjective.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Beans
    939

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    No one uses terms like "sync" in real life. Not even C3PO. If I sync my DVD collection with yours, will I end up with one, two, or no copies of Santa Claus the Movie? It's like trying to work out the consequences of time travel, but less fun, and with absolutely no chance of being adapted into a successful screenplay.
    LOL, this is so true. Well put. Drag'n'drop FTW.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South West
    Beans
    8
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by Ctrl-Alt-F1 View Post
    Define good article. The guy whines about Macs the whole time and then states that he doesn't hate them, in fact he uses them. So...he's still a sheeple. He just wants to pretend like he's not.

    That was pure rubbish. His language was pretty vile and there were no redeeming qualities for the article. Didn't learn anything.
    A good article entertains, challenges your view and causes discussion.
    You can not like something and still use them, it isn't a crime! I had to use a Mac for my job, didn't like it but tough!

    Vile language? Oh come on, it is very mild swears compared to my everyday conversations, because somebody uses a curse doesn't mean lack of intelligence or that the point is invalid.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    His whole syncing rant is hilarious. Especially in the light of him saying that Mac users should "learn how proper computers work" (implying he is a "proper computer user that knows how to work with them). All the while missing a pretty visible option when you plug an iDevice in iTunes called "Manually manage music and videos"[1]. It's freakin hilarious


    [1]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202
    Even with enabling that option on the iPhone, you can still only add music from one computer. It's very annoying. Probably the only thing I really don't like about the iPhone.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South West
    Beans
    8
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Even with enabling that option on the iPhone, you can still only add music from one computer. It's very annoying. Probably the only thing I really don't like about the iPhone.
    I have nearly been tempted by both i-pod and i-phone even with my dislike of Apple (thats how I can understand Charlie Brooker getting Apple products) but both times the clincher to me not getting either is the uselessness of i-tunes.

    Also I notice that most of my friends that own i-phones have them jailbroken, thus invalidating the warranty and opening the door to future problems.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    An "I.Journalist" or that film that floats on the surface of rural ponds publicly announces he has no clue how to use a Mac or iPhone properly and people sing his praises.... amazing.

    If the same was written about a feature in Ubuntu within 2 hours the thread would be 8 pages long of posts calling for the Trolls head on a stake.

    Ooooops hang on just realized I am logged into UF
    This account is not active.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: A good article by Charlie Brooker on Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    An "I.Journalist" or that film that floats on the surface of rural ponds publicly announces he has no clue how to use a Mac or iPhone properly and people sing his praises.... amazing.

    If the same was written about a feature in Ubuntu within 2 hours the thread would be 8 pages long of posts calling for the Trolls head on a stake.

    Ooooops hang on just realized I am logged into UF
    Ha, very true indeed.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •