Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux made zip file not unzipping on Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux made zip file not unzipping on Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    does some small zip file with dummy data for testing purposes get through successfully
    I did this with a 700KB zipped bmp image. It worked successfully with WinZip and 7Zip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    can you ask that other person to run livecd/usb to see if he/she manages to open zip in live session
    I'll have to resend the file tonight because she needed the space. But I'll have her do that and see if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmargo View Post
    Perhaps it is due to the very large file size? My test was small. Is the destination machine 32-bit only?
    Mine is Ubuntu64 and hers is Windows7 32. It could be the filesize, but I don't see why filesize would come into play. Zip is the most generic archive format for sending files.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I rezipped file with the exact same procedure I did previously, resent it, and it extracted successfully. No idea why it didn't work last time. Maybe it was one of those rare instances where the checksums matched even though it wasn't a 1:1 copy.

When she tried to extract the original file, I remember one of the error messaged mentioned "pointers" being incorrect, or something along those lines.
    Last edited by NMFTM; March 5th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't think this is quite fixed yet.

I have sent a couple of different zip files with passwords in the last month to users on WinXP. Both of them had a problem where the Explorer extraction wizard errored out with "File skipped unknown compression method"

I found that this could be avoided by having the receiver use 7zip, but that's not always an option.

Is there a way to create a WinXP friendly zip file in Ubuntu?
    Last edited by vancouverite; June 30th, 2011 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

Fwiw, I recently had an issue where a password-protected zip file created via the right-click -> 'Compress' option in Ubuntu would not open on a customer's Windows (unknown version) system ("Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created.").

I then created a password-protected zip file using the command line:
    Code:
    $ zip -e ./file.pdf.zip ./file.pdf
    This seems to open Ok on their Windows system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12