Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

I've created this thread so that people can post their experiences of ubuntu on their (brand new) macpro.

Here's mine:

Macbook Early 2011. 13 inch. Base Model. No external graphics card (just the one that comes with sandy bridge).

- Wireless not working. No suggested proprietary driver. Even downloading the wl driver directly from broadcom does not work. The network card is Broadcom 4331 which is brandnew and doesn't seem to be supported by any driver.

- Intel Sandy Bridge graphics not working.

- New webcam HD facetime webcam or whatever isight is called now, works out of the box.

Didn't try anything else yet. What's your experience?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

I have the 15 inch 2.3 Ghz Macbook pro. It is a nice machine, but when installing ubuntu I am experiencing similar problems with wireless. I have the AMD graphics and it did recognize the amd graphics processor.

Mine also says it is the 8,2 model number, not 8,1.
    Last edited by gforster; February 27th, 2011 at 01:33 AM.

Beans

The sandy bridge graphics are supposed to be supported in 2.6.38 so I'm not worrying too much about that. The wireless on the other hand... broadcom has an history with linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After playing with it a little more I need to amend what I wrote earlier.

The AMD graphics don't completely work. Desktop effects and 3D is working, but there is a little box in the bottom-right corner telling me that it is AMD unsupported hardware. It looks as if the driver has not been released for linux yet.

The broadcom wireless/card reader chip is the broadcom "NetXtreme 57765." Apparently this is supposed to be in the kernel, but something is missing.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethe...rivers.php#tg3

Multitouch is not working on the trackpad, I'm reading lots of information, but none of it seems to apply to this machine.

I can live with the weird AMD message concerning my unsupported hardware (for now) but wireless is pretty important.

I haven't tested the card reader or the thunderbolt port yet either.

Beans

The NetXtreme 57765 is the wired network card. It was supported out of the box in ubuntu with the tg3 module. For the wireless I think the most likely solution is the brcm80211. I'm not sure if the device is supported but at least there are some defines in the source code to deal with the Broadcom 4331.

Maybe a good option would be try and upgrade to natty and see what happens. I'll try that next time i'm close to a wired network.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ruiferreira View Post
    Maybe a good option would be try and upgrade to natty and see what happens. I'll try that next time i'm close to a wired network.
    I will do this when I finish copying all of my files over from my old laptop (another 7 hours to go - I wish that thunderbolt port would do me some good right now)

Beans

Natty is no help, still no wifi. Does the Fn key work for you guys?
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans

In natty I got the graphics working fine (intel hd 3000). Also no wireless, touchpad, fn, etc - I didn't make a big effort to get them working anyway, with no wireless no dice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Natty is no help, still no wifi. Does the Fn key work for you guys?
    Have you tried the brcm80211 driver for wireless?

I plan to buy a new Macbook Pro myself, but without wifi it's pretty useless.

Beans

I tried the brcm80211 that comes with 2.6.38-5 with no luck. I didn't try anything from staging of staging-next.

-Rui

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast