Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

In Ubuntu 12.04 with a 3.2 kernel, you don't need ndiswrapper for the wifi card.
    Use the b43 drivers instead.

run jockey-gtk to find and install drivers needed.

Beans

Hi all,

Recently, the team of developers working on improvements to the i915 linux kernel drivers that are needed for many recent Macbook Pro models have been adding several enhancements to the drivers that benefit Macbook Pro users. The most notable one is that in their most recent git kernel tree, the number of LVDS channels is automatically set properly for the Macbook Pro, eliminating the need to apply a patch and pass the i915.lvds_channels=2 option as many on this thread (including myself) have done. Another change is the option to disable the intel_backlight controls, allowing the gmux_backlight control to take over which (for me at least) is the only working backlight control for a Macbook Pro.

However recently they inadvertently introduced a regression that is also causing a similar black screen. I reported a bug and the developers are taking a look but I suspect they do not have access to any Macbooks to test with. If any readers of this post who have a modern (say, 6,x or above) Macbook pro running linux in EFI mode, and are comfortable building their own kernel from git could help out with the bug I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated and would help get these improvements into the mainline kernel faster.

Here's what you can do:

1. Read the bug report at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49518
    2. Get the development git sources from git://people.freedesktop.org/~danvet/drm-intel
    3. Confirm that commit e646d57 from the git sources introduce a black screen
    4. Post to the bug report the result of any patches by kernel developers. include all the information a kernel developer would need to diagnose the issue: the system name of your Macbook (eg MacbookPro8,1), the full dmesg output with drm.debug=0xe added to your kernel parameters, and the output of the intel_reg_dumper command that is part of the intel-gpu-tools package located at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools/ (version 1.1 works for me).
    5. Otherwise help out however you can

Thanks and happy hacking!

Beans

Cool Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by luckylud View Post
    In Ubuntu 12.04 with a 3.2 kernel, you don't need ndiswrapper for the wifi card.
    Use the b43 drivers instead.

run jockey-gtk to find and install drivers needed.
    I kind of botched the wifi by trying to use the cutting-edge drivers... (China is blocking the repo that holds the official drivers), but I have never tried jockey-gtk... I will next time I get to a wired internet cable (there is no wired internet in my home, so I'm using another computer)

BTW- The wifi- dropdown used to say "device not ready, Firmware missing" but now it says nothing after I tried the cutting-edge...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spectre256 View Post
    Hi all,

Recently, the team of developers working on improvements to the i915 linux kernel drivers that are needed for many recent Macbook Pro models have been adding several enhancements to the drivers that benefit Macbook Pro users. The most notable one is that in their most recent git kernel tree, the number of LVDS channels is automatically set properly for the Macbook Pro, eliminating the need to apply a patch and pass the i915.lvds_channels=2 option as many on this thread (including myself) have done. Another change is the option to disable the intel_backlight controls, allowing the gmux_backlight control to take over which (for me at least) is the only working backlight control for a Macbook Pro.

However recently they inadvertently introduced a regression that is also causing a similar black screen. I reported a bug and the developers are taking a look but I suspect they do not have access to any Macbooks to test with. If any readers of this post who have a modern (say, 6,x or above) Macbook pro running linux in EFI mode, and are comfortable building their own kernel from git could help out with the bug I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated and would help get these improvements into the mainline kernel faster.
    Looks like it's just been fixed. Any idea when these changes will be pushed into mainline? That's very promising! Thanks for keeping us tuned!

Beans

On the graphic switching front, there's some new developments too, and testers/hackers needed for the MBP8,* models.

See http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspo...hybrid_21.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,

I have been trying to get the radeon up and running on my EFI-boot MBP8,2 for several weeks but never succeeded, either because of lockup on startup (when radeon is compiled into the kernel) or because vbios.bin cannot be loaded (when radeon is a module). I am running with the usual set of patches (load firmware, lvds channel & gmux), against the ubuntu-stock 3.4 kernel tree.

I am not really interested in dynamic switching (yet), but I just want to be able to get an external display working, and as you know only the radeon is wired to the external display.

I see some people managed, either by disabling at the PCI level the integrated card, or by succesfully getting the gmux to integrate with vga_switcheroo. Could you post the patches you used, your kernel config, the grub commands passed to gmux or the pci bus, and the options passed to the kernel?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

In order to EFI boot with the radeon card I had to do two things.

1. Add 'modprobe.blacklist=radeon' to grub.cfg
    2. Add 'radeon' to /etc/modules

This is because the radeon kernel module will request_firmware before the user space is ready to load it. Thus the failure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bjaglin View Post
    Hi all,

I have been trying to get the radeon up and running on my EFI-boot MBP8,2 for several weeks but never succeeded, either because of lockup on startup (when radeon is compiled into the kernel) or because vbios.bin cannot be loaded (when radeon is a module).
    Hi bjaglin,

I m using the radeon drm module and it's work great with an external display : linux 3.4 efi boot.

i915 and radeon are compil as kernel module :
    CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
    CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
    CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
    CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y

I've no more gmux patch, only lvds_dual_chanel, radeon load bios, and an intel enable/disable backlight : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/954661

!!!!!!! Important !!!!!!!!!!!
    copy vbios.bin in /lib/firmware/radeon/

My grub-efi entry for a radeon boot is like this :

menuentry ....
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxx
    setpci -s 00:00.0 50.W=2
    setpci -s 00:00.0 54.B=d
    echo 'Loading kernel...'
    linux /vmlinuz-3.4.0 root=UUID=xxxxxxx ro splash radeon.modeset=1 vt.handoff=7
    initrd /initrd.img-3.4.0
    }

Many thanks to wilfriedd for the set pci tips

Beans

Hey FooBlahBlah!

What about updating that Archlinux kernel at

https://github.com/fooblahblah/linux-mainline-efi-lvds

with apple patches to 3.4 ?

Will really appreciate it.

Beans

Just saw this. Yeah, I'll try and remember to give it a go tonight.

Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast