Page 45 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

I have booted 11.04 livecd perfectly fine. Make sure you burn the cd at low speed. And if that does not work, instead of installing 10.04.2, just download the 11.04 advanced cd and install, you will save a lot of time, as upgrades take quite a while.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfindan View Post
    Hello,

When trying to install ubuntu on my macbook pro 8,1 i get this message:

"unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    There is thread about CD/DVD drive not working with MBP8,2. It sounds like some 8,1s have the same issue.

Look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730355 and there was bug open about not working CD/DVD drive in MBP8,2 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/782389

If you can not install from LiveCD alone, it is more likely that your drive will not work after LiveCD + USB install. I tried LiveCD + USB install and this method worked for me, but after install I do not have CD/DVD drive working.
    Last edited by borist; May 19th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by borist View Post
    There is thread about CD/DVD drive not working with MBP8,2. It sounds like some 8,1s have the same issue.

Look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1730355 and there was bug open about not working CD/DVD drive in MBP8,2 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/782389

If you can not install from LiveCD alone, it is more likely that your drive will not work after LiveCD + USB install. I tried LiveCD + USB install and this method worked for me, but after install I do not have CD/DVD drive working.
    If anyone unable to use their DVD drive would like to get it working you can use the AHCI kernel patch posted by Sloth on page 23. I guess the drive only has a problem in IDE mode. I didn't worry about the backlight patch as I used the ubuntu kernel source and now my drive is working with the quirks.mbp_force_ahci=1 kernel option. The line numbers don't quite match the ubuntu kernel source but the changes are easy to make manually.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=230

Also for anyone using the open-source radeon driver, it seems to me that the proprietary fglrx has much better power management. Make sure you turn off vsync in compiz if you use it, however, as that kills the performance for some reason.

Beans

Talking Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Hello,

When trying to install ubuntu on my macbook pro 8,1 i get this message:

"unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I having the same problem last time but now I can install easily any Ubuntu on my Mac.
    I have lost more than 5 CD and DVD also 2 USB stick to get into it.

You know what? you just need two things, USB stick and CD/DVD. Download ISO installation you want, then burn into CD/DVD also into your USB Stick ( Use your mac to doing all this things, Not windows not Linux. I am trying on Windows and Linux both doesnt work). Boot via CD/DVD.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by trimbil View Post
    I having the same problem last time but now I can install easily any Ubuntu on my Mac.
    I have lost more than 5 CD and DVD also 2 USB stick to get into it.

You know what? you just need two things, USB stick and CD/DVD. Download ISO installation you want, then burn into CD/DVD also into your USB Stick ( Use your mac to doing all this things, Not windows not Linux. I am trying on Windows and Linux both doesnt work). Boot via CD/DVD.
    So what do I do with the USB then?

Also does the WIFI work or not? I am getting mixed signals.........

I wish apple would provide Linux drivers in Bootcamp like they do for windows....... oh well that would be too easy for us then right

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by neutronium View Post
    If anyone unable to use their DVD drive would like to get it working you can use the AHCI kernel patch posted by Sloth on page 23. I guess the drive only has a problem in IDE mode. I didn't worry about the backlight patch as I used the ubuntu kernel source and now my drive is working with the quirks.mbp_force_ahci=1 kernel option. The line numbers don't quite match the ubuntu kernel source but the changes are easy to make manually.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=230

Also for anyone using the open-source radeon driver, it seems to me that the proprietary fglrx has much better power management. Make sure you turn off vsync in compiz if you use it, however, as that kills the performance for some reason.
    How exactly do you go about installing this kernel patch? Is there a distro with it already included?

Beans

So what do I do with the USB then?

Also does the WIFI work or not? I am getting mixed signals.........

I wish apple would provide Linux drivers in Bootcamp like they do for windows....... oh well that would be too easy for us then right

Cheers
    I don't have the internal wifi working. I'm using a USB Wireless N adaptor.

That would be too easy... (and would probably make Steve mad...)

In other news, I'm no closer to getting a working system, but I keep coming back to it, so there must be a reason why...

Also, since I've not figured it out yet, does anyone know what package is actually responsible for keyboard backlighting? It gets installed under Ubuntu, but not the other flavors (e.g. Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I've never tried Kubuntu...) It's not pommed, as installing that on the MBP has no effect...

J

Beans

I'am searching solution to make wifi broadcom 4331 work under ubutn 8,1 too.

Beans

It's amazing to me how unstable the new Macbook release
    always is, especially related to WiFi. You would think that
    with a small set of hardware configurations it would be
    easier to build a stable working Linux distro for those, but
    somehow it just isn't, it's still way better on the myriad
    different cheaper Intel laptops, go figure. I've never paid
    dollars for Ubuntu, so I can't really complain (I have paid a
    fair share in development time producing OSS code), but I'd
    be perfectly happy to pay something every 6 months for a
    working Ubuntu distro that supports recent Apple hardware
    well.

Now, about wireless, this thread is really confusing.
    Does anyone reading this have a WORKING wireless driver on a
    MacbookPro8,[123], and if so, which method did you use?

(We hear the failure stories, but not necessarily the success
    ones. If you have it working, can you post a quick report?
    That would be useful to the suckers like me still chickening
    out on the purchasing decision. Thanks!)

Beans

Would any of you be interested in making bounty for implementation of a stable wireless driver for the wireless device in Macbook 8,1 (BCM 4331)? Do any of you know of a good site that manages bounties like this? I know I would put some money down for this driver.

Page 45 of 89 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast