Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Great! That's what I'm after too

I'm also on a Macbook Pro 8,3 and faithfully tried to follow your writeup, applied the patches to 2.6.39-rc4 (but not the efi phy patch), and managed to boot with noefi.

However, resuming is failing on me, and nor is the keyboard backlight working.

Actually, I think the suspend itself isn't properly working. After initiating a suspend, syslog doesn't show anything like suspend is properly done or completed. I do get a segfault reported on gnome-screensav:

After that, Networkmanager is requested to sleep and the filesystems are remounted, but nothing much more is logged, not even after trying to resume.

When I resume, I do hear the fans startup but nothing else seems to happen.
    After a hard reboot, nothing else is shown in syslog, only the restart of the system.

@Sloth: would it be possible for you to provide your 2.6.39-rc4 kernel config so I could try to rebuild with those? Maybe you have some kernel tweaks which might be related?

Also, which version of grub-efi are you now using?
    I've still on grub-efi-amd64 1.99~rc1~13ubuntu3, didn't try to build latest grub rc2, is that one required?

And, if you could also post the grub-mkimage command you used to build grub-efi, together with your complete grub.cfg, hopefully I might be able to reproduce your results and be 100% satisfied then too

Thanks

BTW: when installing my 2.6.39-rc4 kernel, I get a compile failure on hid-dkms (1.1.2~utouch1 from mactel-support PPA), but I don't think that is/should be related or really problematic, is it?
    However, maybe someone knows how to fix that one too?
    I've attached my kernel config and grub config.

I don't have the grub-mkimage command, sorry, but IIRC, I pulled it straight from the TestingGrub2OnAMAcBook page I linked to previously.

As far as fan control and keyboard backlight, it's important to note that I'm controlling those using a daemon I wrote myself - which I posted a few pages back.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I've attached my kernel config and grub config.

I don't have the grub-mkimage command, sorry, but IIRC, I pulled it straight from the TestingGrub2OnAMAcBook page I linked to previously.

As far as fan control and keyboard backlight, it's important to note that I'm controlling those using a daemon I wrote myself - which I posted a few pages back.
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll give it a try and report back.
    I also got your daemon for fan control and keyboard backlight. Will try that too.

Beans

Sloth, quick question: I noticed your .config is based on 2.6.39-rc5:

# Linux/x86_64 2.6.39-rc5 Kernel Configuration

Does this mean you used http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...9-rc5-oneiric/ ?
    I can't find a 2.6.39-rc5 for Natty.
    Last edited by yellow; April 27th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zavidos View Post
    Hi all, I have installed ubuntu 10.10 on my new MBP 8,3, but after some minutes of utilization the keyboard and mouse freeze and I can move the mouse only with an external one, what I have to do?

p.s. I'm new of linux world
    p.p.s wi-fi work with bcm4331
    up please help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Sloth, quick question: I noticed your .config is based on 2.6.39-rc5:

# Linux/x86_64 2.6.39-rc5 Kernel Configuration

Does this mean you used http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...9-rc5-oneiric/ ?
    I can't find a 2.6.39-rc5 for Natty.
    Nope, I built that from the latest kernel.org source.

You'll want to troll through that config with some care; I tend to disable stuff I don't need and I'm pretty agrgessive about it....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gr3gg0r View Post
    Just picked up a new MBP 8,1 ... I'm having trouble getting it to boot off of a usb stick or a cd. rEFIt doesn't recognize the cd or usb stick. It did recognize the USB stick once, but after selecting it, it said no bootable medium detected ... insert something and press any key to continue.

I'm following this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation

Is there something more up to date, or is there a different set of steps for the 2011 MBPs?
    The cd should boot when holding the option (alt) key when starting the computer. The cd also did not show up in refit with me.

Though, I am unable to run Ubuntu live nor install it, the screen goes blank after a few minutes of loading..??? Macbook Pro 8,1 (2011 13 inch), 8 GB of memory
    Last edited by joost1123; April 28th, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: other post indicated my problem could be because of 8 GB memory?!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joost1123 View Post
    The cd should boot when holding the option (alt) key when starting the computer. The cd also did not show up in refit with me.

Though, I am unable to run Ubuntu live nor install it, the screen goes blank after a few minutes of loading..??? Macbook Pro 8,1 (2011 13 inch), 8 GB of memory
    The 'C' key iirc, will boot the CD/DVD in the drive.

On the 8GB, I also have 8GB of memory. So unlikely to cause any issues for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by axflash View Post
    The 'C' key iirc, will boot the CD/DVD in the drive.

On the 8GB, I also have 8GB of memory. So unlikely to cause any issues for you.
    You're saying you can boot into the Ubuntu 11.04 beta (2 ) live cd without problems on an 8GB MBP 8,x ? Because here it hangs on the Ubuntu loading screen

Beans

You're saying you can boot into the Ubuntu 11.04 beta (2 ) live cd without problems on an 8GB MBP 8,x ? Because here it hangs on the Ubuntu loading screen
    Haven't tried beta2, I booted and installed off alpha2 (or 3) when I got the notebook.

Beans

I got Ubuntu 11.04 installed finally (holding the alt key). It went pretty smoothly for me. I have keyboard backlight, 3d accel, all the buttons up top work correctly, multitouch for the trackpad. The only thing not working is wifi (So I have an old phone tethered). I also have 8gb of ram (but it's 3rd party, it didn't come from Apple - probably doesn't make a difference).

Another question: If I'm using refit, what mode is Ubuntu booting in, is it using EFI?

Page 33 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast