Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Macbook Pro 8,3 is the 17" model; I'm having about the same experience as everyone else. I will try the broadcom driver first, then the ndiswrapper solution, but I think I'll update to natty first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by huwshimi View Post
    Any luck with this? Thanks heaps for your effort.
    Nope, newer versions of the driver don't work with ndiswrapper, older versions don't have support for the chip we have, and even pulling from ndiswrapper SVN ends up with either a kernel hang or at least modprobe hanging and the kernel hanging if you try to disrupt it.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Nope, newer versions of the driver don't work with ndiswrapper, older versions don't have support for the chip we have, and even pulling from ndiswrapper SVN ends up with either a kernel hang or at least modprobe hanging and the kernel hanging if you try to disrupt it.
    Is this likely to be affected at all by the fact you are trying with amd64?

Beans

Well the older x86 driver still won't support the chip and the newer one fails due to trying to use a bunch of Windows kernel functions that ndiswrapper doesn't support so x86 won't help there.

There is a small chance x86 would help with the hanging but I doubt it and you give up too much by using x86 anyway.
    Travis Watkins

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well the older x86 driver still won't support the chip and the newer one fails due to trying to use a bunch of Windows kernel functions that ndiswrapper doesn't support so x86 won't help there.

There is a small chance x86 would help with the hanging but I doubt it and you give up too much by using x86 anyway.
    Does that mean pretty much waiting for ndiswrapper to be updated before we get wireless then?

Beans

The last commit to ndiswrapper was a couple weeks ago adding 2.5.38 compatibility. The one before that was 5 months ago. I doubt you'll see a fix on the ndiswrapper side for this. We just need a native driver.
    Travis Watkins

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

After playing some more with it, I am able to log in and use the system just fine using "classic desktop" mode. Using unity, it crashes repeatedly. Probably partly the bugs with unity, partly the absence of a correct driver for the radeon graphics card.

Webcam, sound, SD Card reader and microphone work out-of-the-box.

Monitor resolution is perfect.

Touchpad works as a normal touchpad, but I can't figure out how to get a right-click action out of it. Ctrl+click = middle mouse action (sometimes, like on hyperlinks, but won't close a firefox tab). Multitouch does not work.

Bluetooth is not recognized. Extended keyboard functions like play/pause, volume control, etc do not work.

Thunderbolt (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1) & SMBus (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller), and Broadcom's Network controller are all listed as "UNCLAIMED" and are unrecognized.

This is on a base-install system with the most recent updates as of this post. I have not added any repositories or installed special applications except cheese to test the webcam and aptitude because I like it better than apt-get. No ubuntu-restricted-extras or mactel ppa.

Hope at least some of the info is helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gforster View Post
    After playing some more with it, I am able to log in and use the system just fine using "classic desktop" mode. Using unity, it crashes repeatedly. Probably partly the bugs with unity, partly the absence of a correct driver for the radeon graphics card.

Webcam, sound, SD Card reader and microphone work out-of-the-box.

Monitor resolution is perfect.

Touchpad works as a normal touchpad, but I can't figure out how to get a right-click action out of it. Ctrl+click = middle mouse action (sometimes, like on hyperlinks, but won't close a firefox tab). Multitouch does not work.

Bluetooth is not recognized. Extended keyboard functions like play/pause, volume control, etc do not work.

Thunderbolt (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1) & SMBus (Intel 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller), and Broadcom's Network controller are all listed as "UNCLAIMED" and are unrecognized.

This is on a base-install system with the most recent updates as of this post. I have not added any repositories or installed special applications except cheese to test the webcam and aptitude because I like it better than apt-get. No ubuntu-restricted-extras or mactel ppa.

Hope at least some of the info is helpful.
    Great news! Do you think you could update the wiki page? (I linked to it earlier in the thread) with this info?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gforster View Post
    How does that work anyway? If i do nothing, is the radeon active as the default display adapter? It's more often the other way around on hybrid graphics laptops (intel is the "primary" display adapter).
    What happens if one connects an external display (on the displayport i assume)? Does it work with either adapter active, or does the radeon have to be activated (like on most hybrid graphics solutions found in pc laptops)?
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

I suppose the best thing to do would be to report the logged output of ndiswrapper to the developers, so that with a little luck they could try to implement those unsupported windows kernel functions in ndiswrapper.

Also, my experience with ndiswrapper tells me you shouldn't give up so easily. One version of the windows driver might work perfectly, while another wont do anything at all. I also always try different flavours, like XP, VISTA and 2000 before i give up. I also try different versions of ndiswrapper, in combination with the above. It's a pain, but sometimes worth it.

This new chipset wouldn't by any chance be backwards compatible with some (linux native) driver from the same chipset family would it? Maybe you could try rebuilding some driver and just include the new device id?

I haven't got mine yet, so until then you guys are on your own
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast