Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Macbook Pro 8,1 + Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    So with the new packages for the keyboard and mouse I think the only things we're missing now are bluetooth, wifi, and thunderbolt.

Note: I've left the wifi instructions on the wiki as they seem to work for some people but personally I get a hard freeze when loading the module unless I wait until sometime (at least 20 minutes) after boot and even then it doesn't actually connect to anything. This used to work (at least once) as I was the one that provided the driver but apparently there have been some kernel changes since.

If you get a freeze while loading the module you'll also get a freeze on boot so you'll have to edit your grub boot line to change 'ro' to 'rw' and add 'init=/bin/bash' (no quotes on either) so you can boot to a shell, run `ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5 && sync` then hold the power button to shut down.
    Where are the packages? Are they in ubuntu repo or do we have to back port?
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Or visit my blog (No Ads)

Beans

Ok, scratch that, it looks like bluetooth works too, it just needs the id (05ac:821a) added to the driver. Here is a quick package that does this. It doesn't seem to want to install the kernel module after installing the package but I just did `sudo dkms uninstall -m btusb -v 1.0.6 && sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 1.0.6 --force` after installing the package to force it to install the module.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ok, scratch that, it looks like bluetooth works too, it just needs the id (05ac:821a) added to the driver. Here is a quick package that does this. It doesn't seem to want to install the kernel module after installing the package but I just did `sudo dkms uninstall -m btusb -v 1.0.6 && sudo dkms install -m btusb -v 1.0.6 --force` after installing the package to force it to install the module.
    Did you get right clicking working? I have been watching the wiki and haven't seen anything.
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Or visit my blog (No Ads)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b16a2smith View Post
    Where are the packages? Are they in ubuntu repo or do we have to back port?
    They're in this thread somewhere, I think page 6.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans

Just a question about graphics. I'm running kubuntu on the mpb 13" and I experienced a lot of graphical bug especially on windows border and on some scrolling bar and drop down lists. Do you have the same problem ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _mario_ View Post
    Hi,

can someone please provide some more hardware details, i.e., by attaching the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    lspci -vnn > lspci.txt 2>&1
    sudo lsusb -v > lsusb.txt 2>&1
    sudo acpidump > acpidump.bin
    The files should be named: lspci.txt, lsusb.txt, and acpidump.bin. The latter command needs the additional package acpidump.

Please don't forget to mention your exact machine. If in doubt, run:
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode --string system-product-name
    thanks & ciao,
    Mario
    Hi Mario,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi,

I've done the same --force trick to all the dkms modules in dkms-packages-natty-for-testing.tar.gz and I do have the keyboard and mouse working now.

Alex

Beans

The hid, hid-apple and bcm5974 dkms packages for natty are now available in the mactel ppa. Also, the fixed 2.6.38 has been released, so within a day or so, there should be no problems with dkms installs (i.e., no need to use --force anymore).

Enjoy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poppop View Post
    Just a question about graphics. I'm running kubuntu on the mpb 13" and I experienced a lot of graphical bug especially on windows border and on some scrolling bar and drop down lists. Do you have the same problem ?
    I have that "problem" as well. I'ts probably kwin specific. Tried turning off blur and transparency, but that wasn't it unfortunately.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    Code:
    sudo ioreg -l -p IOPower | grep -i gmux
    Gives no output. I might as well send you the full output of IOPower and you can grep all you want
    this command isn't that important, since i already found the device in the ACPI tables.

agclog=10000 agcdebug=4294967295 does nothing of interest to my kernel log, it doesn't output anything from adjusting the backlight anyway. I copied your example verbatim, and repaired the disk permissions after modifying the file (just to be sure) and rebooted as per your instructions.
    that's very interesting.

Still, backlight control still works rather nicely using the screen brightness gui slider (power settings) in kubuntu natty at least.
    so, you can confirm that backlight adjustment does work on Linux? that's also very interesting. do you know which driver is responsible for this? and what does
    Code:
    ls -l /sys/class/backlight/
    output?

thanks & ciao,
    Mario

Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast