Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu + Zacate = ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu + Zacate = ???

So I was thinking of picking up a new 11.6" ultraportable that uses AMD's new Zacate APU architecture, most likely the Lenovo Thinkpad x120e. I know that AMD / Ati are less than awesome under Ubuntu, and this is a new chipset, so I was a little concerned about how compatible the system will be. My experience with Ubuntu troubleshooting still isn't the greatest, so I'd like to have as little headaches as possible.

Anyone have any experience using Ubuntu on any of these systems? How does it work?

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu + Zacate = ???

BUMP! Just bought a Sony Vaio YB15 and wanted to know too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1641916

it's about hp dm1z, can be done but tricky though the wifi appears to be the main source of problems (as usual). I'd wait for 11.04 to see if there will be more robust support for ontario/zacate. Of course you can give livecd/usb a spin to see what things look like first hand.
    Last edited by Vaphell; February 28th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

Beans

It will arrive in a few days.
    As soon as it gets here, I will test 11.04 and post the results.

Beans

Tried to boot with Xubuntu Natty alpha.

Used usb-creator to transfer it to a usb disk.

After the splash, the wireless light turns on and all I get is this black screen. CRTL+ALT+F1-4 do not work. System seems frozen.

No success at all.

Beans

Sometimes it freezes on a black screen, sometimes it gives a seriously scrambled screen with white and black dots.

After several attempts I could get to desktop, but the desktop was cut in the half, and left side was in the right. Very strange!!!

Apart from that, hardware seems to work.

I could connect to wired ethernet, and wireless seems to work as I could see my neighbours' network.

Sound seems to work too, as sound channels appear in the mixer. Sadly I didn't have any sound files to play and confirm.

Well, something is obviously wrong with the default display driver that is loaded for this "GPU".

I will post a picture I took of the weird desktop problem.

If I get it to work again, I will post some lsusb, lspci, lshw for your pleasure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by landeel View Post
    Sometimes it freezes on a black screen, sometimes it gives a seriously scrambled screen with white and black dots.

After several attempts I could get to desktop, but the desktop was cut in the half, and left side was in the right. Very strange!!!

Apart from that, hardware seems to work.
    I guess, the obvious reason is that the drivers that ship with 10.10 are just too old to support Fusion. I believe the drivers were updated in January.

Could you please try using 11.04?

Also it would be great if someone tried HD playback on 11.04. Including Flash.

Beans

Yeah, I'm trying Xubuntu Natty Alpha 2 (11.04)...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by landeel View Post
    Yeah, I'm trying Xubuntu Natty Alpha 2 (11.04)...
    OK... Could you please try OpenSuSE 11.4? I know, it's weird, but ATM it's more recent than Ubuntu 10.10 and close to stable (it's Release Candidate 2 right now).

Beans

Sorry, I have a very slow connection right now. Maybe next week.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast