Page 554 of 569 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556564 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Secondly, the point I made was not that Mythbuntu is lacking applications that I need. I'm perfectly capable of installing any packages that I need that didn't come with the default installation. The statement I was making was in reference to the desktop environment, which is a standard xfce4 shell, just like Xubuntu.

Again, I'll simplify my statement so you understand it. I use Unity on two different computers and xfce4 (which has a menu structure very similar to Gnome 2) on another. I use all three computers on a daily basis. Now that I'm used to Unity, I personally find it to be a more efficient DE than xfce4. I hope that clarifies my point. I'd be happy to elucidate further, if necessary.
    The point I was making was just that it's unfair to criticize for Mythbuntu for being simple when that was what it's supposed to be. It needs to run on low end low power machines. It's like complaining that a compact car can't carry as much as a SUV.

Comparing against something that's intended to be a full featured desktop like Kubuntu or Mint is more of an even comparison.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    The point I was making was just that it's unfair to criticize for Mythbuntu for being simple when that was what it's supposed to be. It needs to run on low end low power machines. It's like complaining that a compact car can't carry as much as a SUV.

Comparing against something that's intended to be a full featured desktop like Kubuntu or Mint is more of an even comparison.
    I'll simplify further. I'll be as explicit as possible, in order to try to avoid further confusion.

• Mythbuntu uses a fairly standard default xfce4 desktop. The primary difference between Mythbuntu and a standard Xubuntu installation is that there are less applications shipped with Mythbuntu (e.g., there is no word processor included, nor even a default text editor). The desktop itself (i.e., the use of text-based menus in a gnome 2-like panel) is standard xfce4.
    • The standard xfce4 desktop is very much like the standard gnome 2 desktop.
    • After using both Unity and the xfce4 desktop on a daily basis, I find that Unity is (for me, at least) easier and more productivity enhancing than xfce4.
    • I wasn't referring to KDE4 in my statement, because that's not the relevant comparison. KDE4 is nothing like gnome 2.
    • I wasn't referring to Linux Mint in my statement, because Linux Mint is heavily modified.
    • People complain about the loss of gnome 2, because it was so much more productivity-enhancing than Unity (or Gnome Shell, for that matter).
    • In my personal experience, Unity is more productivity-enhancing than a desktop that mirrors the default gnome 2 experience.

Beans

Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I hear ya. So I don't know how much polls like that mean, anyway.
    Speaking of polls, why is this one closed? I see over 5,000 replies but only 155 votes in the poll...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Speaking of polls, why is this one closed? I see over 5,000 replies but only 155 votes in the poll...
    Because it was originally posted when 11.04 was launched. The initial results do not necessarily reflect the view people have now. Other threads have been merged into this one, so the poll has kind of lost its relevance.

Beans

lot's of people are using Unity, i think that's good, the more feedback, the better it gets or at least that's what i like to think.

Perhaps and in my opinion, those of us that are half way to like Unity is because we are used to work in a customizable environment, something that Unity is not having, and because is not as intuitive as one might wish, but i have to say that doesn't take you too long to figure out things, the system tray is important and i think it has to still exist in further versions, it also will save some icons for the side bar which sometimes proves to be a tall tower and in general, is not ready yet to be claimed as a solid Desktop for the daily tasks.

My mayor concern about Unity is not it's looks or it's arrangement, but it's work flow, even with a good videocard and ram, applications which never would have problems and that indeed don't have in other desktops, present lags, drop of performance and in some cases stall, this regardless their current development status. i'm looking forward to future releases anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    It is completely pointless posting your feedback on decisions made from the top here. Ubuntu developers do not read these forums and shouldn't be expected to.

Discussion is discussion and is fine.

Trolling is trolling and will be dealt with.
    I guess I understand that, but I have seen several mods suggest something like the opposite, that people should stop griping and post constructive suggestions here, intimating that ideas do trickle up from here.

Secondly, I can probably find several dozen threads here in the Cafe that were closed because they were deemed "circular and going nowhere." Those of us on the critiquing end of the discussion can only read this in one way: shut up already. Rah-rah threads NEVER get closed despite their pinpoint circularity, unless and until some "Negative Nelly" chimes in and starts an actual discussion.

UbuntuForums may not = Ubuntu, but the general trend here towards silencing critics of this or that aspect of Ubuntu would suggest otherwise.

Just sayin'.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    I guess I understand that, but I have seen several mods suggest something like the opposite, that people should stop griping and post constructive suggestions here, intimating that ideas do trickle up from here.

Secondly, I can probably find several dozen threads here in the Cafe that were closed because they were deemed "circular and going nowhere." Those of us on the critiquing end of the discussion can only read this in one way: shut up already. Rah-rah threads NEVER get closed despite their pinpoint circularity, unless and until some "Negative Nelly" chimes in and starts an actual discussion.

UbuntuForums may not = Ubuntu, but the general trend here towards silencing critics of this or that aspect of Ubuntu would suggest otherwise.

Just sayin'.
    This thread is here for a reason. People who wish to debate Unity should come here. They aren't silencing critics in any way. And pro-Unity threads usually last something like 13 posts before they die. Anti-Unity threads tend to go on and on and on.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Where is the other poll? The one that had hundreds of votes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

Just sayin'.
    the forums may not = Ubuntu
    the forum does represent a part of the community of users
    a part more likely to advocate for Ubuntu
    strong feelings can go negative
    repressive moderation, certainly won't make friends & positively influence people
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans

This Thread is about "first reactions to the Unity interface" not about a Poll.Please do not thread drift.

Thank you
    This account is not active.

Page 554 of 569 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556564 ... LastLast