Page 238 of 569 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288338 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu and Gnome no more!

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Although I use KDE, I still need to test things on Ubuntu, so I have it on a VM.

One thing I like a lot about Unity is the way the dock hides itself when you touch it with an application window. Also when you leave the maximized state it shows up. Really nice. Is there any standalone dock that can do that? I really hate when docks are displayed by moving the mouse to the screen edge. I constantly activate it accidentally.
    Didn't do that on my Toshiba netbook. The open form is partly hidden under the toolbar and there seems nothing I can do about it. Too much fart arsing about. It's going. Junk.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    I just don't understand this burning need to complain. Natty has been out for 1 day, 1 DAY, and people starts ragequitting because it's different.
    Maybe it's because the desktop on my netbook was made unusable? And if there are tweaks, why the hell should I have to dig into more obfuscated, poorly written, totally confusing documentation scattered all over the web to try and get it tweaked.

Change for change's sake is not change. It's a wank.
    The GuiGuy

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unity, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    It's interesting to note that a lot of users don't realise that you can completely remove the gnome-panel altogether, I haven't tried docky in years so I don't know how good it is these days. I should really give it a go and see how it compares to AWN
    That's it, though, isn't it? A GUI desktop is supposed to be intuitive and it should at least subscribe to some basic standards. Windows users moving between XP and 7 feel at home almost instantly. Macs? Well, they're Macs and the users' experience comes first.

But this fiasco, well it is something altogether different. Instant confusion, constant frustration. Sorry, but I don't have the time, the patience or the will to bother.
    The GuiGuy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    The doc package will be there in time for release.
    Whelp, 11.04 was officially released. Still no documentation for Unity. /usr/share/doc/unity/ is empty except for changelog.Debian.gz and copyright, and there is no 'unity-doc' package.

Am I the only one gobsmacked that the makers of Unity never thought to include instructions on how to use it?

I expected something like this:
    Code:
    moses@deunan:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/grub2
    AUTHORS              copyright       NEWS.gz  THANKS
    changelog.Debian.gz  NEWS.Debian.gz  README   TODO
    (the README for grub2 ain't much, but I was able to use it to write a sox script to preview the GRUB_INIT_TUNE feature, and it told me how I could add non-default features like changing font sizes)

Instead this is what I see:
    Code:
    moses@deunan:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/unity
    changelog.Debian.gz  copyright
    So if I want to find out how to add a launcher to the tray, I have to click around at random, or hit the forums and hope some kind soul did the clicking around at random and stumbled on the right answer before I asked.

Gonna go file a usability bug.

EDIT: The bug for missing documentation was filed on package 'unity' 12 months ago, 2011-07-02.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/600875
    Last comment that isn't a "me too!" was 2010-12-21.
    Last edited by Mozai; April 29th, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: launchpad link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mozai View Post
    Whelp, 11.04 was officially released. Still no documentation for Unity. /usr/share/doc/unity/ is empty except for changelog.Debian.gz and copyright, and there is no 'unity-doc' package.

Am I the only one gobsmacked that the makers of Unity never thought to include instructions on how to use it?

I expected something like this:
    Code:
    moses@deunan:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/grub2
    AUTHORS              copyright       NEWS.gz  THANKS
    changelog.Debian.gz  NEWS.Debian.gz  README   TODO
    (the README for grub2 ain't much, but I was able to use it to write a sox script to preview the GRUB_INIT_TUNE feature, and it told me how I could add non-default features like changing font sizes)

Instead this is what I see:
    Code:
    moses@deunan:~$ ls /usr/share/doc/unity
    changelog.Debian.gz  copyright
    So if I want to find out how to add a launcher to the tray, I have to click around at random, or hit the forums and hope some kind soul did the clicking around at random and stumbled on the right answer before I asked.

Gonna go file a usability bug.

EDIT: The bug for missing documentation was filed on package 'unity' 12 months ago, 2011-07-02.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/600875
    Last comment that isn't a "me too!" was 2010-12-21.
    Press F1, or use the Dash to search for "Help"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
    A GUI desktop is supposed to be intuitive and it should at least subscribe to some basic standards. Windows users moving between XP and 7 feel at home almost instantly.
    Actually, they have been pretty consistent overall since Windows 95, though each iteration got more complicated.

The biggest change was when they introduced the Ribbon which, iIrc, caused (and is still causing) quite a stir.

So I suspect this Unity deal isn't going to die down too quickly if Office's Ribbon is any indicator of how long people can hold a memory (grudge)
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New ubuntu 11.04 GUI SUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by otherethe View Post
    I dont know about you guys but i hate this new look and fill of the desktop and I thank god i found out how to change it back to classic gnome if i wanna spend 20 hours trying to find stuff or if i wanna Look at a netbook type screen i'd go buy a freaking netbook sorry im sure they put in alot of hardwork and this new Desktop they made would prob go good on a netbook but good lord keep classic gnome as def from now on it took me for ever to find out how to get back to classic even tho it was super simple you guys put wayyyyyyyy to much gui into this Most of us use linux to get away from the gui not to jump knee deep into it Let me know your fillings on this matter guys but let me know your thou on this new desktop GUI they got going here My tho is I HATE IT
    Full-stops would've made it easier to read, especially for people who don't have English as their best language.

Unity is built around search. Use it. Instead of navigating the lenses to run programs that you know, hit Alt-F2 and just start typing. Once the program has been run once, you can pin it to the launcher and launch it with a single mouse-click.

How long have you been using Unity? An hour or two? Use it for a week or two. You'll get used to it; in fact, you'll probably like it. There are a couple of corner cases where Unity is not appropriate, such as dual monitors; but Unity actually works better on a big desktop screen than on a netbook because you can fit in more icons on the launcher, and you don't lose precious vertical space on a widescreen monitor.

It's not possible to keep "classic Gnome" forever - it's been abandoned by its developers. Either Unity or plain Gnome 3 are the way forward, and plain Gnome 3 is not much of an option for Ubuntu because it means chucking out a lot of their now-mature Ubuntu-specific code.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe it's because the desktop on my netbook was made unusable?
    No it was not. You've only been using the thing for a day. I've been using Unity for months. Unity is very usable, and it's not Unity's fault if you don't want to actually get used to it. I'm using it on netbook and desktop, and I prefer it on the desktop actually.

All Unity's settings are in one place: Compizconfig Settings Manager. If anything, Classic Gnome has "poorly documented" settings - a lot of the useful ones are in gconf-editor.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Unity? I think its faster than what we were used to.

I dont know about you guys but i hate this new look and fill of the desktop and I thank god i found out how to change it back to classic gnome if i wanna spend 20 hours trying to find stuff or if i wanna Look at a netbook type screen i'd go buy a freaking netbook sorry im sure they put in alot of hardwork and this new Desktop they made would prob go good on a netbook but good lord keep classic gnome as def from now on it took me for ever to find out how to get back to classic even tho it was super simple you guys put wayyyyyyyy to much gui into this Most of us use linux to get away from the gui not to jump knee deep into it Let me know your fillings on this matter guys but let me know your thou on this new desktop GUI they got going here My tho is I HATE IT
    I think its faster to open applications in Unity compared to what we are used to. If I want to look for an application, just type it in. Way faster than locating it inside a menu. Plus you don't need to download optional dock because it comes installed.

This I think revolutionizes the way we look at desktops and in Linux. A unique concept that only those who accepts change will be able to harness Unity's full potential.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Unity, why bother?

Windows users moving between XP and 7 feel at home almost instantly.
    AH-HA-ha-ha-ha, you must live in a very different place than I. Windows users moving from XP to Vista or Win7 (usually against their will) has been the biggest source of people asking me "so, how can I use that Linux-a-ma-jig thing I see on your computer?"

Changing the interface paradigm is an ubiquitous barrier to getting done, which causes frustration and upset users.

At least with Ubuntu/Unity, the login screen(*) gives you the option of falling back to a more familiar interface. When Mac users moved from System9 to OSX, and when Windows users moved from XP/2003 to Vista or Win7, they were forbidden from using the old paradigm.

(*:gdm or slim. I'm guessing you wouldn't install kdm unless you intended to always use KDE, and I don't know anyone who still uses the stock X11 xdm anymore.)

Page 238 of 569 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288338 ... LastLast