Page 307 of 569 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Explains why there have been so many complaints about failed net installs / corrupt upgrades - no-one has that much bandwidth in reserve to deliver a 5 star service with a peak like that

Graphs shows increased traffic to the ubuntu site - not downloads or installs of the new distro and much of it that is will be existing users auto upgrading.

I was in there with the Unity bashing - and truth be told had a hassle free upgrade - but am learning to live with it.

The best I can say really is that is it brings a different approach - different and better being two separate entities of course

Funnily enough - I just posted this and then hit the SuperKey expecting the dash... but i'm on 10.10 at the mo

Last edited by satanselbow; May 4th, 2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: doh!
    Code:
    cd /fridge/beer | drink && fallover

Beans

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Canecon View Post
    Wow, I didn't expect to see so many complaints about Unity. I understand people don't like changes, but I'd suggest everyone give it a try.
    Gave it a try and it's not about change. It's about unity. Unity is ridiculous attempt to mimic a cellphone interface.

If
    There are several good tutorials on customizing the launcher and using shortcuts.
    A tutorial won't change the fact that unity is not a usuable interface.

Some people don't realize that:
    1) You can add, remove, change the order of applications in the launcher. In reality most people use <10 applications on a frequent bases=>the launcher is not cluttered and you can access you favorite programs in just one mouse click. It takes several days to get used to using icons in the launcher, at the end of the day it feels very natural.
    2) Using shortcuts is simply great. Spend two minutes on learning them and maybe like me you'll feel that you productivity actually went up with Unity!
    Sorry but a couple of minor tweaks won't change change this into a usable desktop enviornmnet.

I've been using Fedora for the last two years, but I believe that Ubuntu 11.04 is better that Fedora 15. That's why instead of complaining about Fedora I simply installed Ubuntu on my computer. There are many good distros around, I'm sure everyone can find the one he/she likes.
    My congratulations to Canonical on another great version of Ubuntu.
    P.S. Somehow many complaints remind me of Windows users bashing Linux. The arguments are very similar.
    Yes switching distros seems to be the only solution. If Canonical had spent the time and effort it took to create this unusable interface improving the things that are wrong Linux , Linux and the open source community wound have benefited , instead they snubbed their noses at the community and tried to shove this thing down our collective throats.

Very Bill Gates of them.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

I keep hearing how Unity wastes a lot of space ..... here is a shot of my desktop running firefox, perhaps someone could point out where the space is wasted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

I like the appearance and functionality of Gnome.

Long live Gnome!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    And if Unity will be much better than Gnome Shell then why rush out an unfinished Unity? Wait until it is finished and fit for use and then folks will still change to it from Gnome Shell because it has compelling advantages.
    Since I began using Ubuntu, at 8.10, I can't remember a single release that wasn't "unfinished" in one form or another. That's because the users are actually part of the development process, and the developers depend upon our feedback from the response on various configurations and with various users, to iron out the bugs.

Same thing on Gnome Shell. You think that's a finished product? Heck no! I mean, I like it a lot, and was actually using it on a production system ages ago, but it still needs a *huge* amount of polish. I have no criticism of anyone who chooses either DE, but this Canonical rage seems a bit excessive to me. Canonical is a far cry from MS or Apple. Nobody is forcing your hand, here, except for the cold, robotic hand of advancing technology.
    Last edited by Docaltmed; May 4th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    Since I began using Ubuntu, at 8.1, I can't remember a single release that wasn't "unfinished" in one form or another. That's because the users are actually part of the development process, and the developers depend upon our feedback from the response on various configurations and with various users, to iron out the bugs.

Same thing on Gnome Shell. You think that's a finished product? Heck no! I mean, I like it a lot, and was actually using it on a production system ages ago, but it still needs a *huge* amount of polish. I have no criticism of anyone who chooses either DE, but this Canonical rage seems a bit excessive to me. Canonical is a far cry from MS or Apple. Nobody is forcing your hand, here, except for the cold, robotic hand of advancing technology.
    I recommended Karmic to my Mother. I have not been able to recommend anything since then to anyone. Okay for me, but if people pass it on, make sure to iron out the bugs before you release it. lucid and Maverick, and now Natty. How can anyone recommend Ubuntu now? and what an embarrasment to Linux. If Ubuntu continues in the same direction, then it would be best to dissasociate Ubuntu from Debian and Linux.
    The code is free but the data is priceless.

Beans

I switched over to KDE 4.6.2. Best move I ever made. KDE has come a long way. I really didn't hate the Unity interface, it just wasn't for me. Thank God for choices,

BTW, yes, Linux Mint is moving to Gnome 3, but they will be using fall back mode. I don't know how long that can last though. Gnome shell isn't for me either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@NCLI

A new UI design, with a faster way to launch applications,..
    please specify why apps now can be loaded faster?
    Check the link in my sign to know what is fast.

I can now work faster, and more efficiently, than I could using Gnome 2.XX. Again, personal opinions FTW!

I have the idea that you never exploited the possibilities of
    Gnome2/Compiz/Avant/Easystroke....
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, what you're saying is that Unity sucks because it's too different. Not a valid criticism.
    but it is (a valid criticism), and thats the point many here trying to defend unity are totally missing, it is too different compared to previous changes, many reasonably seasoned ubuntu users like myself have been used to a steadily improving stable familiar platform that we use in work and home life with minor gripes and small changes that made us smile or frown, the unity interface is so different that threads like this exist.

many here are suggesting it just needs polish ... the ability to not move the menu , or have good enough graphics to enable compiz to at least partially customize it is not a bit of missing polish, its a big rusty dent.

Yes we can all `move to a different disto` , but thats a cop-out. Whether you like unity or not (I like it on my netbook BTW) you are fooling yourselves if you think that we are all nay-saying stuck in the mud blinkered conservatives who just dont like change, we are regular run of the mill everyday users who mostly don't care if its gnome1/2/3 or pixie 5.6 behind the scenes as long as it provides a consistent usable interface so we don't have to go around distro shopping with every release.

Prior to Ubuntu I would change distros more often than my socks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YesWeCan View Post
    Thanks but I didn't try hard to find a bad review. I went to The Register which is mainstream press. In terms of finding bad reviews, have you read the rest of this thread and others and have you noticed the poll results?

oh please, the register is known for its sensationalism, they will do almost anything for traffic.

but they are free to express their opinion. and If the author highlighted the real pros/cons and suggestions to fix those cons, then thats fine.
    Last edited by madjr; May 4th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 307 of 569 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407 ... LastLast