Page 531 of 569 FirstFirst ... 31431481521529530531532533541 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,310 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Is that ... Crux? Clearlooks was too hip and trendy for you? = )

Beans

Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

At first I did not like the changes. However, now that I realize that in some ways it allows me to navigate to my programs with speed greater speed I am becoming so accustomed to it that it feels awkward when i return to my 10.04 installation. It took a few months, but I definitely appreciate the ability to launch any software without having to use the mouse or clutter my screen with icons. It is a bit like adding command line functionality to a gui. I haven't seemed to find a way to inhibit sleep properly with 11.10. Though, that is likely due to a lack of effort so far.

Beans

Re: I dislike Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, but still want their stability. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    In that it hasn't crashed and required a hard restart? By that measure, 11.04 was and 11.10 is stable for me.
    I run 11.10 on more servers than most normal people would ever sanely consider. Works great here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I dislike Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, but still want their stability. What to do?

There's a lot of great desktop environments available. Take your time and try them out. No need for hate here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    This is what I use and it install and works great:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/next
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    Attachment 206984
    Cool, thanks. For some reason that's not the ppa linked to on the project page in Launchpad that VinDSL provided (although he did give this ppa).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dsfitzpat View Post
    For some reason that's not the ppa linked to on the project page in Launchpad that VinDSL provided (although he did give this ppa).
    Sorry! Been working on XSLT style sheets for 5 days.

Getting a little foggy...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

No worries. It'd be nice if they'd link to this ppa on the launchpad site though! The customization options are starting to show some promise. I've got my old weather and cpu monitor applets back in the panel, with a bit of tinkering with the backlight settings for the launcher I've got great feedback on running programs, etc. (Although admittedly in older Ubuntus I always deleted the bottom panel - along with the task manager - and used AWN instead, so I don't have the seemingly common withdrawal pangs associated to that.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure what you mean by "you can't do what you want". The desktop is really just a way of managing files, running programs, and switching between running windows. In this way, Gnome 2 and Unity are different but equal. Perhaps Unity is even a little better in some ways.

If you're talking about customization, well, most software starts off being merely "functional" and then becomes more "customizable" over time. Unity is no different. There will be more options added to Unity.

You're free to move to something like XFCE if you really want, but be aware that Unity takes a few days to really get comfortable with; and once comfortable with Unity you can easily be comfortable with Gnome Shell. Unity has some excellent features that might not be apparent if you've only used it for a short time. Don't judge Unity so quickly; give it a few more days and see if you like it. And if you still don't, then try it in 12.04. It's still young and developing software.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "you can't do what you want". The desktop is really just a way of managing files, running programs, and switching between running windows. In this way, Gnome 2 and Unity are different but equal. Perhaps Unity is even a little better in some ways.
    I'm not agree. The Gnome 2 + Synapse is superior without any doubt.
    Unity is too full of bad design decisions, like all sorts of autohiding (autohiding is a pure evil, since it dramatically decreases predictability and prevent of forming behaviour reflexes). May be it's good for tiny laptop screens in order to save some screen estate, but only a few people need this with ≥20 inch displays.
    Another aspect is Unity's general slowness, which annoys and prevent the building of reflexes too.

Gnome shell is better in this regard (forming reflexes), but the proposed workflow suffers from its universal tablet/traditional PC approach and nowhere near as effective as one of Gnome 2 + Synapse. It also has some very strange design decisions like switch widget, that is inferior and less recognizable than old good checkbox used on device with mouse.

Beans

Practical question, important to me: Is Gnome 2 not going to be a possibility with 11.10 and later?

If that is the case, then I have to make a note not to go there, and to check out the alternatives.

I have moved to 11.04. Not interested in Unity. I like my panels and my menus, and I intend to continue with them --- preferably as an unbroken succession of personal preferences and tweaks to the "eye candy". I miss the finesse of using Emerald with Compiz, but Compiz's own options, along with stuff like Gnome Colour Chooser still gives me plenty of options to decorate my desktop the way I like it.

Equality is not in that different UIs all start and stop applications and manage files etc, etc, it is in how they do it. Unity is not equal, and, although I know less about it, I don't think Gnome 3 is either.

I don't work with my computer (any longer, thank goodness!) so productivity in the hard-line sense of the word is not important to me, but comfort, not tripping up on new imposed interfaces, and the personal pleasure of tweaking my way is what matters.

Honestly, this was never meant to be any sort of rant --- but I don't think the individual "my way" is part of the future for Ubuntu philosophy. I know there is still a choice. XFCE has been mentioned. There are several 'buntus. However, in making a desktop OS that is attractive and perfectly comprehensible to users of certain other commercial OSs, I feel that 10.04 hit a sweet spot, but after that, they completely lost the plot. Assuming, of course, that competing with those OSs was ever part of their aim at all: they might just be a bunch of people that enjoy doing weird things with desktops!
    Last edited by Thad E Ginathom; November 12th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Page 531 of 569 FirstFirst ... 31431481521529530531532533541 ... LastLast