Page 8 of 569 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans

Re: Unity, why bother?

Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    Second, screen real estate, what a waste. Unity takes up a lot of space with that silly sidepane on the left and surely on a netbook you want to maximise your use of all available space?
    My netbook is an engineering tool. The sidebar reduces the screen width available to view spreadsheet data by 8%, on my 1024x600 screen. I will soon either wear out the scroll L/R keys, or my eyes [by zooming out another 10%].
    Come on chaps, how about a simple double-click on the ubuntu key at top left, to hide/unhide the sidebar? [Auto-unhide is no good, when zipping around a maximised spreadsheet!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: Unity, why bother?

I didn''t like Unity, for every reason expressed here. But I want to sintetize some points and share brief impressions:

Global menu is nice, but it needs to improve interoperability with Firefox and OpenOffice (LibreOffice).

Sidepanel is not a bad idea at all, but maybe it should be smaller, it consumes too much space, in this case the medicine was worse than the illness.

Applications menu is really slow and buggy, we don't need 4 clicks to open a new program. The worst part is that Nautilus is so hidden, 20 seconds to reach a document. We want something fast and simple!

Unity as a whole is not versatile, it doesn't fit user view of her own desktop, it feels like a dictatorial desicion from developer, not the software libre spirit at all.

I'm using Gnome Desktop again, less space, but it works.
    "Demasiada animalidad desfigura al hombre cultural, demasiada cultura crea animales enfermos."

-- Carl Gustav Jung

Beans

Unity is really unfinished. As been stated mainly those reasons.

Some one mentioned hit F11 to go full screen with a browser? So on my netbook I need to attach an external keyboard to get F11 to F12..it has neither of those two buttons.

Speed isn't too bad but this is a netbook I have that frame of mind that it won't be too speedy.

But make it faster and make the side panel optional or/and hideable when you maximize (maybe a third/second click for another maximize).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
    Some one mentioned hit F11 to go full screen with a browser? So on my netbook I need to attach an external keyboard to get F11 to F12..it has neither of those two buttons.
    That is really a fault with your netbook.

Beans

Not really when I went with a smaller netbook. It was cheaper and hard better hardware than the 10". So because I choose a smaller netbook that I knew didn't have F11/F12..its bad?

Unity has a ways to go..it can turn into something nicer..this is the first instance of it.

Beans

Well at least I know why they put the window buttons on the left now.
    Last edited by swoll1980; October 26th, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Perhaps this was covered already, but from the screenshots and youtube videos I've seen, every instance has the side panel on the left. But uh, I have a 2nd monitor on the left. Just not sure how this will work out...

But hey, Ubuntu and Linux in general have done some "WTF?" things before that turned out real good - so I won't hardly put it past them that Unity may come out as a final project and really kick some ***. But there's still that tiny hint of doubt that has me wondering.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I dont like Unity at all myself. Gnome Shell 3 on the other hand is very very slick. After they work out the bugs...man what a slick desktop. Hitting the super button shows you everything your doing and brings up the menu. Its very very handy. When its ready I am defo switching to it. If its not supported in ubuntu then Ill just go with a distro that does support it....prolly just go back to Arch.

On the other hand it may give smaller distros a one up on ubuntu. Who knows. For me at least Unity in its current state is not for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ask me about Unity

Instructions here:
    http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/1418...se-about-unity

Questions there (so we can use Ask Ubuntu's voting system to prioritize what people are interested in), and of course feel free to continue discussing the questions and answers here in the forums!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Ask me about Unity

yay, people are talking! Thank you for this

Page 8 of 569 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast