Page 70 of 569 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Stop Unity... Yes? No?

Quote Originally Posted by czr114 View Post
    It's funny to watch so many fervent Unity supporters try and convince the rest they've got a problem they never knew they had.

Seems like an, "Eat your asparagus, you'll like it" mentality.
    It's not about convincing anyone, it's about refuting FUD.

Beans
    Distro

It's funny to watch so many fervent Unity supporters try and convince the rest they've got a problem they never knew they had.

Seems like an, "Eat your asparagus, you'll like it" mentality.
    asparagus is healthy

anyway why are you attacking unity if gnome classic will be available for you?

if you attack unity, you need to do the same for gnome shell too. But that may be worse because they may not offer the classic and it will be default on every other gnome distro. At least you can run from unity, but gshell will be after you everywhere you go
    Last edited by madjr; December 4th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    exactly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by whalogreg View Post
    In Mark's quote, it mentions Microsoft's discovery of confusing different window's menus. I personally have never had this problem, and have never once heard of someone complaining about this on this forum, or anywhere else.
    By “I” I meant me, not Mark.

In Windows 95, the menu bar in an unfocused window looked exactly the same as the menu bar in the focused window.

In Windows 98 and later, Microsoft changed the appearance of menu bars so that they always look disabled in background windows, even when they aren’t. No other controls had this effect, just menus.

Why? The only reason I can think of is that Microsoft discovered people were accidentally using the menu bar in background windows when they meant to use the menu bar in the foreground window.

And I also don't understand the part of the quote which states

"That larger screen slows down the action of travelling to a menu. But it doesn't slow that action down five-fold. It doesn't slow it down nearly as much as putting menus inside the window would."
    rg4w has explained that one.

As for indicators in the panel, I was talking more about putting custom launchers and adding things such as Cardapio to it, not indicators from other programs.
    Whether Cardapio integrates into Unity’s menu bar is up to the Cardapio developers.
    Last edited by mpt; December 4th, 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Windows, not Window, derp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

So I'll just stick with Maverick until "Gubuntu" is a thing.

Beans

"This interface sucks, it's annoying and makes me feel unproductive" is the exact same as "I don't like the taste of asparagus."

The FUD being spewed is coming from those claiming GNOME 2 is somehow broken or not able to do something critical. There is no fundamental problem with it, only users who want bright and shiny over clean and simple.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyThirteen View Post
    So I'll just stick with Maverick until "Gubuntu" is a thing.
    It IS a thing, it's called "Ubuntu Classic." It is available from the login screen in the default installation!

Beans
    Distro

It IS a thing, it's called "Ubuntu Classic." It is available from the login screen in the default installation!
    maybe hes asking for gubuntu : the gshell version
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

"This interface sucks, it's annoying and makes me feel unproductive" is the exact same as "I don't like the taste of asparagus."

The FUD being spewed is coming from those claiming GNOME 2 is somehow broken or not able to do something critical. There is no fundamental problem with it, only users who want bright and shiny over clean and simple.
    No. Some of us are just sick of people whining over useless stuff that doesn't matter. GNOME 2 will still be on the default installation, so there's NO ISSUE AT ALL with Unity. If you don't like it, relogin with GNOME. It really is that simple.

Also, how can you judge how "usable" it is? The thing isn't even out yet and only just made it to Alpha.

It really just shows people will just complain and fright over the slightest hint of change. Like really, everyone here goes on about how Linux can let you do anything and how you can customize it.

If you don't like Unity, don't use the ****ing thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    asparagus is healthy
    So are many other vegetables. A person can get his servings of healthy vegetables without ever touching asparagus. Same for DEs.

anyway why are you attacking unity if gnome classic will be available for you?
    I'm attacking the idea that Unity is somehow an absolute improvement or progression, rather than a simple shift in the UI paradigm.

FF4 will be better than FF3. Ext3 was a better general-purpose filesystem than ext2. Unity is simply different.

There is a lot of bias favoring change for the sake of change.

if you attack unity, you need to do the same for gnome shell too. But that may be worse because they may not offer the classic and it will be default on every other gnome distro. At least you can run from unity, but gshell will be after you everywhere you go
    I'm not defending GNOME Shell.

Page 70 of 569 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast