Page 547 of 569 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,470 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

  1. #5461
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,419

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    I'd say I use the wheels off the damn thing, and at any given time, I have multiple tasks going on simultaneously.Both Unity and Shell work brilliantly for me.
    You MUST be wrong, because it is impossible to believe that Gnome 3 and Unity were created in order to enhance productivity. As has been argued repeatedly (and therefore, it must be true!), Gnome 2 is the absolutely perfect DE which appeals to many trillions of users throughout the known universe, and Canonical and the Gnome devs have abandoned it for no other reason than they hate their users.

  2. #5462
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,419

    Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Interesting... from the point of view that it shows how lazy people are... and how you can skew the results depending on how you ask the question.

    Chris
    Yes. Nothing is more misleading than asking the question "Ubuntu 11.10: Which Desktop Environment are you using?", and then providing all of the major DEs available on 11.10 as choices.

    I mean, come on! That question is so ambiguous!

  3. #5463
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Beans
    490
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Actually, not true. Unity isn't yet ready for tablets. It depends a lot on the mouse's hover position, which isn't present in a tablet interface. While future releases should make a fairly smooth transition from desktop to tablet, it's basically unusable on a tablet as-is without some serious tweaking. It's very much designed for the desktop, and specifically netbooks, since it grew up from the interface of Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
    [...]
    Outside of slates, netbooks are slightly over-represented, but I don't think Ubuntu installs really favor any one form factor.
    This is what I wrote on April 30th, just after trying Unity for the very first time:

    "I suspect that the real purpose of Unity is to attempt to create a OS
    specifically tailored for laptops/netbooks/tablet computers. The success
    of android must have convinced some heads at Canonical that they have
    the opportunity of taking marked shares from MS Windows in this marked."


    I still believe the point behind Unity has been to create an all in one interface for netbooks,
    tablets, phones and desktop computers. I understand the logic behind this, I see what they
    are trying to pull off. Since there's so much heat about this issue right now, I won't go into
    much detail about my opinions on Unity as a desktop DE... However, I believe there can be
    no doubt about the fact that the main design consideration behind Unity, has been to make
    something that works well on small screens.

    Shuttleworth: Ubuntu is heading to phones and tablets

    "Ubuntu’s new Unity shell will play a key role in Canonical’s plans to bring the Ubuntu user
    experience to smaller screens. The platform already has preliminary tablet support, including
    experimental functionality for touchscreen-based window management. It seems likely that
    the Qt-based Unity 2D experience will serve as the mobile implementation. The Qt Quick user
    interface design framework is well-suited for building touch-friendly mobile experiences."
    Last edited by Dry Lips; November 16th, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling

  4. #5464
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    17,063
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    You MUST be wrong, because it is impossible to believe that Gnome 3 and Unity were created in order to enhance productivity. As has been argued repeatedly (and therefore, it must be true!), Gnome 2 is the absolutely perfect DE which appeals to many trillions of users throughout the known universe, and Canonical and the Gnome devs have abandoned it for no other reason than they hate their users.
    If you want to you can ask the design team directly via irc.
    http://design.canonical.com/2011/11/...touch-with-us/

  5. #5465
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    145
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

    Like some people say: "stats... stats... stats..."

    It's good... when it shows your point of view.





    Notice that Unity has less than half of the votes.

  6. #5466
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    If you want to you can ask the design team directly via irc.
    http://design.canonical.com/2011/11/...touch-with-us/
    I guess Unity broke your sarcasm meter.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  7. #5467
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    17,063
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I guess Unity broke your sarcasm meter.
    Not at all its a genuine effort by the design team for community members to get in touch. If you check out the team members you can ping the unity guy.

  8. #5468
    beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    2,783

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    This is an important point, that most ppl are overlooking, regarding customization.

    Unity has effectively been neutered.

    The way you customize Unity is by making changes to Gnome-Shell, which carryover to Unity.

    Put another way, GS serves the purpose as a customization tool for Unity.

    Example:
    (Click image to expand)

    I would not have been able to do much of this, without Gnome-Shell...
    Nice wallpaper. I used to use it in WinXP to make it look less Windozy, now it is gone, along with XP.

  9. #5469
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    1,419

    Re: Unity MEGA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I guess Unity broke your sarcasm meter.
    This. I'm a user and defender of Unity.

    In fact, I've noticed that on my HTPC running Mythbuntu (which uses a modified Xubuntu as its DE), I will be running a few programs and find myself reaching to the left side of the screen for a launcher which never appears. I'm heartbroken every time that happens. Xubuntu, which mirrors the old gnome 2 interface, is actually a lot less productivity-enhancing for me than Unity is. I probably would never have noticed it if I didn't use both DEs on a daily basis.

    My earlier post was meant to point out that I disagree with those who argue that gnome 2 was the best and only really usable DE.

  10. #5470
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    145
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: POLL : your first reactions to the Unity interface

    Unity has 47.21% of the votes.

    Is that a good thing?



Page 547 of 569 FirstFirst ... 47447497537545546547548549557 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •