Page 53 of 569 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

  1. #521
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    45
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Based on this it won't be a great deal of difference
    Registered Linux user: 461,426
    Registered Ubuntu user: 20512

  2. #522
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Death Star IV
    Beans
    492
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Don't care. Awesome WM for me. Also I don't use ubuntu, so its moot anyway.
    I had to do it.

  3. #523
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lost Angels
    Beans
    0
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: I dislike Unity

    I am on the fence about it but, like right in the top rail, considering to jump to either side. I like the approach, but I disagree with the total lack of customization. I would prefer it if it were customizable, I would like to be able to place the bar where ever I like top, bottom or either side, I believe an auto hide its a necessity (specially for NetBooks) and customization as far as what components of unity itself are displayed. I don't like or use the "Files and Folders" at all, more like its useless then unlike really. Transparencies and better performance would also be nice.

  4. #524
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Beans
    3,779

    Re: Ubuntu shift away from Gnome - I don't get the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Here Here!

    I believe that having the same interface is holding ubuntu back because there is always "another" distro with similar features you can jump too. I believe the same with the other distros. Similarity is stagnation.

    Ubuntu nor the other distros will ever make it big if they are all the same. The current situation in linux land is like car makers today. There was alot of companies, but they all made a truck a SUV and family van, and family car, and a fast sexy car. But they are all the same basically, just different colors and a different number of cup holder.
    Unless unity is just plain awful, or released under a non-GPL agreement, it will get used by other distros. Eventually.

    So unless things get very weird, it will be back to the status quo with yet another DE/WM. Wow, thats a great difference!

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I say "bring on the Delorean!"

    We need disruption in linux world. We need risk takers!

    Ubuntu can be our Delorean! Willing to change how we look at cars!

    Hopefully nay sayers won't fear the change and try to kill it like the real Delorean.
    Hopefully its not a 'pretty face with a gawd-awful engine and stupid suspension setup' like the delorean was. All style, no substance. Why people hold up the delorean as anything apart from a joke, and an example of how NOT to run a company is beyond me.

  5. #525
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    I voted wait and see. Since I am using 10.04 LTS and its been working great so far so I may not need to change just yet. But I will download and test it out on a different hard disk to check it out.

  6. #526
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Beans
    3,525
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Voted Yes!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

  7. #527
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Beans
    0
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Quote Originally Posted by PC_load_letter View Post
    My understanding, and I am no expert here so I could be wrong, is that many applications will be rewritten anyway for the MeeGo (which uses Wayland or going to) to run on netbooks and mobile phones supporting it. Plus, what's wrong with having a FLAWLESS smooth visual experience for once on a Linux system. I think this decision was right on the money, and it's about time to retire X11.

    As for Unity, it's too early to tell, but it seems to be an improvement if they made it to work w/ Compiz. I was really kind of shocked when the Gnome project ditched Compiz (in favor of mutter) for the development of Gnome shell. What Canonical seems to be doing makes more sense IMHO.
    Wayland doesn't have X's network transparency and for some of us (admins/coders who tend to work remotely) that is a killer feature. If I can't have that then I'll have to move to another distro because I require that functionality in order to do my job.

  8. #528
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mystic Ruin
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    I don't have a problem with Unity because it doesn't effect me. What I do have a problem with is fscking Wayland.

    Ubuntu is the most popular free version of *nix. It should at least have some responsibility and care about compatibility with other systems. We don't have time to rewrite every single X11 app in existence. Lack of compatibility between OSes is what causes them to fail and make developers cry to sleep each night.
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17303...er_for_wayland

    ""... You won't need to give up X-based applications though to use Wayland. Shuttleworth also said, "We're confident we'll be able to retain the ability to run X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that needs to reset the world of desktop free software. Nor is it a transition everyone needs to make at the same time: for the same reason we'll keep investing in the 2D experience on Ubuntu despite also believing that Unity, with all its GL dependencies, is the best interface for the desktop. We'll help GNOME and KDE with the transition, there's no reason for them not to be there on day one either." ...""

    Quote Originally Posted by slackthumbz View Post
    Wayland doesn't have X's network transparency and for some of us (admins/coders who tend to work remotely) that is a killer feature. If I can't have that then I'll have to move to another distro because I require that functionality in order to do my job.
    ""... Someone going by the name Simon wrote on Shuttleworth's blog: "I understand network transparency isn't used by everyone - however, for some of us it's critical functionality. In my office, being able to ssh into a server or someone else's desktop to run development tools (e.g. a gtk-based code-review tool) is vital, and losing that ability *would* be a showstopper as far as Ubuntu desktops are concerned." Another writer on the blog, Diego, replied, "network transparency is beyond the scope of Wayland. You are completely free to implement wayland clients that use network protocols (not just X11: VNC, RDP, Spice…). In fact, it will possible to run X.org as a Wayland client. So, you will be able to run remote X11 apps on Wayland servers." ...""
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

  9. #529
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    1,202

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Anything new will do.I would love to see a truly new system. something i would have to learn .windows old and boring gnome xfce kde been there done that.There use to be release party's for the next Ubuntu system. now i couldn't see much different between 10.04 or 10.10.hope is Unity doesn't let me down.

  10. #530
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Beans
    0
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Do you want Unity by default?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/17303...er_for_wayland

    ""... You won't need to give up X-based applications though to use Wayland. Shuttleworth also said, "We're confident we'll be able to retain the ability to run X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that needs to reset the world of desktop free software. Nor is it a transition everyone needs to make at the same time: for the same reason we'll keep investing in the 2D experience on Ubuntu despite also believing that Unity, with all its GL dependencies, is the best interface for the desktop. We'll help GNOME and KDE with the transition, there's no reason for them not to be there on day one either." ...""



    ""... Someone going by the name Simon wrote on Shuttleworth's blog: "I understand network transparency isn't used by everyone - however, for some of us it's critical functionality. In my office, being able to ssh into a server or someone else's desktop to run development tools (e.g. a gtk-based code-review tool) is vital, and losing that ability *would* be a showstopper as far as Ubuntu desktops are concerned." Another writer on the blog, Diego, replied, "network transparency is beyond the scope of Wayland. You are completely free to implement wayland clients that use network protocols (not just X11: VNC, RDP, Spice…). In fact, it will possible to run X.org as a Wayland client. So, you will be able to run remote X11 apps on Wayland servers." ...""
    That is somewhat reassuring, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Page 53 of 569 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •