Page 51 of 569 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Do you want Unity by default?

I'll wait and see.

I really do like the current Gnome 2.x interface, but with Gnome Shell on the way, that interface may not exist much longer. Sure, there will be a fork and/or some form of legacy support, but Gnome will move on and won't focus all of their attention on it anymore.

I look at it this way, Unity cannot possibly be any worse than Gnome Shell. It just can't. It could be nothing but a picture of Hitler that, when you press a certain key combo, it's eyes flash, and it would be better than Gnome Shell...
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I tried netbook version of unity on my desktop and it crashed. But it looks cool, the idea is good. They could make it great in the next 5 months.
    Windows is not user friendly,it's just user familiar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'll reserve judgement until the Desktop version of Unity appears.

I will be testing Natty on my spare hard drive when alpha one shows up.

Due 2010/12/02.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Personally. I have nothing against Unity. Its nice to have Ubuntu having a new look and feel...

kaldor Re: Do you want Unity by default?
    Yes. Let Ubuntu be different for **** sake!

If everyone uses the same DE it's boring. Fedora = Ubuntu = OpenSuSE = Arch = Debian unless you dig.
    I agree ^_^

What I dont want is for Unity to be default.
    At least have a choice.
    I think Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition in Unity while the Desktop edition is not?

Something like that maybe.

Wrt to wayland... can someone point me to where wayland was involved in? I know its 2 year old while x.org is ... 25+ or so... But what i heard, even though wayland is still green, they have a good modern approach which deserves a chance...
    idk... if anything and I dont like it, I may just stay with 10.10 until things changes...
    Custom PC | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit | faildows, but it works.
    Dell Studio 1535 | Ubuntu 10.10 | Beholding its complete Awesome
    ness!
    Nokia N900 | Maemo 5 | shtBerries? iWhat? bsodPhone7? Eric's Son? moo?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why not let me choose to enable unity as an option during install?

Beans

Too soon to tell, it's like asking if I want the diner for December 14.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    I don't have a problem with Unity because it doesn't effect me. What I do have a problem with is fscking Wayland.

Ubuntu is the most popular free version of *nix. It should at least have some responsibility and care about compatibility with other systems. We don't have time to rewrite every single X11 app in existence. Lack of compatibility between OSes is what causes them to fail and make developers cry to sleep each night.
    My understanding, and I am no expert here so I could be wrong, is that many applications will be rewritten anyway for the MeeGo (which uses Wayland or going to) to run on netbooks and mobile phones supporting it. Plus, what's wrong with having a FLAWLESS smooth visual experience for once on a Linux system. I think this decision was right on the money, and it's about time to retire X11.

As for Unity, it's too early to tell, but it seems to be an improvement if they made it to work w/ Compiz. I was really kind of shocked when the Gnome project ditched Compiz (in favor of mutter) for the development of Gnome shell. What Canonical seems to be doing makes more sense IMHO.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu shift away from Gnome - I don't get the problem

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    We already have dozens of distros running gnome. A distro with it's own distinguished shell would be a breath of a fresh air.
    Here Here!

I believe that having the same interface is holding ubuntu back because there is always "another" distro with similar features you can jump too. I believe the same with the other distros. Similarity is stagnation.

Ubuntu nor the other distros will ever make it big if they are all the same. The current situation in linux land is like car makers today. There was alot of companies, but they all made a truck a SUV and family van, and family car, and a fast sexy car. But they are all the same basically, just different colors and a different number of cup holder.

I say "bring on the Delorean!"

We need disruption in linux world. We need risk takers!

Ubuntu can be our Delorean! Willing to change how we look at cars!

Hopefully nay sayers won't fear the change and try to kill it like the real Delorean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I voted unsure/wait and see.

I tried Unity on my netbook and couldn't get along with it and reverted to the standard gnome desktop. I'm hoping (and reasonably confident) the desktop version released with Natty will be somewhat different. Plus, with Wayland getting involved in the next year or two strange things are certainly afoot at the Circle K.

I'm finding it all quite exciting really.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Page 51 of 569 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast