Page 503 of 569 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Unity MEGA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    No I hate it because many options are removed and many tasks take many more clicks. Also on our library public machines I need evereything to be easily visable and can't have min max etc buttons and menus that you have to screw around to find.
    The global menu can be removed with one simple command
    sudo apt-get remove indicator-appmenu
    Reboot after that the max/min buttons return to the application windows like it was.This is the first thing I do when I install Ubuntu.

If you like point and click the gnome2 way you can simply install a classic menu, you even have two choices.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-c...assicmenu.html

If you want the tray icons back, install dconf-tools, invoke the dconf-editor with alt+f2 (or use the classic menu thingy if you prefer) the command is simply "dconf-editor" (without quotes), go to desktop > Unity > panel and change the systray whitlist to ['all'] (with the brackets and quotations)

Now you can even move the Unity launcher bar to the bottom
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-t...bottom-of.html

So all your problems are solved.

Now in 11.10 a lot of options are removed but that is the fault of gnome3, not Unity. Actually Canonical seems to have restore some of those features. You don't find them in Fedora's version of gnome shell (not without more work anyway)
    Last edited by beew; November 4th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mpiter View Post
    People can try to reassure themselves with the "afraid of changes" argument, it might explain a few things but not the tenth of what we have seen. Do not confuse change and regression.
    No, that is not an argument, just an observation. I used to hate people using that as an argument too (and still do) Certainly I would not classify everyone who has a problem with the new UI as such, but lately the complaints are getting ridiculous, I feel a difference in tone and substance in the recent wave of complaints comparing to those in the early days of 11.04.

In those days many criticisms were well thought out and were made by people who had actually used Unity for a period of time and decided that some of their needs were not met (now many of those complaints have been addressed, if by third party developers instead of Canonical)

Now you have many people who have not used Unity at any length and just complain, and complain hysterically because well.. they don't like a change of interface,--and that is basically all they tell you. So you have people stampeding to xfce and LXDE even though those DE are actually vastly inferior to Unity in terms of ease of use and configurability.--try something as simple as cutting and pasting into the desktop or hiding unused launcher icons in xfce, for example. The only reason they switch is because of the familiar windows 95-ish look.
    Last edited by beew; November 4th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@cmcanulty, when you use a Gnome 3 based distribution, you still have the option of using the gnome classic interface, it isn't as customizable as the Gnome 2 version yet, but if the people trying to fork the gnome 2 interface were to put their efforts in making the gnome classic interface better instead, it wouldn't take long to bring it up to the same standards as the older 2 panel interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    @cmcanulty, when you use a Gnome 3 based distribution, you still have the option of using the gnome classic interface, it isn't as customizable as the Gnome 2 version yet, but if the people trying to fork the gnome 2 interface were to put their efforts in making the gnome classic interface better instead, it wouldn't take long to bring it up to the same standards as the older 2 panel interface.
    I have no crystal balls at hand, but I think that it is exactly what is going to happen with Gnome 3: The possibility to recreate an improved gnome 2 interface written with the Gnome 3 libraries, leaving choice between gnome-shell or something based on Gnome 2 design. Future will tell.

Beans

Explain to us all the speed and improved use if any with UNITY ..... from the older methods

I just recently swapped across to MINT 11 ...... to see why so many others had done this.

and only an hour of being there it felt like home .......

Why this should be important .......

I know where my slippers are ..... my newspaper is there where I left it ....... my glass is still on the table where I can see it .......

What I hear you ask as this to do with UNITY

Well UNITY ..... hid some of my things ..... so now I have to search for everything .......
    I had a energy drink on the table to quick start things .... if I felt like running them

__________________________________________________ _________

1 ..... lets start with some simple but useful things ...... CONKY .....

I want it but not all of the time ......

So ..... I have a launcher on the desktop for it .... plus others ..... its not that I cannot do this in UNITY ....... its just that it is not as easy as before.

let me explain .......

Old way ........ create a launcher right click on the desktop ..... and create it .....

New way ........ I will let you explain this one ?

2 ..... Docks ..... I actually prefer Cairo-Dock ...... but others may like another dock.

So what is the point in having a second dock ..... I hear you ask ......

and I would say none ..... if the first dock UNITY was anywhere near as customizable as the
    one I prefer to use ......

and if UNITY is not a dock .... why do my friends look and say hey why two docks
    ... (UNITY does not do everything that I need from a single dock - things like move to a better place for my setup .....)

So allow for sub docks to UNITY .... that way you do not upset the master UNITY ...... as he still has control.

3 ..... Switching tasks ....... Alt + Tab ....... ring switcher is the closest I have seen to some form of quick switching the current tasks ...... but it is no way as easy as going into gnome
    shell and choosing the one you need or the panel and picking the one to activate (..... mouse only ....)

4 .... Dual Screen ...... for UNITY ....... nope ..... it is not even close to a solution .....

and before anyone says you can switch this on that off ......etc ......

When I use Gnome Shell Cairo Dock - I do not ........ so why is UNITY the one that causes me to have to
    start re-designing the desktop to suit it ........ or add yet another dock to a dock ?

Global Menus ...... Dual screen ...... how many people have found a advantage here ?

Dock on the left ..... Dual screen ....... just got to love working on the second monitor on the
    right ..... lets go pick a task ..... oh its so far away ..... no problem until the

n th time .....

at least after 6 months or more someone has come up with a way to put it on the bottom now ......... wow ....... maybe in a years time it will be on the top too ..... or maybe not ... reasoning ... android and phones ....

5 ..... Am I bothered about change ........... NO .......

seen so many - and the term you are scared of change ...... just means nothing as the words are TROLLISH ....... trying to catch a fish ......

Oh yes I have never been scared of anything my whole life ...... WOAH UNITY ....

shaking in my boots ...... what is this - SQUARE ICONS on the left .....

Change wow .... never seen anything quite as scary ..... now what ...

Leave it as it is ..... people will come to love it .....

Four thousand five hundred and seventy eight ....... nobody is listening ..... go look on distro watch ... last seven days
    those figures are saying something loud and clear .....

Its not to do with UNITY .... it is more to do with the attitude ..... as most Desktop Environments are here ...

if we look for them ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; November 4th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree eventually gnome 3 will be as good or better than gnome 2 but as of now it is terrible

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    The global menu can be removed with one simple command Reboot after that the max/min buttons return to the application windows like it was.This is the first thing I do when I install Ubuntu.
    ...Additional modifications snipped...

These things may work for now, but since they aren't official supported they could break with any update. That doesn't seem very safe to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    I agree eventually gnome 3 will be as good or better than gnome 2 but as of now it is terrible
    It's just crazy how people can have such very different opinions. I skipped 11.04 and stayed on 10.10 as I felt Unity was too immature. Then went to 11.10 and struggled along with Unity until I tried gnome-shell and immediately found it quite good. I'd been hesitant to even try gnome-shell as I had Linus Torvalds "unholy mess" comment about gnome3 ringing about my head. But I think the gnome3 guys have produced a cleaner and more thought out design in gnome-shell. I find Unity is compromised and confused in comparison. Gnome-shell still needs work but the foundations are excellent and it is already good enough for full time productive use.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Now you have many people who have not used Unity at any length and just complain, and complain hysterically because well.. they don't like a change of interface,--and that is basically all they tell you. So you have people stampeding to xfce and LXDE even though those DE are actually vastly inferior to Unity in terms of ease of use and configurability.--try something as simple as cutting and pasting into the desktop or hiding unused launcher icons in xfce, for example. The only reason they switch is because of the familiar windows 95-ish look.
    I agree with you that in these cases, this is not a great behavior.

On the other hand, for people who just use their computer as a tool that needs to work without effort, having just a button "Upgrade" that changes your default desktop to something very different that what had been supported for years MUST lead to these types of reaction from a non-negligible part of the users. After supporting Gnome for such a long time, Canonical should have replaced the usual upgrade button by a new procedure with a huge warning about the Unity arrival as the new default. I think that Canonical was careless on that topic at best, dishonest at worst. I understand that people are still pissed off because it is ONLY AFTER crashing your settings that you will find how to go back to something that you like. What a waste of time for the users which can lead to such anger.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    It's just crazy how people can have such very different opinions. I skipped 11.04 and stayed on 10.10 as I felt Unity was too immature. Then went to 11.10 and struggled along with Unity until I tried gnome-shell and immediately found it quite good. I'd been hesitant to even try gnome-shell as I had Linus Torvalds "unholy mess" comment about gnome3 ringing about my head. But I think the gnome3 guys have produced a cleaner and more thought out design in gnome-shell. I find Unity is compromised and confused in comparison. Gnome-shell still needs work but the foundations are excellent and it is already good enough for full time productive use.
    That is my exact feeling. I will soon replace my Gnome 2.32 + Compiz by gnome-shell to try it for a while. I think that the basic design to handle multiple workspaces containing multiple windows is particularly clever. I have not tried it for more than a few hours because I have too much work right not to take more time on it, but I am impatient to delve it deeper.

Page 503 of 569 FirstFirst ... 3403453493501502503504505513553 ... LastLast