Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by symon1980 View Post
    I have given my critical review of Unity here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upVWR0SEB-8&feature=sub
    I agree with a lot of your points there (and I think Unity has been rushed), but I think you might have done better reviewing that on a netbook :/
    Unity is specifically tuned to small netbook screens and use cases. It is simply Not The Same on a desktop computer.

At any rate, you can add a running application to the launcher bar by right clicking it and choosing “Keep on launcher.” (Curiously, it looks like you have done that at least once… maybe by accident; I think it may do the same thing implicitly if you rearrange items there)
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; October 10th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Unity reminds me of Gnome Shell: Slow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've been using Unity since it was first released back in May, I've seen quite a few improvements since then, and in the last week or so using the daily builds, there has been a noticable speed up.

As far as customization goes, I got rid of the application launchers that I don't use from the panel and added ones for the applications I most use. I also have a custom wallpaper for grub and gdm, as well as the desktop.

I've tried a couple of themes created specifically for Unity, but I always seems to gravitate back to Ambiance.

Beans

I just registred for the forum for the first time to tell how much i dislike Unity.

It is slow, messy, cluttered, complicated, too smart for its' own good, unelegant, and not to my liking at all.

I want the old netbook interface back, or at least have the option to use it.

Unfortunately, all I have managed to do is switch to the "2D edition" - which has a nasty Arial-like big font, that I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust, and also differs in many other ways. Did they put that nasty font in there on purpose, to dissuade users from reverting? Seems like the sort of decision Bill Gates would make, if it is the case.

What to do?

For now, I am sticking with the default Gnome interface for desktops.
    Last edited by Ozzy565; October 10th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

Uninstall unity and unstall this ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:netbook-remix-team/ppa

and finaly

sudo apt-get install netbook-launcher

Old launcher is back. Good bye unity write when you get your act together.

Beans

Get my act together? I think my opinions about Unity are quite rational, and they seem to be shared by many others. If I thought it even had a future, when the bugs are removed, I would have said so. Unfortunately I think Unity is going down the wrong path in every way.

The netbook interface was good because it had large icons and was simple. Perfect for a small screen. Unity is so far from it, with its clutter of annoying tiny icons and "smart" functions.

Sometimes the simple things are the best.

If Unity was anything good from the start, it would have been simpler than the old interface. It is not, it is more complicated, and unintuituve on top of it. They could have added options and intelligent functionality to the already existing netbook interface, in an intuitive manner, instead. Mac OS X has good intelligent search, but does not fill up the whole screen with it or push it on you when you do not want it.

Netbooks have limited screen size. Unity should have capitalized on this, and simplicity, instead of filling up the screen with "smart" options and increasing the amount of steps needed to do something.

I think Unity will be discontinued quite soon. They are going to receive a torrent of complaints. It is to Ubuntu what Vista was to Windows.

Thank you for the instructions. The repository does not seem to work, however:
    "Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/netbook-rem...64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found"
    Last edited by Ozzy565; October 11th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree why bother?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy565 View Post
    Unfortunately, all I have managed to do is switch to the "2D edition" - which has a nasty Arial-like big font, that I cannot seem to figure out how to adjust, and also differs in many other ways. Did they put that nasty font in there on purpose, to dissuade users from reverting? Seems like the sort of decision Bill Gates would make, if it is the case.
    Whoa! What a pathetic cheap shot, trying to imply that because there isn't an option you would want the devs must be taking cue from Bill Gates (giving away 50 billion US$ to the world sure is a bad thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy565 View Post
    Get my act together? I think my opinions about Unity are quite rational, and they seem to be shared by many others. If I thought it even had a future, when the bugs are removed, I would have said so. Unfortunately I think Unity is going down the wrong path in every way.
    He was referring to Unity not you but if you continue to try and demonize the devs because they have a hard-coded value in the old netbook-launcher then you can surely take it as if it was directed at you and "get you act together".
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Unity will not fail, as KDE4 did not. It is built on a lot of emerging Gnome 3 technologies that will evolve with it.

Do not blame what some OEM does and consider that "Vista". Installing from a CD (and driver hunting yourself) always gets better results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I should really give it *docky* a go and see how it compares to AWN
    It doesn't compare. lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Page 4 of 569 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast