Page 13 of 569 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GNOME vs. Unity

Ubuntu is already Gnubuntu. It just offers a different SHELL. Which means it's easy to remove and/or replace.

Beans

Unhappy Unity has a long way to go

i like the idea, but unity needs a little work. my experience is from ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition stable off of a live cd.
    first, why can't i store files or folders on the desktop? second, why won't compiz work? third, why can't i peramantly attach a google chrome shortcut to the dock?

Beans

From my point of view it makes perfect sense to move to unity. For one, since most modern screens/monitors now are wider and smaller from top to bottom, Unity takes advantage of those features by utilizing the width to its advantage. Giving the user more screen space from top to bottom. Second, from what i have read, gnome-shell is not compatible with compiz. I my self love compiz, it is an awesome tool to pretend you are doing work on your comp. Also, i'm willing to support the move to unity and help out finding any bugs possible. From my point of view, unity will be one of the key features that will truly define the Ubuntu Desktop/laptop experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu has a choice: Switch to Gnome Shell, which most people don't like, or create a new shell that they might like more.

Sticking with Gnome 2 is not a long-term option.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ask me about Unity

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    So, when Unity becomes the default will we be able to remove it and go back to the standard GNOME desktop, because frankly Unity sucks. I have ditched 10.10 UNR in favour of 10.04, just because of my dislike of Unity.
    Dude, I'm not a fan of Unity, but if you use the standard Gnome desktop on your netbook, switch to 10.10 and use the standard Gnome on that.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

i say give unity time.

i'm using netbook 11.04 & unity seems much faster, also noticed some new right click menus on the icons.
    i'm sure there'll be more changes to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Gnome all teh way!!!!!
    Laptop:
    Core i3
    4GB DDR3
    500GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu shift away from Gnome - I don't get the problem

I reserve my judgment on the end result. I think there is a lot of work to be done before the final release and who knows it might turn out to be a gem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ubunterooster View Post
    No worries are needed, I am sure there will be a Gnomebuntu
    Gnomebuntu sounds good perhaps better than unitybuntu
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu shift away from Gnome - I don't get the problem

I think, Unity should be included somehow in the CD. I don't think the available ISO should be bigger than 700 MB. CDs, I believe, are more solid when you want to read them in the ROMs. So, CD is better.

What Canonical can do is release the Unity as the DE after working thoroughly on it, so that it can maintain the speed of Gnome (we still want a 700MHz CPU with 256 MB RAM to be able to run Ubuntu).

As for the looks, people who prefer Gnome, can get a prompt after the OS is installed, asking them whether they want to go for Gnome. However, if they want to stay with Unity for some time and then decide, the prompt can sit minimized in the taskbar until the user decides.

Now, KDE and other DEs don't need to be included in the initial package. You have KUBUNTU, XUBUNTU and EDUBUNTU for that. All are open for you to download and install. Or you can always download a DE and use it in your current installation.

So, remove the fear of people who are afraid. We don't want to be confined in the past !!! We are the Ubuntu People !!!!!

Page 13 of 569 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast