Page 102 of 569 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 5681

Thread: Unity MEGA Thread

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What happens with Gnome after Ubuntu v 11

As has been said over and over in other threads, Gnome is still there and is not going away. The only thing that is changing is the default GUI shell that sits on top of Gnome, and then only if your graphics processor can run it. You will still have the option of running the classic Gnome desktop and will be able to select it from the login screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hnarwan View Post
    Hi All,

I've been happily using Ubuntu 10.10 as my primary system for a few months now and i'm very happy with it.

I know it's a little early to say, given I havent even tried Unity yet but I really dont like the look of it and the simplicity of Gnome, both in the way it looks and the way it feels has been a major plus for me in the switch from Windows to Linux.

I do want to stay on the latest ubuntu version but will Gnome not be available moving forward?

I dont know if gnome will be available, whether future versions of gnome will be available or if they are whether they will be buggy in terms of compatiblity with Ubuntu > v. 11 but that is going to be an issue for me.

I really wouldnt like to go through the hassle of switching to another distro but unless Unity is a whole lot better than gnome or if gnome isnt a viable option moving forward that may happen for me.

Would appreciate any information or comments others have on this.

thanks
    Hardeep
    How to switch to GNOME (classic): At login right side at bottom set to CLASSICAL UBUNTU DESKTOP... Unity itself sucks...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGLSecond View Post
    How to switch to GNOME (classic): At login right side at bottom set to CLASSICAL UBUNTU DESKTOP... Unity itself sucks...
    But by April 2011 it may not suck any more!

Don't forget it is all still an alpha version, so to start saying it is useless is a bit premature. Wait till it comes out in final version and try it; if you don't like it use classic gnome.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    But by April 2011 it may not suck any more!

Don't forget it is all still an alpha version, so to start saying it is useless is a bit premature. Wait till it comes out in final version and try it; if you don't like it use classic gnome.
    It isn't necessarily premature. By following Unity's development and reading on future plans for it, you can certainly extrapolate from there whether or not it is like to meet your needs. So far, everything I have seen only reinforces my initial negative opinion. There more and longer I test it, the more I hate using it.

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by qamelian; December 31st, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Accidental double post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

move to recurring

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    It isn't necessarily premature. By following Unity's development and reading on future plans for it, you can certainly extrapolate from there whether or not it is like to meet your needs. So far, everything I have seen only reinforces my initial negative opinion. There more and longer I test it, the more I hate using it.
    Although I agree its not for everyone, So far I am liking Unity and the path its going down. I have high hopes for the final product.

Also most non Linux users I have shown it too seem to really enjoy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    It isn't necessarily premature. By following Unity's development and reading on future plans for it, you can certainly extrapolate from there whether or not it is like to meet your needs. So far, everything I have seen only reinforces my initial negative opinion. The more and longer I test it, the more I hate using it.
    I feel the same about GNOME Shell

Opinions aside, here are the facts:
    1. GNOME will still be in 11.04 and later, the only part that won't be by default* is the GNOME Panel UI.
    2. The GNOME Panel UI will be available optionally, by choosing it at the log in screen
    3. In the long run, the GNOME Panel UI will be discontinued in favor of GNOME Shell, this change is due to GNOME, not Ubuntu.
    4. GNOME Shell will not be available as a package in 11.04**, though you should still be able to build it from source

*as long as your 3d hardware supports it
    ** as of this writing
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    I feel the same about GNOME Shell
    Yeah, I know, but that's okay. We're each entitled to our personal likes.

Opinions aside, here are the facts:
    1. GNOME will still be in 11.04 and later, the only part that won't be by default* is the GNOME Panel UI.
    2. The GNOME Panel UI will be available optionally, by choosing it at the log in screen
    3. In the long run, the GNOME Panel UI will be discontinued in favor of GNOME Shell, this change is due to GNOME, not Ubuntu.
    4. GNOME Shell will not be available as a package in 11.04**, though you should still be able to build it from source

*as long as your 3d hardware supports it
    ** as of this writing
    Unfortunately, for reasons I have covered elsewhere, default or not, Unity will not be used by any of my clients because it violates some core requirements we hashed out when I first proposed migrating them to Linux in general, and Ubuntu in specific. I'll continue testing it personally for a while longer, but it has no place in the offices of my clients.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweakedenigma View Post
    Although I agree its not for everyone, So far I am liking Unity and the path its going down. I have high hopes for the final product.

Also most non Linux users I have shown it too seem to really enjoy it.
    NON LINUX users(who usually like cool things)... Almost all Linux veterans(as I read on Internet) don't like Unity... btw. you can switch to classic old good GNOME when you want, or you can use Unity... YOur choice...

Page 102 of 569 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast