Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows
    However, in the real world the performance difference isn't huge.
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
    Also Google search on xp - ahci after install
    I search the Internet too which at first it sounded like a possible solution except for one thing, my AHCI drivers are by ATI which like everything else AMD dose, its hard to back-door their drivers.
    A day without Learning something New is a day wasted, and yes Old Dogs can learn new Tricks.

Beans

Re: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

The same problem here. I have installed Windows XP with IDE mode. After installing new Ubuntu 10.10, grub2 is not working, displaying "Unknown filesystem" and going to rescue console.
    When I change IDE mode to AHCI in BIOS, grub is working and I am able to boot Ubuntu, but not XP, it goes to bluescreen during boot (unless AHCI drivers are installed, i presume).

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I think we are back to what quacker's originally thought ( and i assumed it was new so it did not apply) of the 137GB BIOS limit on old computers.
    If you install either a separate small boot partition or the full system partition within the limit then there is no issue. Many of us just install a small windows system partition and a small Ubuntu system / partition and keep data in shared NTFS for windows data and either /home or a separate /data.
    I have 500GB SATA disk:
    1. partition - 64GiB - Win XP
    2. partition - 64GiB - Ubuntu
    3. partition - 32GiB - empty (reserved for other OS)
    4. partition - logical

So I don't think that this problem is about 137GB limit, because both WinXP and Ubuntu partitions fits into this 137GB limit (accurately). Don't know why grub2 is not able to work with IDE mode.

System: MB Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3, AMD Phenom II X4, 2GB RAM, 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
    Last edited by Zyzzy; March 1st, 2011 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzy View Post
    The same problem here. I have nstalled Windows XP with IDE mode. After installing new Ubuntu 10.10, grub2 is not working, displaying "Unknown filesystem" and going to rescue console.
    When I change IDE mode to AHCI in BIOS, grub is working and I am able to boot Ubuntu, but not XP, it goes to bluescreen during boot (unless AHCI drivers are installed, i presume).

I have 500GB SATA disk:
    First, if you are get an Unknown filesystem error then you might be having another problem because the error I'm getting is "error: no such partition", although setting SATA to AHCI in the BIOS resolves both errors so the same solution may fix both our problems. (Please post back here if you find a solution to your problem) and I will keep this Thread update with all my findings. It might help to document your Build specs i.e. MB, CPU, HDD, Partitions size and type, and OS(s) unless you have it documented in another post, the at least put a link to that post in this post and I'll update your post with my finding.

I'm still working on this issue. I have 2 1TB SATA Seagate HDD cleared off, 1 Formatted as an Extended Partition and the other as a Primary Partition. Also a 80 GB FUJITSU MHV2080BH PL ATA Drive in an external SATA Dock connected to my Desktop (Looks like a internal drive to the BIOS) which I plan on testing with formatted first as an Extended Partition partition and if that doesn't work I will format it as a Primary partition try that. I planing on spending as much time as I can over the next few days to get to the bottom of what is causing this issue.

Like I said earlier:
    1. If you install Grub with SATA set to IDE mode in the BIOS and everything installs with no complaints/warnings from the installer about SATA being set to IDE mode, then why wont Grub boot up with SATA set to IDE mode in the BIOS????

2. Why do I have to change the SATA setting in the BIOS to AHIC after install in order for Grub to see the Logical partitions so Grub can boot, while at the same time causing Windows NOT to boot????

3. Am I the only person that has Windows installed in primary partitions and Ubuntu installed in a Logical partitions with SATA set to IDE during the Windows OS's installation so I can't install & boot Grub without reinstalling the Windows OS's????
    I've also written Gigabyte (the MFG of my MB, which is a GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 3.3) released mid 2010 I think but I've not heard back from them yet.
    A day without Learning something New is a day wasted, and yes Old Dogs can learn new Tricks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Zyzzy also NOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by John4582 View Post
    I do have different settings for different sets of ports but XP, Win7, Data, and Ubuntu are all on the same drive and I don't want to use another 1TB drive just because Grub2 needs SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.

If there's no other solution I guess I will have to find another Linux system that doesn't use Grub2. I deleted the Ubuntu partitions about a hour ago and reinstalled it without booting to the Try Ubuntu frist and after it finished a lot of IO errors scrolled on the screen and Grub still wont boot without SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.????
    Note the last sentence above.
    I deleted the Ubuntu partitions about a hour ago and reinstalled it without booting to the Try Ubuntu frist and after it finished a lot of IO errors scrolled on the screen and Grub still wont boot without SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.????
    This leads me to believe something in the Gurb2 is not being setup/defined right/correctly, I could be wrong since we are both using Gigabyte MB's . Also I should clarify that the error scrolled after clicking restart and not during the install. No errors if installing while in the Try Ubuntu then clicking restart after install.
    Last edited by John4582; March 1st, 2011 at 05:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by John4582 View Post
    First, if you are get an Unknown filesystem error then you might be having another problem because the error I'm getting is "error: no such partition", although setting SATA to AHCI in the BIOS resolves both errors so the same solution may fix both our problems. (Please post back here if you find a solution to your problem)
    Of course, if I know the solution, I will write here. But I can't give it much time now... For now, I'm working in Win XP after fixing MBR with WinXP CD.

Yes, solution may be the same. Although errors are different, symptoms are very similar. With my previous post, I just want to tell it doesn't seem to me that the problem is caused by 137GB limit.

I have tried to install Ubuntu only after booting from LiveCD->Try Ubuntu first. No errors, everything looks to be OK. When it doesn't work, I reinslalled choosing the destination for grub to sda2 (my ext4 partition with Ububtu), but no change... Boot Info Script gives me this "error" - the same as yours in first post:
    "Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda2 and looks at sector ... of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at this location."

In rescue console, ls command also produces this output:
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos3)

I planing on spending as much time as I can over the next few days to get to the bottom of what is causing this issue.
    I am not Linux guru, so you will be my "Hero of the day" if you can solve this issue

Beans

Maybe, changing Access mode from Auto to Large on IDE disk in BIOS is the key... ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Results of first test:

After install Results:
    Press the F12 key to access BIOS boot device and selected -> + Hard Drive -> 80GB drive Ubuntu is installed on.
    Grub2 booted -> Selected Ubuntu and Ubuntu booted up no problems identified.
    Rebooted without applying update via Update Manager.
    Press the F12 key to access BIOS boot device and selected -> + Hard Drive -> 80GB
    Grub2 booted -> Selected Windows 7 -> Windows 7 -> Win7 booted up up no problems identified.
    Rebooted
    Press the F12 key to access BIOS boot device and selected -> + Hard Drive -> 80GB drive Ubuntu is installed on.
    Grub2 booted -> Selected Windows 7 -> Windows 7 -> Earlier Vision Of Windows -> Windows XP Media Center 2005
    Note: System beeped and rebooted (Not sure what the problems is – ignored).
    Rebooted
    Let the BIOS default HDD with XP/Win7old/Win7D/Data
    Selected Windows 7 booted up no problems identified.
    Rebooted
    Let the BIOS default HDD with XP/Win7old/Win7D/Data
    Selected Windows 7 -> Earlier Vision Of Windows -> Windows XP Media Center 2005 booted up no problems identified.
    Rebooted
    Grub2 booted -> Selected Ubuntu and Ubuntu booted up no problems identified.
    Applied update via Ubuntu Update Manager.
    Rebooted
    Grub2 booted -> Selected Windows 7 -> Windows 7 -> Win7 booted up up no problems Identified.
    Note: Let the BIOS default to default HDD with XP/Win7old/Win7D/Data everything boots as if Ubuntu is not installed. Also Windows XP Media Center 2005 will not boot via Grub2 (ignored - doesn't matter for testing - I'm sure it could be fix if needed for testing all the the install scenarios).

Following Code sections are for information/documentation only:
    Code:
    After booting into Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and before doing anything.
    Information from Ubuntu Try boot without Ubuntu installed on any drive
    All drives SATA except sda which is 80 GB unallocated PL ATA mounted in  an external SATA dock (BIOS set to LBA also this is the only drive BIOS  allowed to be set to LBA).
    **********************************************************************************
    !!!!!!!!!!!!NOTE:                                                                                     *
    sda is the ONLY drive seen by GParted upon booting into Live CD  *
    !!!!!!!!End NOTE:                                                                                  *
    **********************************************************************************
    Why was GParted only able to see sda which is sitting in an external  SATA dock connected via SATA cable to back of desktop to the MB IO SATA  port and the only unallocated drive in system.

Information about drives from boot_info_script055 Follows with some in-line note where indicated for additional information.

EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE WAS ADDED FOR INFORMATION ALSO NOTES IN BOLD  TEXT REFER TO THAT SECTION ONLY ADD BY ME AND IS NOT PART OF THE  boot_info_script055 OUTPUT.
    =========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ _____________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot         Start           End          Size  Id System

Drive: sdb ___________________ _____________________________________________________
    Note: Added OS to end of each line.

Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2907021 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

/dev/sdb1    *             63   209,718,431   209,718,369   7 HPFS/NTFS XP
    /dev/sdb2         209,718,432   419,437,871   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS Win7Old
    /dev/sdb3         419,740,272   629,459,711   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS Win7D
    /dev/sdb4         629,459,712 2,930,277,167 2,300,817,456   7 HPFS/NTFS Data

Drive: sdc ___________________ _____________________________________________________
    Note: Formatted just to see what the boot_info_script055 will see.
          Also this drive need to be ran through Testdisk and changed to 16  heads, 63 sectors/track, ????? cylinders. The 255 heads, 63  sectors/track, 121601 cylinders is due to a previos clone of what is now  known as "sdd" and originally looked like what is now known as "sdb"
           Plan on testing install before Heads, Sectors, & Cylinders (HSC) are changed.
    *****************************************************************************************************************************

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors

/dev/sdc1                  63 1,953,520,064 1,953,520,002   7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sdd ___________________ _____________________________________________________
    Note: Formatted just to see what the boot_info_script055 will see.
          Also this drive need to be ran through Testdisk and changed to 16  heads, 63 sectors/track, ????? cylinders. The 255 heads, 63  sectors/track, 121601 cylinders is due to a previos clone of an older  250GB SATA HDD and originally looked like what is now known as "sdb"
           Plan on testing install before Heads, Sectors, & Cylinders (HSC) are changed.
    *****************************************************************************************************************************

Disk /dev/sdd: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes

/dev/sdd1              16,065 1,953,520,064 1,953,504,000   f W95 Ext d (LBA)
    /dev/sdd5              16,128 1,953,520,064 1,953,503,937   7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sde ___________________ _____________________________________________________
    Note: 2GB USB Flash Stick only used by Windows OS's not used in any Ubuntu install test.

Disk /dev/sde: 2021 MB, 2021654016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 245 cylinders, total 3948543 sectors

/dev/sde1    *             63     3,948,542     3,948,480   6 FAT16

blkid -c /dev/null: ____________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL                         

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs                                 
    /dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sdb1        6664413B64410F6D                       ntfs       HP_PAVILION                   
    /dev/sdb2        01CBCEB6C382A580                       ntfs       Win7Old                       
    /dev/sdb3        01CBD7121ECFD030                       ntfs       Win7                          
    /dev/sdb4        0478C00D78BFFF82                       ntfs       Data                          
    /dev/sdb: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sdc1        01CBD6EE55392500                       ntfs                                     
    /dev/sdc: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sdd1: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sdd5        01CBD6EE2B2F6D00                       ntfs                                     
    /dev/sdd: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sde1        0000-017F                              vfat                                     
    /dev/sde: PTTYPE="dos" 

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev  output: ===========================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

aufs             /                        aufs       (rw)
    /dev/sr0         /cdrom                   iso9660    (ro,noatime)
    /dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sdb4        /media/Data              fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
    Code:
    First boot After Installing Ubuntu 10.10

Questions????
    Why was GParted only able to see sda which is setting in an external  SATA dock connected via SATA cable to back of desktop to the MB IO SATA  port which was the only unallocated drive in system.

Although the Ubuntu install see all the drives Why did the Ubuntu  install also identify the 80GB drive sitting in an external SATA dock  connected via SATA cable to back of desktop to the MB IO SATA port as  "sda"

EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE WAS ADDED FOR INFOMATION ALSO NOTES IN BOLD  TEXT REFER TO THAT SECTION ONLY ADD BY ME AND IS NOT PART OF THE  boot_info_script055 OUTPUT.
    ***************************************************************************************************************
                    Boot Info Script 0.55    dated February 15th, 2010                    

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in 
        partition #5 for (,msdos5)/boot/grub.
     => Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb
     => Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdd
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sde

sda1: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  

sda5: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 10.10
        Boot files/dirs:   /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda2: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sda3: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info:  

sdb1: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows XP
        Boot files/dirs:   /boot.ini /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sdb2: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files/dirs:   /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sdb3: _________________________________________________________________________

sdb4: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector type:  Windows XP
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sdc1: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sdd1: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  

sdd5: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sdd5 starts 
                           at sector 63.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sde1: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  Fat16
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

Drive: sda ___________________ _____________________________________________________

/dev/sda1    *          2,046    30,273,535    30,271,490   5 Extended
    /dev/sda5               2,048    30,273,535    30,271,488  83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          30,273,536   137,695,231   107,421,696  83 Linux
    /dev/sda3         137,695,232   156,301,311    18,606,080  82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: sdb ___________________ _____________________________________________________

/dev/sdb1    *             63   209,718,431   209,718,369   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb2         209,718,432   419,437,871   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb3         419,740,272   629,459,711   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb4         629,459,712 2,930,277,167 2,300,817,456   7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sdc ___________________ _____________________________________________________

Drive: sdd ___________________ _____________________________________________________

Drive: sde ___________________ _____________________________________________________

blkid -c /dev/null: ____________________________________________________________

/dev/sda1: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sda2        ab9a6908-5b40-4aa4-97f5-2f392d64a2a2   ext4                                     
    /dev/sda3        60724ef5-ab38-424b-9988-b4deac0067a0   swap                                     
    /dev/sda5        53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac   ext4                                     

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev  output: ===========================

/dev/sda5        /                        ext4       (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
    /dev/sda2        /home                    ext4       (rw,commit=0)
    /dev/sr0         /media/Ubuntu 10.10 i386 iso9660     (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500)
    /dev/sde1        /media/0000-017F         vfat        (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
    /dev/sdb4        /media/Data              fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod vbe
      insmod vga
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=640x480
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae root=UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac ro   quiet splash
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic-pae
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae ...'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae root=UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac ro single 
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux16    /boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux16    /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 6664413b64410f6d
        chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdb2)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos2)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01cbceb6c382a580
        chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdb3)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01cbd7121ecfd030
        chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /home was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=ab9a6908-5b40-4aa4-97f5-2f392d64a2a2 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=60724ef5-ab38-424b-9988-b4deac0067a0 none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

11.0GB: boot/grub/core.img
      13.0GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
       1.0GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic-pae
      11.0GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae
       1.0GB: initrd.img
      11.0GB: vmlinuz

================================ sdb1/boot.ini: ================================

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"  /CMDCONS
    Code:
                    Boot Info Script 0.55    dated  February 15th, 2010                    

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in 
        partition #5 for (,msdos5)/boot/grub.
     => Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb
     => Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdd
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sde

sda1: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  

sda5: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 10.10
        Boot files/dirs:   /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda2: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sda3: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info:  

sdb1: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  Windows XP
        Boot files/dirs:   /boot.ini /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sdb2: _________________________________________________________________________

sdb3: _________________________________________________________________________

sdb4: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sdc1: _________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sdd1: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  

sdd5: _________________________________________________________________________

Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sdd5 starts 
                           at sector 63.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

sde1: _________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  Fat16
        Operating System:  
        Boot files/dirs:   

/dev/sda1    *          2,046    30,273,535    30,271,490   5 Extended
    /dev/sda5               2,048    30,273,535    30,271,488  83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          30,273,536   137,695,231   107,421,696  83 Linux
    /dev/sda3         137,695,232   156,301,311    18,606,080  82 Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sdb1    *             63   209,718,431   209,718,369   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb2         209,718,432   419,437,871   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb3         419,740,272   629,459,711   209,719,440   7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sdb4         629,459,712 2,930,277,167 2,300,817,456   7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda1: PTTYPE="dos" 
    /dev/sda2        ab9a6908-5b40-4aa4-97f5-2f392d64a2a2   ext4                                     
    /dev/sda3        60724ef5-ab38-424b-9988-b4deac0067a0   swap                                     
    /dev/sda5        53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac   ext4                                     

/dev/sda5        /                        ext4       (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
    /dev/sda2        /home                    ext4       (rw,commit=0)
    /dev/sr0         /media/Ubuntu 10.10 i386 iso9660     (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500)
    /dev/sde1        /media/0000-017F         vfat        (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod vbe
      insmod vga
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=640x480
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae root=UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac ro   quiet splash
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.35-27-generic-pae ...'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae root=UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac ro single 
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux16    /boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
        linux16    /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sdb1)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 6664413b64410f6d
        chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdb2)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos2)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01cbceb6c382a580
        chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdb3)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ntfs
        set root='(hd1,msdos3)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 01cbd7121ecfd030
        chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=53319a2b-2497-491c-b2fe-d43f465ba4ac /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /home was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=ab9a6908-5b40-4aa4-97f5-2f392d64a2a2 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=60724ef5-ab38-424b-9988-b4deac0067a0 none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

11.0GB: boot/grub/core.img
      13.0GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
       1.1GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic-pae
      11.0GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic-pae
       1.1GB: initrd.img
      11.0GB: vmlinuz

================================ sdb1/boot.ini: ================================

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /CMDCONS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzy View Post
    Maybe, changing Access mode from Auto to Large on IDE disk in BIOS is the key... ???
    Zyzzy, did you try it? If so what were the results? I will have to check to see if I have the setting "Large", I think (not sure) that after setting SATA to Native IDE the IDE access mode is either Auto or None in my BIOS. If I have the "Large" setting I might try the test next.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Solved Solved Solved Solved

First of all I want to Thank you Oldfred & you Quackers again for all your help and sticking with me.

Turned out to be a BIOS Setting on the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev 3.3) Motherboard after all. How I missed it IDK, I must have check/tried every setting/combination of settings in the BIOS a dozen times, maybe the following will explain how.

Once in the system BIOS:
    Standard BIOS Settings -> [drive you want to change] -> IDE Access -> “Large”, did the trick. (see below)

Special Note:
    MUST be set to "Large" !!!!PRIOR TO INSTALL!!!! - Can be set back to Auto after install, at least on the above motherboard anyway. (don't know why you would want to).

Also when set back to Auto I noticed more frequent beeping from my system but not sure if related because I do hear a beep once in awhile even though it's set to "Large"

Zyzzy
    thank you for pointing me to the Standard BIOS Settings -> [drive you want to change] -> IDE Access -> “Large”, that did the trick. (MUST be set to "Large" PRIOR TO INSTALL.

I check booting the other OS's and they boot with no problems.

Thanks again Guys

John

Conclusion of additional testing:
    Grub can't deal with the following HDD Geometry unless AHCI is implemented (didn't test Raid)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2907021 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

If AHCI IS NOT implemented and using IDE then HDD Geometry must be as as follow Prior To/During Install:
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    , 182401 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

NOTE: Grub appears to only see Primary partition(s) unless AHCI is implemented if your HDD Geometry is 16 heads 63 sectors/track. (didn't test Raid)

Additional Information on my HDDs that had 16 heads, 63 sectors/track:

Used Seagate/Mactor DiscWizard to Ready the drives for uses.

All my internal HDDs are New Seagate LP Series (Green drives) SATA drives. Check Seagate product guide at the following Link:
    http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100564361e.pdf

To be exact the drive I had all the Grub problems on was the ST31500541AS (7200.11) (Rev. E) 32MB Cashe SATA 3Gb/s. Also both my 1TB drives are ST31000520AS and the specs are also in same .pdf file.

The default Geometry of these drives is 16 heads 63 sectors/track. I thinks that this is because of the 4k sectors which most HDDs are going to and I think my Windows OS's are using.????

The newest Seagate Green drives version 7200.12 are 2TB & 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 32MB or 64MB 6Gb/s and I believe that they use the 4k block and have the 16 heads 63 sectors/track.

Also I heard back from Gigabyte today and basically they refused to help because they DO NOT SUPPORT LINUX because it's GNU GPL.

Data used for Conclusion

No Test - Before Ubuntu ever installed BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Auto
    Boot Ubuntu Live CD Click Install Ubuntu Icon on Desktop and install Ubuntu with Custom/Advance option.

Drive before Ubuntu ever installed with BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Auto - Windows XP Pro installed 1st partition sda1 - Windows 7 Pro installed 2nd partition sda2 - Data on 4th partition sda3 - 3rd partition Extended sda4 with 3 sub-partitions (/ sda5 - /home sda6 - swap sda7) for Ubuntu 10.10 (not installed yet).

HDD before Ubuntu installed

HDD after Ubuntu installed

Grub2 is installed to sda but only boots to Grub rescue -> "ls" only drives Grub sees (hd0) (msdos3) (msdos2) (msdos1) (fd0) Grub doesn't see (msdos5) where Grub is installed even if you change the BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Large.

Test 1 - Delete Ubuntu partition and change BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Large Boot Ubuntu Live CD Click Install Ubuntu Icon on Desktop and install Ubuntu with Custom/Advance option.

Drive before Ubuntu ever installed with BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Large - Windows XP Pro installed 1st partition sda1 - Windows 7 Pro installed 2nd partition sda2 - Data on 4th partition sda3 - 100GB Unallocated space.

HDD before Ubuntu installed (Note that the HDD heads changed form 16 to 240 because the IDE Access in the BIOS was changed to Large)
    240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 193801 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

HDD after Ubuntu installed
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

Grub2 is installed to sda boots all 3 OS's with no problems. (windows may perform a CHKDISK when you first boot into windows)

Test 2 - BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Auto Boot into Ubuntu on sda5 Purge Grub Then reinstall Grub with BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Auto

Drive Ubuntu is installed on change BIOS set to Native IDE & IDE Access set to Auto - Windows XP Pro installed 1st partition sda1 - Windows 7 Pro installed 2nd partition sda2 - Data on 4th partition sda3 - 3rd partition Extended sda4 with 3 sub-partitions (/ sda5 - /home sda6 - swap sda7) where Ubuntu 10.10 is installed.

HDD before Grub purge (Note that the HDD heads didn't change even though the IDE Access changed to Auto)

HDD after Grub purge and reinstalled

Grub2 is installed to sda boots all 3 OS's with no problems.
    Last edited by John4582; March 8th, 2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Correct a Typo

Beans

Nice to see it works! Thanks for test, I didn't try it yet, it was just an idea. I just browsed BIOS settings, but had no time to install Ubuntu/grub again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678