Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    50GB of data to move? Why? Just install Ubuntu and see if it boots.
    I would be worried about losing the data because it has a NTFS file system and I/Ubuntu would need an Ext4 file system. Also it had XP on it at one time and still has a MBR on it that I think I should wipe clean.

Another thing I just thought about is that I used Seagate Tools to format and ready the 1.5TB and both 1TB drives for uses.
    Then used a Seagate Tools to clone XP on the 1.5TB drive.
    Last edited by John4582; February 27th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
    A day without Learning something New is a day wasted, and yes Old Dogs can learn new Tricks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multi-Boot XP Pro, Win7, Ubuntu 10.10 Grub2 will not install right (Need Help)

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    You are definitely welcome.
    If you format and start again, won't you end up with partitions in the same places, and maybe the same problem?
    I don't think so because I will be using a different drive with only one Primary and a Logical partition with Ubuntu in it. Plus a different MBR.

Another thing I might try is taking my current 1.5TB (drive I'm trying to boot now) and booting into my Ultimate Boot CD and fixing my MBR so windows will boot again then boot the Ubuntu Live CD and purge Grub again and reinstall it to make sure that they're nothing left in the MBR that may be causing this issue. I say this because at one point Grub complained about FlexNet in sector 32 which no longer is showing up in the script file. I may even try this first, what you think.
    A day without Learning something New is a day wasted, and yes Old Dogs can learn new Tricks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As much as I would like to get my system working with Ubuntu, I'm really trying to find a solution that will/can work for other people if possible which can only be done by identifying the real issue not just implementing a workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do you have another mode beside native IDE. that may be putting into the mode where it cannot read the rest of the drive. Does it boot in AHCI mode?

Some more notes that I saved from others:
    The mode for the disc was set to AUTO. Changed it to LBA. Then it worked.
    Change SATA controller mode from AHCI to Compatibility (AHCI should be ok for Vista/7 & Linux), XP may not have AHCI driver.

SATA mode should stay in AHCI unless you are getting nasty issues (which shouldn't happen with linux or vista/win7). The main reason why people change SATA mode to 'compatibility' is because winXP wont work with AHCI without loading the drivers..and you need a floppy drive to load the drivers, which most newer computers don't have (and lots of people are lazy anyway).
    First of all I want to thank both of you guys for all the help and sticking with me.

Second, I want you to know that I booted up from the HDD and I'm running off the HDD Ubuntu 10.10 OS right now.

Oldfred was right on, it was the SATA Native IDE setting that hosed Grub. I had to set the OnChip SATA Type to AHCI in order to boot using Grub. As for the OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type setting it doesn't have any affect on Grub, it can be set to IDE or as SATA Type. My MB BIOS doesn't have a Compatibility or LBA setting so I have to find the AHCI XP drivers if I want to Multi-Boot XP and Ubuntu.

As for XP, well XP is hosed until I find the ACHI drivers for XP and install them.

Which will require:
    Going into have BIOS and changing the OnChip SATA Type back to Native IDE
    Modifying the MBR so I can boot into XP
    Installing the AHCI drivers for XP and testing to make sure they work
    Then booting back into Ubuntu via the Live CD and reinstalling Grub back into the MBR in the root of sda.
    I think we can call this one Solved.

Once again Thank You, Thank You, Thank both of You very much.

One more thing. Do either one of you know where to document this solution so it will be easily found by others with a smiler issue? Reason I ask is, I almost went for the /boot partition which might/might not have work and changing the BIOS (if the option exist) is much easier, safer, and known to work. Also once I find the drivers I can post a link to them in case someone else needs them or maybe Ubuntu can host them in their hardware drivers for multi-boot people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting, thanks for the feedback, and well done
    If you mark the thread as solved, using the Thread Tools near the top of the page, it will help people when searching. If you find the drivers just post a link in here.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have different settings for different sets of ports plug the XP drive in to either ports 4/5 and set those ports to IDE mode.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First I want to thank you Quackers and Oldfred for all your help.

I used the Thread Tool and marked it solved only because we identified the issue. I still can't Multi-Boot my installed version of XP, Win7, and a new install of Ubuntu 10.10 unless I want to reinstall both XP & Win7 first. ???? Grub will not boot anything unless I have SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS and XP & Win7 wont boot unless I have SATA set to IDE.

I know, it makes no since to me either. Apparently if you install windows with SATA in IDE mode you can't just flip the mode back to AHCI without installing the AHCI drivers, totally understandable, makes since to me, you need drivers. Issue is that the drivers for AHCI need to be installed when the system is installed, not sure why but OK, I don't build OS's I just install and use them.

What has me hosed is, that when you install windows you either install it with SATA set in the BIOS to IDE, AHCI or RAID. OK, the problem for me anyway is, at least for an XP install, if I understand it right both AHCI & RAID needs the drivers on a floppy, SATA has to be set in the BIOS to AHCI or RAID and you have to press the F6 key during the install in order to install the drivers. Needless to say, my XP install was done with SATA set to IDE mode, therefore when I installed Win7 I left SATA set to IDE because I thought that really didn't need AHCI or RAID because I've used windows since 1985, yes back when you spent a lot of time at the MSDOS prompt, and I've never needed either AHCI or RAID, until now.?????

Question - Do either one of you know if the Ubuntu install keeps a log file and if so how/where can I open it so I can try to determine what is causing this issue?

Now the part that's really confusing to me.

1. If you install Grub with SATA set to IDE mode in the BIOS and everything installs with no complaints/warnings from the installer about SATA being set to IDE mode, then why wont Grub boot up with SATA set to IDE mode in the BIOS????

2. Why do I have to change the SATA setting in the BIOS to AHIC after install in order for Grub to see the Logical partitions so Grub can boot, while at the same time causing Windows NOT to boot????

3. Am I the only person that has Windows installed in primary partitions and Ubuntu installed in a Logical partitions with SATA set to IDE during the Windows OS's installation so I can't install & boot Grub without reinstalling the Windows OS's????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have different settings for different sets of ports plug the XP drive in to either ports 4/5 and set those ports to IDE mode.
    I do have different settings for different sets of ports but XP, Win7, Data, and Ubuntu are all on the same drive and I don't want to use another 1TB drive just because Grub2 needs SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.

If there's no other solution I guess I will have to find another Linux system that doesn't use Grub2. I deleted the Ubuntu partitions about a hour ago and reinstalled it without booting to the Try Ubuntu frist and after it finished a lot of IO errors scrolled on the screen and Grub still wont boot without SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS.????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think we are back to what quacker's originally thought ( and i assumed it was new so it did not apply) of the 137GB BIOS limit on old computers.
    If you install either a separate small boot partition or the full system partition within the limit then there is no issue. Many of us just install a small windows system partition and a small Ubuntu system / partition and keep data in shared NTFS for windows data and either /home or a separate /data.

If you want to create a small /boot partition within the 137GB limit or a full Ubuntu / (root) partition of 20GB inside the 137GB limit that would test the theory.

I did find with google many sites with instructions on installing the drivers after the fact for windows XP. I thought win7 worked automatically, but do not have win7.

HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows
    However, in the real world the performance difference isn't huge.
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
    Also Google search on xp - ahci after install
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think we are back to what quacker's originally thought ( and i assumed it was new so it did not apply) of the 137GB BIOS limit on old computers.
    My computer is new, less than 3 months old; the motherboard I have is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 3.3) and if I not mistaken was released mid 2010. The HDD I'm using is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 1.5-TB Hard Drive. The CPU is an AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5 GHz. The memory is Crucial 2 X 2GB DDR2 800MHz for a total of 4096MB. Based on these specs I think we can rule out the 137GB limit unless it a Grub limit.

If you install either a separate small boot partition or the full system partition within the limit then there is no issue. Many of us just install a small windows system partition and a small Ubuntu system / partition and keep data in shared NTFS for windows data and either /home or a separate /data.

If you want to create a small /boot partition within the 137GB limit or a full Ubuntu / (root) partition of 20GB inside the 137GB limit that would test the theory.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here.????
    My current HDD partitions are as Follows:

• hd0 -> 1.5 TB
      • XP Pro -> 100 GB partition
      • Win7 Pro -> 100 GB partiton
      • Ubuntu -> 100.15 GB extended partition
        • "/" -> 19.09 GB extended partition
        • "/home -> 77.30 GB extended partition
        • Linux-swap -> 3.75 GB extended partition

• Data -> 1.07 TB

Thanks again guys

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast