Thread: Some files not copied properly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Some files not copied properly

Hi,

Lately I've tried rsync for backing up my home partition to an external drive, but I've run into some problems with some flac files (there might be other problematic files though, these are the ones I know of).

The external drive is formatted in ntfs.

Now, when adding my whole music directory (within my home directory) first as a library to VLC and then copying to the playlist, some files are not playable. I discovered this at work in windows, and resaved all the flac files using ex falso to skip windows incompatible characters. The problem persisted though. I tried the same thing in VLC in Ubuntu, and got again a set of non-playable files, partly, but not completely, overlapping the set of files that were not playable in windows. The original files (on my internal drive) are playable in VLC in Ubuntu.

Any idea what to do (except to go back to cp instead of rsync, rsync is faster, but if it doesn't copy correctly, it's not worth it)?

Thanks
    The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    apt-get install apt
    bash: apt-get: command not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Some files not copied properly

Quote Originally Posted by God Of Atheism View Post
    Hi,

Lately I've tried rsync for backing up my home partition to an external drive, but I've run into some problems with some flac files (there might be other problematic files though, these are the ones I know of).

The external drive is formatted in ntfs.

You cannot expect - ever - to properly back up Linux files to non-Linux filesystems.

Linux and Windows filesystems are different, and NTFS does not support all Linux attributes and filenames.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Some files not copied properly

Does your external drive need to stay NTFS? What other systems do you need it to attach to?

If you need multi OS access you could just format it as fat32; if not i would recommend formatting it ext3 or ext4 perhaps.

I wrote up a blog post about using rsync to copy a directory but excluding certain files/patterns. You could take a peak at that and ignore the exclude pieces and pay particular attention to the -n option. This allows you to do a dry run and "see what rsync would do."

I'll drop a link to my blog if you care to try that out:
    http://www.chadstovern.com/copy-all-...ern-with-rsync
    Last edited by chadhs; June 20th, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: just a formatting change =) (url update as well)