Thread: Questions about Banshee playlists.

Beans

Questions about Banshee playlists.

Following some problems with Rhythmbox (it seems to like to pick and choose what music it detects on my player. oh hi, I see 700 songs. next time, 1000 songs. next time, 0 songs, etc) I decided to switch players. Banshee looks like it fits the bill. And here's the thing. It recognizes the EXACT same number of songs on the mp3 player EACH time!

Here's the catch. I'm having some issues with the playlist. For example, let's say I create a playlist. Okay, fine. It doesn't show up on my mp3 player unless I export it and save it to the device itself. Easy enough. But what if I want to add more songs to the playlist? I figured I could import it in and add new stuff to it. The catch is, if I import the playlist in, instead of it being listed under Sansa Device - Music, it gets listed under the MAIN music listing in Banshee at the top left. I can't seem to get Banshee to grasp that I want the playlist ON MY MUSIC PLAYER not on the actual Music directory of the computer itself.

I just want the ability to go in and edit playlists whenever I choose. As I see it now, Banshee allows me to do 1 time setup, but importing it again to add/delete songs on the playlist is proving to be a headache, but I'm convinced I'm just doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Questions about Banshee playlists.

Update - Gave up. Amarok does the job far better than Banshee and Rhythmbox could ever hope to.

Beans

Bumping up to generate some conversation about Rhythmbox and Banshee. I find it hard to believe I should just accept that both of these powerful programs just, oops, can't handle the job, take it away Amarok. Amarok is no doubt awesome and I'll continue using it but I'm wondering if anybody else can chime in here with what I may be doing wrong.

Beans

While it appears you have given up, I wanted to weigh in that I have used Amarok, Rhythmbox, and Banshee, and I've given up the other two for Banshee. Here's how it can recognize your individual playlists and transfer them to your player:

1. Create a Smart Playlist, and name it after your portable player.
    2. Set the conditions of the smart playlists to "Playlist" and "is" and select the playlists you want on your media player.
    3. Sync the smart playlist with your media player.
    4. It will copy all the files, and populate your playlists - on the player - automatically at the end.

I hope this technique helps to change your mind about Banshee. It's a little roundabout, but better than exporting all playlists individually - and unfortunately, you can't sync Smart Playlists within your main Smart Playlist.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dockles View Post
    little roundabout, but better than exporting all playlists individually -
    I don't understand why there isn't an "Export All" option.
    I am not a lawyer...yet.
    Music Manumit Podcast - remixable Creative Commons music!
    My neglected blog: http://douglasawh.wordpress.com
    My website: http://opensourceplayground.org