Thread: Extensions Causing Libreoffice/OOo to Freeze for a While

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Extensions Causing Libreoffice/OOo to Freeze for a While

Just want to find out if anyone has been having this issue, and if they have managed to resolve it?

This has always happened in Openoffice.org and have now continued since I moved to Libreoffice. I know the two extensions responsible: Language Tool and Afterthedeadline. Either of them on their own still result in these periodic freezes.

The freezes often occur just after starting up an office program. It will continue for as much as up to a minute. It's really annoying especially when I'm trying to write something quickly.

I know some wise guy will probably say, "why don't you just stop using those extensions since you have identified them as the source of this issue? You can just practice to improve your grammar instead."

I would say to you, that a grammar checker is still essential even if your grammar is perfect, as there is still the issue of human oversight.

Anyhow, would like some feedback on how to get rid of this annoying issue.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Extensions Causing Libreoffice/OOo to Freeze for a While

Ok, I did some fiddling around that helped somewhat. I went into the settings and increased the memory in each field there. The freezing time has reduced. However, I wouldn't recommend this work around to anyone who is on a computer with not much extra RAM. I have a lot, so I can experiment. I'm going to increase the memory a bit more to see if it will stop completely.

Nevertheless, I'm still open to further suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

Very good performance when I assign more memory. I set the amount of memory to:
    Libreoffice use 50MB
    Memory per object - 12 MB
    Cache for inserted objects - 30

With this setting all the freezing seem to have stopped. Libreoffice is starting so fast that I don't even see the start up screen.

I guess I can mark this as solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a similar but different problem. I am using the database program. When I first started using Open Office it would take several minutes to go from the first record to the last. Then, as the program was developed the time fell to a few seconds. Now, it again takes many minutes to get to the last record. I was wondering if I had gone past some kind of limit of the number of records allowed. It worked fine with 27,000 records but now I have 28,000 and more. I did try increasing the cache size. That had no effect. I will try increasing the other memory as you have done.

Thank you for this post. Regards.

I have just tried your suggested settings. The jump from first to last record is much faster. I first tried OpenOffice use 40MB and Memory per object 10MB but that was still slow. Now I have set it to your settings and the jump takes a just a blink. Thank you again.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; February 22nd, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530