Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup MythTV for remote access?

Beans

How to setup MythTV for remote access?

I have a laptop that I use only as a FE and it can access my Mythbox (FE & BE) from anywhere on my home network. Works great.

I can also add that I have successfully used MythWeb remotely (outside my home network) using a Windows Laptop. So everything works - MythTV, port forwarding, etc.

Now I would like to use my FE only laptop remotely (outside of my home network)...

1. what ports do I need to open to the outside?
    2. what settings need to be changed in FE & BE?

PS - let's forget about bandwidth issues for the sake of this discussion. I just would like to know how to use a FE outside of my home network.

Beans

Re: How to setup MythTV for remote access?

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    I have a laptop that I use only as a FE and it can access my Mythbox (FE & BE) from anywhere on my home network. Works great.

I can also add that I have successfully used MythWeb remotely (outside my home network) using a Windows Laptop. So everything works - MythTV, port forwarding, etc.

Now I would like to use my FE only laptop remotely (outside of my home network)...

1. what ports do I need to open to the outside?
    2. what settings need to be changed in FE & BE?

PS - let's forget about bandwidth issues for the sake of this discussion. I just would like to know how to use a FE outside of my home network.
    This is seriously not recommended. mythbackend is not designed to be secure on untrusted networks.

If you insist on this then create a VPN tunnel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    This is seriously not recommended. mythbackend is not designed to be secure on untrusted networks.

If you insist on this then create a VPN tunnel.
    Seconded. Create a secure tunnel. Don't open up ports you don't need to
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Seconded. Create a secure tunnel. Don't open up ports you don't need to

I understand that it's a security risk. Now consider this question as a theoretical one. Barring this risk, what do I need to do to connect remotely?

(NOTE: I just enabled mythweb's new flash video feature and it works beautifully in the small preview player. This feature in MythTV 0.24 is great. I didn't know that it could convert *.mpg files on the fly into flash video. But I'd like to explore all that is possible with MythTV - with your help of course.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    I understand that it's a security risk. Now consider this question as a theoretical one. Barring this risk, what do I need to do to connect remotely?

(NOTE: I just enabled mythweb's new flash video feature and it works beautifully in the small preview player. This feature in MythTV 0.24 is great. I didn't know that it could convert *.mpg files on the fly into flash video. But I'd like to explore all that is possible with MythTV - with your help of course.)
    Create a VPN/SSH tunnel so it looks like you are on the same network.

I'm not going to help you make your network less secure, it's obvious that if you don't already know how to do this that you shouldn't be making decisions about the security of your own network.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    Create a VPN/SSH tunnel so it looks like you are on the same network.

I'm not going to help you make your network less secure, it's obvious that if you don't already know how to do this that you shouldn't be making decisions about the security of your own network.

I understand your position. I'll figure out if VPN is possible with my router. Not all routers support this feature.

Beans

I found some instructions for creating a secure tunnel to forward the ports of your choice to your internal box. You do not have to open any ports external EXECPT SSH.

On your unix box, simply install squid (the proxy) and make sure the SSH has good security on it.

Heres the link

My client side machines are Windows, but the idea / concept should be very much the same for a linux laptop im guessing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winewood View Post
    I found some instructions for creating a secure tunnel to forward the ports of your choice to your internal box. You do not have to open any ports external EXECPT SSH.

On your unix box, simply install squid (the proxy) and make sure the SSH has good security on it.

Heres the link

My client side machines are Windows, but the idea / concept should be very much the same for a linux laptop im guessing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this out and get back to you.

Beans

I confirmed tihs on an Ubuntu laptop that I can download Putty server and this works just like Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by winewood View Post
    I confirmed tihs on an Ubuntu laptop that I can download Putty server and this works just like Windows.
    putty is a client not a server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast