Thread: Internal Microphone on iMac 20 8,1 doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Internal Microphone on iMac 20 8,1 doesn't work

Hello:

I am really struggling to get my the internal microphone on my iMac to function. I was able to get the sound working by installing ALSA Mixer and appending the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file with [options snd-hda-intel model="imac24"]. Input is not muted. That file is attached.

My gnome-volume-control recognizes an 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo' device, but it picks up no sound. Here's the chip information: Realtek ALC889A. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Internal Microphone on iMac 20 8,1 doesn't work

The alsa fix is to get the audio output to work. To get your mic working you need the AppleUSBVideosupport http://www.mediafire.com/?81xtkqyttjt and put it on your desktop. then go to package manager and search isight this will bring up 1 result "isight firmware something' not sure of exact name. tick then apply then when it asks for the directory of isight firmware type "/home/username/Desktop/the exact driver filename. Shutdown unplug from power thenn reboot. This gets video working but still finding fix for mic input sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks. Oddly enough, the video was working just fine. So I have video and sound output, but no sound input.

Beans

In the alsa-base.conf file, in the line
    options snd-hda-intel model="imac24"
    change the model from "imac24" to "mbp3"

Then force reload of the alsa configuration by doing in a terminal:
    sudo alsa force-reload

Afterwards, open alsamixer again. Now you should have an input (mic) channel, select it (arrow keys) and unmute it (m key) - btw, imho you should unmute all channels.
    Press Esc to exit and save alsamixer configuration.

This should solve the problem (worked for me! iMac 8,1 ).

Note - I didn't have any video problem so did not need to patch/download any video driver.

Beans

just another note: if the alsa force-reload doesn't work, you'll have to reboot, then the new alsa settings will take effect.