Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destroyed and mangled MBR, have mercy

Beans

Re: Destroyed and mangled MBR, have mercy

OK, thanks again for your help. I'll take my issue to another forum now and see if I can resolve it...

To recap, in case anyone else has this problem, I simply ran TestDisk, which restored the partition table, and then restored the boot manager by using the Vista DVD. Whereas the DVD would crash if I connected the drive via SATA, when I connected through a USB adapter (I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-111-_-Product), the Vista DVD loaded, and recognized the windows installation. It didn't recognize it before running testdisk.

Testdisk can be gotten here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I may just backup and reinstall, but recalling back to how much of a pain that is, I might still consider a few options.
    -Julian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You seem to have four disks and all of them damaged? Is it possible that they were configured in some kind of a four disk raid array? That suggests a raid10 perhaps. In that case attempting to install to one disk (ie sda) of a four disk raid would trash your partition table. That would be also be possible if your raid level were not supported by dmraid and the raid wasn't recognized during install.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

No, nothing like that. It's just a single 320gb drive. I think the reason it showed 4 'partitions' is that the partition table was broken. Why 4? It might have something to do with Plop bootloader, with which I was playing with many settings.

Unless you're referring to this:
    Code:
    =======Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive==============

sdc sdd sde sdf
    Which is simply a multi-card reader, I believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12