Thread: Error on Install from USB Drive!

Beans

Error on Install from USB Drive!

Hi all,
    After being using Windows server for a bit, I was to try Ubuntu server. I saw the bootable USB drive, so I took that option ( Since I dont have CDs at home XD). I used the Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.3.4 (from Ubuntu website) and used the ISO image from Ubuntu website ( ubuntu-10.10-server-amd64.iso ).

Everything was running fine, I was able to choose Language, Location, Keyboard layout, then the instalation did a Hardware Scan, start loading some files then this:

--------------------------------| [!!] Load installer components from CD |--------------------------
    There was a problem reading data from the CD-ROM. Please make sure it is in the drive. If retrying does not work, you should check the integrity of your CD-ROM.

Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?

<yes> <no>

-------------------------------------------------

So, I was using only a USB pen Drive, no CD-Rom.
    Any tip??

Thanks.

P.S.: Im using a HP Compaq 6720s Laptop.

Beans

Re: Error on Install from USB Drive!

I was doing the same thing today, and got exactly the same results. I couldn't solve the problem, so I had to burn the ISO to CDROM. Kinda sucks, because I didn't have a CD Drive installed when I started this project.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

CD-ROM -- USB same thing. Appears that something is not right on the USB stick. Many people have trouble at first with making a good USB Install stick. I've had good luck with unetbootin, http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans

I tried with that program, and to install on USB drive no problem.

When I tried to install I choose default, Then in the same place ( after the Hardware scan), I got this:

-------------------| [!!] Detect and mount CD-ROM |------------------------------------
    Your installation CD-ROM coudn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not in the drive. If so you can insert and try again.

Try again to mount the CD-ROM?

<Yes> <No>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any tips??

Thanks

Beans

Ok People,
    I just had to bought a CD ( the only one in months).
    And its working.

One other very funny fact.

If you burn the Ubuntu Image on a CD-Rom works, but if you burn it on a DvD it doesnt LOL what? yeah, dont know. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's odd. I've used a dvd or two in the past and they've been fine. The dvd type could be a problem (-R,+R, etc)
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

I know. I used +R and it just doesnt Boot. (note: That DvD was burned in the same drive XD).

Anyway, Im trying to set up the instalation at the momment, Is taking forever to Erase a existing partition ( 32GB LOOL).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ralm View Post
    I know. I used +R and it just doesnt Boot. (note: That DvD was burned in the same drive XD).

Anyway, Im trying to set up the instalation at the momment, Is taking forever to Erase a existing partition ( 32GB LOOL).
    Yeah, it reads/runs much slower from a cd/dvd that it does a usb stick, or your hdd of course.

As far as cd's go, I think -R is what you need.
    Intel-System Freeze Post#22
    How to mark your thread [SOLVED]
    Registered Linux User-#473773-Ubuntu User-#23255-Machine-#384048

Beans

It shouldnt make any diference, the drive just need to support it. IF was the same drive that record the DvD it should boot with it, but it doesnst. I dont care now. I bought CDs and it0s working.

Beans

I'm sorry I'm replying to such an old thread, but I came across this topic when having the same problem, so I though I'd post the solution here.

Three files in the "\pool\main\l\linux" folder on the usb stick have incorrect naming:

firewire-core-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ud
    fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.ude
    pcmcia-storage-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.u

They should read:

firewire-core-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.udeb
    fs-secondary-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.udeb
    pcmcia-storage-modules-2.6.35-22-generic-di_2.6.35-22.33_amd64.udeb

Apparently the filename is truncated to 64 characters. This seems to happen when the USB stick was created using the Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.3.4 running on Windows 7.