Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Jailbreaking My iPod 4g (4.2) Allow Me To Use My iPod in Ubuntu properly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Will Jailbreaking My iPod 4g (4.2) Allow Me To Use My iPod in Ubuntu properly?

Hola!

Right now im having some horrifying experiences with my iPod 4g (iOS 4.2) and ubuntu maverick (technically Linux Mint 10, but we all know this is maverick-based). THE THING JUST WONT WORK!!!!!!!!

When i plug it in, it shows me a dialogue that basically says "this is an audio device, what would you like to do?" and lists several of my media management apps. I tried all of them, and the only one that gets somewhat towards accomplishing absolutely nothing is Rhythmbox , which properly mounts the iPod, but upon doing anything with said iPod, it immediately unmounts. So my question is this: will jailbreaking it help me at least add my music natively through linux, no problemo? No virtual windows crap, just my beloved ubuntu laptop.

And if it will, i dont know the first clue about doing a jailbreak. I have access to windows machines, so if the jailbreaking process requires one, no problem there. Could you also guide me/point me to a guide that will help me with the process?

If for some reason you find my question incomplete/confusing/lacking details, PLEASE dont just skip over to the next forum question, ask me for whatever details you need, ill be glad to give them. I JUST WANT MY STUPID iPOD TO WORK WITHOUT NEEDING WINDOWS!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
    I dont use linux because its free, im free because i use linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Will Jailbreaking My iPod 4g (4.2) Allow Me To Use My iPod in Ubuntu properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Blake. View Post
    Hola!

Right now im having some horrifying experiences with my iPod 4g (iOS 4.2) and ubuntu maverick (technically Linux Mint 10, but we all know this is maverick-based). THE THING JUST WONT WORK!!!!!!!!

When i plug it in, it shows me a dialogue that basically says "this is an audio device, what would you like to do?" and lists several of my media management apps. I tried all of them, and the only one that gets somewhat towards accomplishing absolutely nothing is Rhythmbox , which properly mounts the iPod, but upon doing anything with said iPod, it immediately unmounts. So my question is this: will jailbreaking it help me at least add my music natively through linux, no problemo? No virtual windows crap, just my beloved ubuntu laptop.

And if it will, i dont know the first clue about doing a jailbreak. I have access to windows machines, so if the jailbreaking process requires one, no problem there. Could you also guide me/point me to a guide that will help me with the process?

If for some reason you find my question incomplete/confusing/lacking details, PLEASE dont just skip over to the next forum question, ask me for whatever details you need, ill be glad to give them. I JUST WANT MY STUPID iPOD TO WORK WITHOUT NEEDING WINDOWS!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Even if you get it to work you wont be able to sync anything. Only music you can sync, just used a Windows Virtual machine with iTunes. Windows its in its own world, and you dnt need to leave GNU/Linux ^-^
    Where is the Love?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Will Jailbreaking My iPod 4g (4.2) Allow Me To Use My iPod in Ubuntu properly?

ok, thanks a bunch!!!!
    I dont use linux because its free, im free because i use linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you got ipod applications installed??

if not goto applications / software center + type ipod in search bar
    install both gtkpod and hippo

i dont use rythymboc or banshee to sync ipods

i simply open folders and i can add/remove music photos videos

hope that helps
    When all is said and done, this is the only life you have.

Beans

I'd recommend jailbreaking it (for a number of other reasons and increased functionality published online elsewhere) regardless. Once you do, you can install on the phone a file manager like ifile, and then with that move things around and navigate through your own device as much as you like.

I haven't found a nice application alternative like ifunbox.exe for Ubuntu, but the last few versions of Ubuntu (now running 10.10) have natively supported for me the IpodTouch, so I've just been using a workaround wherein transfer videos (converted to ipod/iphone format using handbrake) or jailbreak app install files to the DCIM folder of the ipod, and then using ifile to move them whereever wanted. Videos are directly opened through ifile and play through either the native video player, or vlc or whatever you like.

It's not a perfect solution, and it doesn't work for putting music in the library (which for me has always worked fine with Rhythmbox - just make sure the device is plugged in first before opening rhythmbox), but it works.

Beans

You can install this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~pmcenery/+archive/ppa

And update your system.

After that, you should be able to use your ipod

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

not jailbreaking needed just install gtkpod from the software centre for transfering music, films. however if you want to sync apps your in a bit of a pickle without windows unfortunatly
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Will Jailbreaking My iPod 4g (4.2) Allow Me To Use My iPod in Ubuntu properly?

Just search "Wine" in the searchbox of Ubuntu Software Central. Then download and install it and iTunes. Boom! App management, music management, etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MacintoshLover View Post
    Just search "Wine" in the searchbox of Ubuntu Software Central. Then download and install it and iTunes. Boom! App management, music management, etc.
    While I was able to install iTunes under WINE it wouldn't work properly. I could click on the library but nothing showed up on the right window. I also couldn't exit (menu grayed out). I had to kill the process.

None of the apps like Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee, etc show the iPod when I plug it in. I have yet to find a usable solution to using my iPod Touch 4g under Linux.

Beans

Is there a way to sync contacts on the iPod Touch, via Linux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast