Thread: !!!! HELP !!! Error with MYSQL Apache2- file owner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry !!!! HELP !!! Error with MYSQL Apache2- file owner

Hello

I have made a big mistake. and I hope someone can help.

I have a website on my Ubuntu server ( Version 10.04 with a LMAP) I am having problems accessing my site remotely in order to upload pictures to the website. This has been a low priority but long term problem.... I have posted questions about this issue on this forum without resolving my problem...so i have been holding off fixing it until I have time......now I have time... So I thought it might be worth while to try something different to fix my problem. I thought I might create a directory in the VAR folder to uploads files to directly.....In order to do this I thought first I need to change the owner of the VAR director...so this is what I did.

SUDO chown -R root:user var

of course once I did this my website went down! I saw the following error message using Firefox.

ERROR establishing a database connection

Seeing this issue. I attempted to correct my mistake and changed the owner back to root:root using the following:

sudo chown -R root:root VAR

I thought this would set everything back to normal....However, It did not. I then attempted the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

This did not reconnect the database.....So I restarted the server. During the restart I received two new errors.

Could not update ICEauthority file var/lib/gdm/iceauthority

There is a problem with the configuration server. (/user/lib/libgconf204/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)

Now..... I know I screwed up.... What I need is some help to get myself unscrewed up. My website is currently down. I need it back up ASAP.

Please.... any help would be great?

Spindler
    Last edited by spindler; February 18th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: !!!! HELP !!! Error with MYSQL Apache2- file owner

So I have some new information. I attempted and failed to log into MySQL database. I have several user names including ROOT, User and other users dedicated for individual websites and all of them do not allow me access to the MySQL database.

I am logging in using the http control panel. http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

1. How do I reset the MySQL user name and password?
    2. Is there a way I can reboot MySQL?
    Is there a config file I can edit to reset the password?

Have help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Spindler