Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Generic Database Frontend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Best Generic Database Frontend

I'm looking for some feedback. My job requires me to regularly connect to other people's database servers. These are usually running either Oracle or SQL Server but I see a smattering of MySQL and I saw Postgres once (Yay!).

I have used the SQuirrel SQL Client for the last couple of year, but it is slowly driving me batty. I like the flexibility/dependability of using JDBC (I have a very nice collection of JDC drivers and I know how to use 'em) but I'd like to find a lighter/saner tool.

Especially with SQL Server (which is very common, unfortunately) SQuirrel is weird. It will randomly disconnect or get dropped. And then it takes forever to reload things when I exit and come back in.

My question is this -- What generic/universal database front-ends/shells are people using? Connectivity to Oracle/SQL Server are an absolute must-have. The ability to connect to MySQL/Postgres is desirable, especially for when I'm working on something at home where I get to choose the database system in use. I hate switching tools, thus I'm not looking for a 'xyz' is best for Oracle but won't connect to squat else.

I've tried using Vim's dbext but I can't seem to figure out how the heck it connects to a working ODBC connection. Nor can I get it to do a connection through anything else. Using JDBC doesn't appear to be an option with dbext but I'm not married to the idea of continuing to use JDBC. The ODBC connection does work; I use it with R all the time. But for some reason, Vim refuses to use it.

Thoughts? If you suggest dbext -- any links on how to configure it?
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

Re: Best Generic Database Frontend

I'm going to propose an answer that will be unpopular here -- Microsoft Access. It will connect to everything in your list via ODBC drivers, and you can create a client database that links to tables in multiple external DBs. While I'm pretty adept at writing SQL queries, it's often nice to be able to create a query or report graphically using Access.

I use Linux for 99% or more of my computing needs, but I haven't found anything that can compete with Access as a graphical front-end for databases.

(I don't know about JDBC, but I can't imagine there's any standard out there that cannot be connected to Access.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Brave soul, suggesting Access on the Ubuntu Forums. I have done that before, running Access in a VM, but I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve a VM. I've been playing around with Eclipse, but have had a hard time setting it up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I'm going to propose an answer that will be unpopular here -- Microsoft Access. It will connect to everything in your list via ODBC drivers.
    I use Linux for 99% or more of my computing needs, but I haven't found anything that can compete with Access as a graphical front-end for databases.

(I don't know about JDBC, but I can't imagine there's any standard out there that cannot be connected to Access.)
    Please note, this is being done by ODBC not VM.

While I am not a lover if M$, I do appreciate Access and agree with most of what Seijji<sp> said. I have found these articles to be helpful and perhaps they will help the OP.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mdbtools
    http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/mdb/index.html
    http://solyaris.wordpress.com/2007/0...iles-on-linux/

and,
    http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=75155
    http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=41006
    http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=39816

HTH,

Thorny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thornmastr View Post
    Please note, this is being done by ODBC not VM.
    I assume you are referring to my earlier statement that I would prefer to not use a VM. On my current system, using Access requires me to use a VM. Of course, Access uses Windows' ODBC system to connect to various databases but the only way for me to (practically) use Access is to run it as a virtual machine (KVM in my case).

This is an effective solution, in that most databases include ODBC drivers for Windows and Access can then use these connections to run queries against the foreign data set, but I would like to find a tool that doesn't require me to start a Windows VM, just to run a query.

I don't even mind using tools like sqsh, but I would like to find one that is flexible enough to connect to multiple databases, so I only have to become familiar with one tool.

My workflow looks like this - I develop a few queries, to access to client data I need. Once I have a query (queries) providing the necessary info, I run these through R (using the appropriate connection RODBC, RMySQL, etc.) to actually download the data. Once the data is in R, I crunch it and do things with it. Using R as a development platform for the queries (and any stored procedures/views I need to produce) is impractical, thus my search for a better tool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    I assume you are referring to my earlier statement that I would prefer to not use a VM. On my current system, using Access requires me to use a VM. Of course, Access uses Windows' ODBC system to connect to various databases but the only way for me to (practically) use Access is to run it as a virtual machine (KVM in my case).

My workflow looks like this - I develop a few queries, to access to client data I need. Once I have a query (queries) providing the necessary info, I run these through R (using the appropriate connection RODBC, RMySQL, etc.) to actually download the data. Once the data is in R, I crunch it and do things with it. Using R as a development platform for the queries (and any stored procedures/views I need to produce) is impractical, thus my search for a better tool.
    My error. I thought you were looking for a tool simply to open and query the database. As I'm almost certain you are aware ODBC will let you easily attach to an Access mdb. I did not realize you needed to use the rest of Access such as the Query designer, form designer, etc. In your situation, you are absolutely correct. VM is the only route to take. I wish I had a better solution but obviously I do not.

Thorn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Apparently, nobody else does either. I may just continue using SQuirrelSQL, until I can find something that works a little better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unfortunately, I've never looked at SQuirrelSQL and so I don't know where you're coming from. I have played around with Eclipse DTP some, albeit in WinXP at work, and so I might be able to help you get that working. You might also try running TOAD under Wine:
    http://www.toadworld.com/BLOGS/tabid...-on-Linux.aspx
    I have no idea how that will work out, but I love the Windows version of TOAD for Oracle.
    Last edited by StephenDavison; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
    MSI Wind U100-432US (Synaptics touchpad, Intel Wifi Link 1000, Bison webcam rev.03), Ubuntu 10.10
    System76 Ratel Ultra (Core i5-650, 4GB DDR3, 1.5 TB HDD)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

are you connecting to a database for the data or for management?

for management, there is tora, but I haven't bothered too much to get it to work with Oracle or any other DB.

For the data, there is Aquadata Studio which I used for a short while while taking a DB class.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am more interested in the data than management.

TOAD looks interesting. I downloaded the Freeware Toad for Data Analysts. I will look at Aqua Studio too. In my wanderings, I found a tool called RazorSQL which also looks interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast