Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Asus EEE Slate Owners?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Any Asus EEE Slate Owners?

Pastabasta, exact same thing happens to me after I installed Ubuntu 10.10 - After some reading, I decided to give the netbook edition a shot (apparently multi-touch and keyboard are supposed to be out of the box) but when I pull up the keyboard, the touchscreen fails - the stylus relocates but doesn't "click" so I can't select anything or type anything. I guess it's not going to be as straight forward and I would like. I saw some videos on youtube with multitouch and all that and it was just very smooth so I'm guessing (hoping) that with a bit of fiddling it should work...
    keep posting here on your progress - I'm not going to have as much time as I would like to do a whole in the next week but will keep checking back to see if you've had any progress and I'll post whatever I figure out - I'm sure we can figure it out.
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm away this week too (I don't even have it with me this weekend). Monday I'll start fiddling with it again.

I found this page a while ago (before I got the slate)

http://ep121.proboards.com/index.cgi...ote=219&page=1

Apparently it is possible to get the multi touch working, and the bluetooth can be enabled with the drivers on the page I posted earlier. Unfortunately, this guy didn't give many details, but I found the evtouch drivers for multi touch a while ago (didn't save the link ... sigh).

Another possibly useful page

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep12...nux-ep121.html

Beans
    Distro

I'll check that link out. this is another link that might be useful:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT

updating everything now - still ~300MB to go, over wireless... Once that's done, if I'm still awake, I'm going to give the above link a try.

One thing I thought was interesting is that there are no restricted drivers on the slate - I was hoping that something would pop up related to the touchscreen.

Beans
    Distro

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10603076

Someone made progress. See the above

Beans
    Distro

So, just an update on the bluetooth, the problem is with the keyboard itself and how it connects. Here's how you can install the updated driver and consistently connect the keyboard. The following will enable the brian-rogers repository, install bluez, and remove the brian-rogers repository (for maverick). The reason why it should be removed, is that there are other packages (here for more info) that are not relevant to the bluetooth and if the repository is not removed and an update/upgrade is performed, other packages will be updated as well.

In a terminal, type:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:brian-rogers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install bluez
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brian-rogers-ppa-maverick.list
    (source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647637&page=4)
    Then, hold the bluetooth sync button on the keyboard for approximately 30 sec (this is what is tricky about it) - the keyboard LED will first turn green, then it will go off for a few seconds, then it will blink green and red - that's when the keyboard is ready to connect.

Then just open the bluetooth preferences (taskbar icon) and it will find the keyboard and connect.
    Last edited by Victormd; March 30th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Do you find that you have to do this every time you turn on the computer??

I loaded the atheros drivers on the page that I posted instead of the bluez update. In fact, I couldn't get bluez to work without the atheros drivers. Anyways, every time I turn on the computer, the keyboard pairs immediately without any need to press the button underneath. I usually have to tap a random key or two so that the keyboard comes out of standby, but that's it.

Beans
    Distro

Nope, only had to do it once, after that, it automatically connects at startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Victormd View Post
    So, just an update on the bluetooth, the problem is with the keyboard itself and how it connects. [...]
    I've got a bluetooth audio headphone (jaybird), I wonder if I can pair it with the slate. I'll try it out once i got the slate.
    Last edited by buraitopengin; April 3rd, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I've got a bluetooth audio headphone (jaybird), I wonder if I can pair it with the slate.
    Stick to Maverick for now and you should be Ok, just follow the instructions posted earlier in this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello everyone. I'm a new Eee Slate (EP121) owner (4gb/64gb/i5-HT version). Has anyone tried 11.04 Beta on their Slate? If so, are any of its more important facets mainlined and "just work" compared to 10.10? As soon as I purchased it, I thought of installing Android Honeycomb as its "minimal" OS and Ubuntu with its Unity display as its "full power" one. I can't believe how much the included windows crapware is slowing down a system that should be so swift!

I'm just hoping I can get everything working. I've actually never worked with Intel integrated drivers before, Windows or Linux - I'm so used to using AMD/ATI (and prior to that Nvidia).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast