Thread: Help with synaptic package manager.

Beans

Help with synaptic package manager.

I am experiencing a problem with the Ubuntu software center. When ever I try to install or uninstall something it takes a very long time and then nothing happens. I thought that it is a result of a package that is incorrectly installed. When I try to go in to the synaptic package manager I get this error message E:dpkg was interrupted you must manually run sudo dpkg - configure -a to correct the problem. E:cache ->open()failed, please report. From the message I thought that I could type sodo dpkg -- configure -a into the terminal and that this would resolve the problem. When I do this I am asked for my password I thought that this would be the one that I enter to log in on my computer but when I try to enter it nothing happens. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Help with synaptic package manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan5901 View Post
    From the message I thought that I could type sodo dpkg -- configure -a into the terminal and that this would resolve the problem.
    It's 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'. And there's no space between -- and configure. Check for typos when using the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan5901 View Post
    When I do this I am asked for my password I thought that this would be the one that I enter to log in on my computer but when I try to enter it nothing happens.
    Use your login password, but in the terminal you get no visual feedback when you type the password in. Don't worry - it is going in. Just type it in and press ENTER.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Help with synaptic package manager.

And if sudo dpkg --configure -a returns some errors, please post the complete output here for further assistance.